• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Killer e-Bikes

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like eBikes a couple really easy tweaks and a moped will go 45 mph.. so I've heard.. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the more mainstream (non-Chinese) players make it very difficult to soup up you e-bike motor. I'm not sure it's at all possible with Shimano, Bosch, Yamaha or Brose, but I suppose where there's a will, there's a way.

And, again to be fair, there are some brands where you essentially just toggle a switch or cut one wire or whatever and you're there. Not an overall good approach IMO.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This is what the majority of e-bike haters don't get. They see a few people buzzing around town w/o pedaling and don't realize the vast majority of e-bikes are just pedal assist w/ no throttle. It just adds to your torque.

Vast majority? Not here.

Class 2s are school mopeds around here. 20 miles for me means passing 5-6 schools, easily over 40 throttle-only e-bikes. Every morning.

And if your lawmakers live anywhere near the slightly affluent parts of DC metro (what are the odds?), they're likely seeing very similar scenes :)

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll want to get the killer e-bike. but first, I'm going to order some DeathWish skis.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But,but,but….I mean…you can hit 26mph on a normal road bike as well ain’t that right?

You can, but, unless you're on a downhill, it means you have some training and bike handling experience.

Enough not to whizz up an 8mph sidewalk into a blind corner, for example.
Enough not to crest up a hill at 18mph and try to hit 45 by gravity into a 4-way stop sign.
Enough not to try switchbacking on cold wet trails under power (yes, I had Schadenfreude when that little twit slid out, but he slid out towards me)
Enough not to be in the oncoming traffic lane going into an underpass tunnel.

And all those were just since Jan. 1st.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I detest throttles on ebikes. Just get a motorcycle or big scooter and go play on the road with cars like the rest of us.

I don't partially have strong feelings about speed limits yet on pedal assist bikes but the current 20mph feels quite good. I commute at 16-18mph on a road bike, limiting someone to 20mph assist should be plenty.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I detest throttles on ebikes. Just get a motorcycle or big scooter and go play on the road with cars like the rest of us.

I don't partially have strong feelings about speed limits yet on pedal assist bikes but the current 20mph feels quite good. I commute at 16-18mph on a road bike, limiting someone to 20mph assist should be plenty.
What about ICE dirt bikes? Dirt ICE bike with a throttle is different than a dirt ebike with a throttle?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
To be fair, the more mainstream (non-Chinese) players make it very difficult to soup up you e-bike motor. I'm not sure it's at all possible with Shimano, Bosch, Yamaha or Brose, but I suppose where there's a will, there's a way.

And, again to be fair, there are some brands where you essentially just toggle a switch or cut one wire or whatever and you're there. Not an overall good approach IMO.
Can you change the gearing to get a faster top end?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you change the gearing to get a faster top end?

Nope. They typically run off a rear wheel speed sensor.

Pretty regimented stuff, nearly to the point of silliness. For instance, the latest fad is mtb is mullet bikes, with a 27.5 rear wheel and 29 front. If a bike is sold as an e-29er, and somebody wants to do their own mullet conversion, their speed will top out at less than 20, and manufacturers are prohibited from offering software tweaks to compensate for this, for fear that somebody will -- gasp! -- install the 27.5 software and keep running a 29er rear wheel, thus gaining a smidgen of speed.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I look at e-bikes and e-trikes as a way for people to get out and get some exercise. They allow people who couldn’t otherwise use the assist to get up hills and make the whole experience a lot more enjoyable. If things are enjoyable then people are more likely to participate and get exercise. Not everyone is out to join a race peloton.

A throttle allows those with disabilities to get home safely if their energy craps out on the ride. I’m diabetic and once my glucose crashed near the end of a 25 mile ride. I drank some juice and used my throttle to get me the mile left to return home. As far as speeding on trails, that happens with both electric and non-electric bikes and trikes. What is needed are enforced speed limits on trails.

rachet

Booting up
Skier
I don’t hate e-bikes, I just dislike some of their riders. Especially those who look down at you when you struggle on 12-15% climb and they whizz past you…I mean dude, get off that motorized wheelchair,get a real bike and let’s see what is what..
yeah but everyone has their own reasons for choosing the type of bike they ride, and it's not for anyone else to judge. E-bikes can provide a level of assistance to those who may not have the physical ability to tackle steep climbs on a traditional bike.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah but everyone has their own reasons for choosing the type of bike they ride, and it's not for anyone else to judge. E-bikes can provide a level of assistance to those who may not have the physical ability to tackle steep climbs on a traditional bike.

I think I was clear as to which type of e-bikes riders I dislike. Old dudes who enjoy themselves don’t fall into that category. Quite the contrary.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own an ebike and ride it every week. Also 5000-7000 miles year on regular bikes, for decades.

Just got hit, again, by an e-bike today. Not bad, rear-ended on the bike trail as I let a car go at a stop sign before turning left. D**khead on e-bike thought he was going to blow the stop sign and pass me, didn't seem to understand the universal hand signal for "I'm turning left."

As with all the various e-bike jack ass puds out there, he had a bike illegal on the bike trail, top speed too high, too much power. There's no enforcement of course of anything in Seattle - the city is essentially anarchist - so nothing to stop this guy.

Third time in a year a e-vehicle has hot me on a dedicated multiuse trail. To be fair the worst was actually a scooter, which was a GNARLY high speed head on. Dipshit tech bro lost control on a slight corner and overcorrected straight into me. I touched my brakes but didn't have time to squeeze. He was doing at least 25, me about 20. Doesn't sound like much but that a collision that make a football stadium gasp and go quiet. I was concussed and my rotator cuff is still screwed but I don't want surgery. Full body armor on him and big guy - what a hero. Might have killed a kid or old person.

Most of these stupid dangerous ebike dipshits have a similar profile. 1) look like gamer types 2) under 40 3) seem like life online types 4) illegal power but not too expensive bought on Amazon or from Radrover.

The problem is unearned speed. My Aussie national cycling team buddy rides really fast. But he can really handle a bike, bunny hop railroad tracks, etc. He's not hitting anyone. These creeps have all the gear but no idea how to handle the speed it gives them. They are fobbing dangerous, out in droves in this city every day. I have my limits getting hit over and over - soon somebody's gonna be picking up teeth.

Not all ebike riders of course! But there's not not a problem with a bunch of them

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the way you think.
I should restrain myself, but I swear it's like all these fools have it out for me. I used to feel safe on the bicycle paths in Seattle. Now I ride around like I have PTSD!

Let me emphasize again that I I ride an e-bike! And that for everyone on this forum it's not their first time doing something outside going fast. I would trust you people with e-bikes :)

And to be fair, in the past year I also got hit by a car on a separate raised protected bike lane as well. So maybe it's not an ebike problem as much as a Seattle problem :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid