• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Killington 2020-2021

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Pre dawn colors on the morning clouds lit Bay one at Killington as we dropped off a car. Headed down the hill landing at the Sherburne Trail Head across from The Inn at Long Trail. Hiked along gazing at the jaundice look of the landscape. The hundreds of acres of undeveloped resort are still sitting there in wait. We soon opted to hike the Ridgeline to Killington via The Appalachian Trail. Bushwcked for few yards once we saw the Frolic Trail on Snowdon Mountain. Stopped for short rest on Northstar before heading down using the bike trails. Finished up the seven mile hike with a descent down the black diamond Highline Trail creating platform angles with our feet just like we were skiing. Today is the final day Killington will be selling any season pass products so hurry up and end your procrastination.

Quote of the Day - A sweet hike followed by an awesome run on Highline.

IMG_0139.jpg Sherburne Trail IMG_0147.jpg Northstar IMG_0153.jpg Highline

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We've been taking lots of walks and hiking in our smaller PA hills around our house to keep our legs in shape for the coming season. Been hard without getting to hit the gym. I got my email that confirmed our risk agreements and season passes, so just waiting for the new ones in the mail, but I doubt we'll make it up there until after New Years due to quarantine restrictions. Keep those beautiful photos coming!

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hiked Cannon/Mittersill, Waterville Valley, and Mt Washington this summer, ski area hiking in the off-season is such a surreal experience. I love being out there in all seasons, but the desolation in the summer, compared to the winter, is a contrast.

Well, except the summit of Mt Washington...that is no desolation, it feels like a Wal-Mart parking lot. By far the worst part of hiking Mt Washington is the parking lot at the top, it truly ruins the experience.

Attachments

• Wildcat from across the way.jpg
    Wildcat from across the way.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Cannon from across the way.jpg
    Cannon from across the way.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 11
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Picture of the snowmaking at the base of the six pack this afternoon. Lifts were all being tested. Time to lock and load for Friday. See you'll there.

IMG_0199.jpg

From the Killington Website-

Well, skiers and riders, The Beast is awake. We are thrilled to announce that we're opening for skiing and snowboarding on Friday, November 20 at 9:00 a.m. for Killington Season Passholders and Ikon Passholders. We'll open to the general public on Monday, November 23.

As usual, we'll be skiing and riding on early season, advanced-level trail conditions, and snowmaking and other on-mountain operations may be in progress throughout the day on open terrain. No beginner terrain is available at this time. Unlike years past, however, we'll be making top-to-bottom turns off Killington and Snowdon peaks, serviced by multiple lifts: the K-1 Express Gondola, Snowdon Six Express, Snowdon Triple and North Ridge Quad. In addition to top-to-bottom skiing and riding, we’ll be offering our early season Woodward Pop Up Park on Reason. Check back right here for the latest updates as we approach Opening Day.

Snowguns are currently roaring on Great Northern, Rime, Reason, Upper Bunny Buster, Killink and Mouse Trap in preparation for the first turns of the season on Friday. Remember, face masks are required at all times, while indoors and outdoors, unless you are seated and eating or drinking. We strongly suggest bringing one or two extra face masks, so you can change them if they get wet. Learn everything you need to know about how to visit Killington this winter here.

We're stoked to welcome you back for some snowcially distanced skiing and riding.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can anyone tell me what has to be done to ski this weekend with an Ikon pass at Kton?
I was poking around on the website and found I you had to make a parking reservation for the day, but it won't be possible to do it until the morning of the day before your skiing (I guess that means not more than 24 hrs in advance) Any forms that need to be filled out ? Either Ikon or Kton forms?

I can't go Friday, but I am thinking about Saturday if anyone else will be there?

James

Out There
Instructor
I think if you get parking desperate, park at the hotel and take a shuttle.
Also wondering if Skyeship parking on Rte 4 is reservation also.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Can anyone tell me what has to be done to ski this weekend with an Ikon pass at Kton?
I was poking around on the website and found I you had to make a parking reservation for the day, but it won't be possible to do it until the morning of the day before your skiing (I guess that means not more than 24 hrs in advance) Any forms that need to be filled out ? Either Ikon or Kton forms?

I can't go Friday, but I am thinking about Saturday if anyone else will be there?
For the first three days parking reservations are open from 7:30 the day before. From Monday Nov 23 going forward are open for booking parking now. I will be skiing pretty much every day. With your IKON pass and a parking res. is all you need.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nothing special about making a parking reservation with or without a pass. You could make one without one, park, but then you can't buy a ticket to get on a lift.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Decent morning. Killington had things well organized with maybe a 5 minute line to check parking reservations, and well organized lift lines. K1 lot was basically full by mid morning, so pretty big Day 1 crowd.

And the snow was good, with some softening due to the temps in the 40s. My legs were complaining by lunch time.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had a blast. Getting through the parking reservation checkpoint was pretty quick. I’m glad I set up the ParkWhiz app on my phone. All last season I booted up in the parking lot so it wasn’t anything different for me except it was pleasantly warm if not a bit windy.

The conditions of the snow was better than I expected. The condition of my legs was worse. The cobdition of my form, unmentionable. Still, started to get my groove for a couple runs before my quads were cooked.

It was nice to see happy people outside.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Temps in the low 40's today. I had a blast today at Kton. Christened my Ikon pass. Not bad on the crowd front. Biggest problem was it was hard to scan my parking pass from my phone because the sun was shining on it (and I didn't have the screen brightness all the way up). The snow was fairly soft, typical hard spots, soft spots, clumpy spots, and some moguls forming. I loved it but had the right skis for the conditions. Didn't go inside at all, used outdoor porta potties and booted at the car. Only rode one lift with someone other than the person I came with. That was on the 6 person gondola which had 3 of us in it. Lines were very small even with partial loading. All and all a great season opener. And surprise bonus, while driving out by the snowden area there was a table with a bunch of Kton employees milling around. They waved us down and said we are giving away free buritos and soda, want one?? We said sure, and they were piping hot awsome gormet burritos. Of course we turned into a cat like creature after eating them (I love Harry Potter movies) but honestly I was shocked and my tummy was full the whole ride home.

IMG_20201121_113105238.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They were loading groups up to 100% but only 50% if single. I was with one friend and we rode all the quads and 6 packs as doubles. The lines were very short and only the gondola had someone directing traffic.

Accounting for the larger groups, I would say it averaged 75% capacity loading

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Nov 22 Weekend Report
Full early sun paired with crisp snowmaking temperatures closed out the three day Passholders only season. Warm temps of the past couple days gave way to a shot of more winter like weather. Riding in the Gondola is a colder experience with the windows removed. Good amount of early season terrain was groomed quite nicely. Lapping Upper East Fall under the guns provided a few early season powder turns. Conditions gave way to a classic Eastern ice based skiing before the morning was over. Lower level of the Killington Base Lodge is now a bag check, downsized retail and restrooms only making it the quickest in and out restroom stop. The upper level of the lodge requires you to sign in due to food service.

Quote of the Day- This wind is turning tailgating into a survival sport.

IMG_0826.jpg Snowmaking IMG_0237.jpg Top of the World IMG_0224.jpg Shorts Saturday

Sponsor