• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are Atomic youth SG:s starting at 175 cm/r27ish metres. Quite a few athletes on them on the first speed camps in U12 over here. Elan has a nice one too around 180 cm. Bring cash to swaps. Second hand SG:s go fast (...). They don’t see a lot of usage so a comparatively old looking model can be a good choice.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've got a 185 Nordica SG I'd like to get rid of. hardly used due to ACL tear in the first U14 season. I figured it made sense to get a jr. SG ski after seeing the size of the UVM women that people are buying used GS skis from for their skinny little 12 year olds. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work... Paula Moltzan = 2 U12s

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got a 185 Nordica SG I'd like to get rid of. hardly used due to ACL tear in the first U14 season. I figured it made sense to get a jr. SG ski after seeing the size of the UVM women that people are buying used GS skis from for their skinny little 12 year olds. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work... Paula Moltzan = 2 U12s

Great opportunity for someone. As has been pointed out a proper SG skis is quite a different animal to a Women's GS ski. And of course because there is so few of them around you can use it for 2 years for your U14 then have a ready market for it so in reality the net cost for a couple of seasons is very small (zero?)

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
My daughter would absolutely love that. She loves speed (mom is not as big of a fan :) but still has to wait to officially race it. However because she trains with older kids at academy she has been able to train SG courses and she is absolutely beaming when she comes in from a SG session.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
My daughter would absolutely love that. She loves speed (mom is not as big of a fan :) but still has to wait to officially race it. However because she trains with older kids at academy she has been able to train SG courses and she is absolutely beaming when she comes in from a SG session.

Bottle that. Beats the hell out of terror!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Super-G can be fun and becomes a favorite among many U 14:s. But not everyone loves the speed. One skier in my daughters U14 team whispered to her dad to ”go easy on the wax”. Breaking it down in sections and taking baby steps (+ the appropriate gear) is key to safety and fun.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
SG is great to create confidence, at this age. It should only be introduced with the proper progressions and supervision, but after each speed camp, the racers grow more confident on snow in general!

Snowman2022

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Dear all, have read your information with great interest:)
Currently I am looking for a new ski for my son for mainly carving and slalom skiing, and he is not competing in competion / slolom racing, yet. He just became 10 years old, 140 cm’s tall, and 35 kg, and he is intermediate to advanced skier. I am lokking for a ski not too soft but also not very stiff as to be meant for competition. The current choices are atomic j4, fischer the curve pro, head worldcup e.race team, volkl jr racetiger pro, nordica dobermann combi pro, or the salomon race rush jr., in 130 cm length. Does have anyone a recommendation for one of the ski’s?

Snowman2022

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have converted my son length / weight
My son length is 4 feet 7 inches, and weight is 74 lb

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dear all, have read your information with great interest:)
Currently I am looking for a new ski for my son for mainly carving and slalom skiing, and he is not competing in competion / slolom racing, yet. He just became 10 years old, 140 cm’s tall, and 35 kg, and he is intermediate to advanced skier. I am lokking for a ski not too soft but also not very stiff as to be meant for competition. The current choices are atomic j4, fischer the curve pro, head worldcup e.race team, volkl jr racetiger pro, nordica dobermann combi pro, or the salomon race rush jr., in 130 cm length. Does have anyone a recommendation for one of the ski’s?
If you are looking at combi skis, all of these ar really good and he will have fun on them. I would just suggest getting it without the plate and mounting the binding flat on the ski. If you did want some lift for leverage, the Look NX7 is available with a lifter that will be less demanding than if you went with a full race plate.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Won't point you to a specific ski, but get a 135ish cm combi-ski. They should have a woodcore and a sandwich construction with sidewalls. Wouldn't be too hung up on a plate or not, if they come with a plate it will be very soft. The extra stand height helps a bit too. Be aware that there are a lot of skis out there that say "race" or "world cup", but arenothing more than foam core kids skis with flashy graphics –– not a good learning tool for ambitious young skiers.

Sponsor