• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
All the demo shows skis on snow parallel pointing in opposite directions, that's just impossible for me, my hip can't rotate that much and always end up trip myself over with one ski or the other. :huh:

Jump turns are fun if I know I can land on my edges and hold, otherwise it's real sketchy.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've seen videos of ski tourers doing kick turns while facing uphill. They look easier and appear to require less external hip rotation, for those of us whose hips just don't move that way - however I'm not sure if they're doable with a fixed heel. All the videos have the heel free while they turn, which appears to make it easier for the second ski to change direction without digging into the snow.

It would be great to learn a technique for turning around in technical terrain. Is there anything aside from kick turns and jump turns (which could be a bit sketchy in some spots)? Or is that pretty much it?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've seen videos of ski tourers doing kick turns while facing uphill. They look easier and appear to require less external hip rotation, for those of us whose hips just don't move that way - however I'm not sure if they're doable with a fixed heel. All the videos have the heel free while they turn, which appears to make it easier for the second ski to change direction without digging into the snow.

It would be great to learn a technique for turning around in technical terrain. Is there anything aside from kick turns and jump turns (which could be a bit sketchy in some spots)? Or is that pretty much it?
Consider this about that. ;-) When doing a kick turn while touring, you set your skis at about a 90° angle to each other. When one ski is lifted off the ground we don't slide backward due to having climbing skins on our skis to keep us from sliding backwards. So while easier from a physical point of view, it is impractical without skins.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Consider this about that. ;-) When doing a kick turn while touring, you set your skis at about a 90° angle to each other. When one ski is lifted off the ground we don't slide backward due to having climbing skins on our skis to keep us from sliding backwards. So while easier from a physical point of view, it is impractical without skins.
Also, with a fixed heel, and a steep slope, you cannot clear the slope with your ski.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ah, that all makes sense. I forgot about the skins. :)

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
All the demo shows skis on snow parallel pointing in opposite directions, that's just impossible for me, my hip can't rotate that much and always end up trip myself over with one ski or the other. :huh:

Jump turns are fun if I know I can land on my edges and hold, otherwise it's real sketchy.

Land your kicked ski further apart. And learn to bring the other ski around reasonably quickly. It's not good to stop at that middle point. This is true with either kick turn you choose.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I just finished a 3-day Avalanche course and one of the most mind-bending thing we saw (3 PSIA Ed Staff members) was the guide's "flamingo" turn. It does the same as the kick turn without the acrobatics. You can do it much more easily while facing uphill in the skin track. Once I get the chance I'll try to get video.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I just finished a 3-day Avalanche course and one of the most mind-bending thing we saw (3 PSIA Ed Staff members) was the guide's "flamingo" turn. It does the same as the kick turn without the acrobatics. You can do it much more easily while facing uphill in the skin track. Once I get the chance I'll try to get video.
I would like to see that. I know a flamingo turn, but it doesn't sound like mine is the same as yours.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It looks like this:
Flamingo-ski.jpg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Its a must. Thanks for the reminder, need to teach my kids this. Maybe learn the worm turn first? I did teach my daughter that, she has that down.

James

Out There
Instructor
Kick turn extremo...
Check out this one. It appears as if he does his uphill leg first, placing it below the downhill leg.
5:45 for context, happens at 5:55
Chamonix mountaineering/freeride insanity-

James

Out There
Instructor
It appears as if he does his uphill leg first, placing it below the downhill leg.
Actually I’m wrong. It is the downhill leg he initially changes direction with.
Takes a lot of experience and comfort on super steeps to do a kick turn there. Well just to be there too. Yikes.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually I’m wrong. It is the downhill leg he initially changes direction with.
Takes a lot of experience and comfort on super steeps to do a kick turn there. Well just to be there too. Yikes.
I gave it the :geek:'s mainly because he skis to his right a bit on one ski as he brings his formerly uphill leg around. Looks scary to me.

Sponsor

Staff online