• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Killer e-Bikes

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine is all stock and I hit 26-28 mph’s on my way to work regularly. Haven’t killed anyone yet

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have to pedal at all to hit 28 mph?

A “bike” that goes 40 mph on its own (something I’ve certainly seen) isn’t really a bike anymore, except in the sense that anything with two wheels can be called a “bike”. A crash at 40 mph is going to be twice as hard as one at 28 mph. Pretty big difference.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
If I don’t pedal I don’t move.
I’m pedaling pretty hard to keep 28mph. Very smooth set up.
This is what the majority of e-bike haters don't get. They see a few people buzzing around town w/o pedaling and don't realize the vast majority of e-bikes are just pedal assist w/ no throttle. It just adds to your torque.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is what the majority of e-bike haters don't get. They see a few people buzzing around town w/o pedaling and don't realize the vast majority of e-bikes are just pedal assist w/ no throttle. It just adds to your torque.
Nah, I’m pretty sure they get it.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I don’t hate e-bikes, I just dislike some of their riders. Especially those who look down at you when you struggle on 12-15% climb and they whizz past you…I mean dude, get off that motorized wheelchair,get a real bike and let’s see what is what..

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
anything over 25kmh here is illegal and max 250w
Is that 25kph with assist or is that top speed with or without e-assist? I mean that's only 15mph. I can do that on a flat trail with the motor turned off. And I'm fat and out of shape!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I watch all the food delivery people darting around on their fat tire e-bikes, and they're not pedalling too hard to go 30kph. Like just barely pedalling or not at all. And they're starting to get pretty daring as well.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 6.12.06 PM.png

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
probably different by area. I use mine mostly on roads to go to and from work. I don't do single track anymore so no idea what's out there. On trails, the paved, crushed rocks, old rail bed type stuff sees a good mix i've notcied but most Ebikes are elderly just keeping it going.

There are a couple kids with electric motorbikes that rip around thru the park and on the trails and I'm sure that's going to cause a big problem one day. Tearing up grass and just flying by people. Something will probably be done some day concerning all ebikes that will only affect people like me that happen to have one and only time I ride trails I'm with my kids going a normal pace. But people are too stupid to govern themselves it seems sometimes. No need to be going 40mph's and zipping around when everyone else is walking with small kids, or biking, with small kids, or walking their dogs.

Reactions: pud

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Call it what it is.. an electric motorcycle. Mopeds go 29.9999MPH legally. Don't need a license here for one but you do have to have insurance and registration. Why not the same for eBikes?????? :huh:

Like eBikes a couple really easy tweaks and a moped will go 45 mph.. so I've heard.. :rolleyes:

Sponsor