• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Killington 2020-2021

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
Was up Sunday for a couple runs, but my legs were beat from a couple of days of trail running and opening day Friday. I took a break after first run from the top, and then did one more run before deciding to call it. My form needs a tuneup too, was really stressing my quads because I wasn't stacked right. All said, it was chilly and the usual winter snow conditions (ice base gradually being exposed as it's skiied off) was familiar -- I always look for the tell-tale cat tracks.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Nov 29 Weekend Report
Rare November sun closed out the wet warm Turkeyday Weekend. Summit temperature of 24 degrees greeted the eager Sunday crowd. Smooth groomed surfaces were quickly chewed to pieces. Snow has held up pretty well for the first 10 days of the season but the relentless assault by the holiday crowd on the limited terrain has taken its toll. Chunky sandy thick powder made for some super fun turns. Headed for the tailgate shortly after the wife was involved in a collision on Middle chute were both skiers emerged unscathed.

Quote of the Day - Most thankful for the awesome snowmakers.

IMG_0278.jpg Rime IMG_0280.jpg Mixing Bowl IMG_0288.jpg Tailgating

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nov 29 Weekend Report: Smooth groomed surfaces were quickly chewed to pieces. Snow has held up pretty well for the first 10 days of the season but the relentless assault by the holiday crowd on the limited terrain has taken its toll. Chunky sandy thick powder made for some super fun turns.

I assume the bolded description means some scraped bare spots and the "fun turns" was sarcasm. The coverage looks pretty good in the pic's. I was planning to ski Sunday, but changed my mind. Sounds like I made a good decision. I skied the previous weekend at Kton and it was really good for opening weekend. Let's hope for colder temps very soon.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We were at a different place reminded me of Cannon. Left me wishing our family ski tuner had been more thorough. But my kid didn't care a bit.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I assume the bolded description means some scraped bare spots and the "fun turns" was sarcasm. The coverage looks pretty good in the pic's. I was planning to ski Sunday, but changed my mind. Sounds like I made a good decision. I skied the previous weekend at Kton and it was really good for opening weekend. Let's hope for colder temps very soon.
Your call for Sunday was a smart one. Too many skiers on a soft surface that broke down and became quickly pushed up. I was having a ball skiing the pushed up berms on the trail sides. Staying up in that safety zone was super fun. Fast left lane passing and you get to watch the disasters unfolding on the main traffic lanes. Narrow corridor short radius turns keeping my body in a 3 ft wide zone are my favorite. The only sarcasm is those that are stuck in the main lanes might not be having as much fun. Some of the best survival skiing of the year.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than too many skiers, it does sound like fun. Old school ski the edge of the trail tactic. Used to do that to avoid the ice in the middle, you avoided collisions.

The word you used "Sandy" as in Chunky sandy thick powder was what I was reacting too. Maybe you didn't mean it literally (like dirt mixed into the snow from bare spots). I guess you just meant thick heavy pushed up berms of snow on the trails. I would have enjoyed skiing that too, but the crowds not so much.

I broke my early season Kton record this year by not getting run into by a teen age boarder opening weekend. After no close calls all day, one did come close enough to me from behind that I poked him with my pole plant. I don't count that as a hit and he didn't bleed, so all good. I'll have to stab harder next time.

Last edited:

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hit Killington around 1pm, and got two hours of lovely skiing in before my toes were frozen and I was being called for a chili dinner. A little windy, but otherwise conditions were nice -- well except the usual steep spot on Bunny Buster that everyone passing down the mountain hits, and which apparently every snowboarder scrapes clean of any snow, revealing the ice underneath. So, it's a sheet of ice for the left 2/3rds, or bumps and questionable cover on the right third. Middle Chute, which is the "bypass" for that was alsoa little bare, but didn't seem to have entire brigades of snowplowing snowboarders going down it on their butt.

Snowden Six wait was long for singles, but the Triple and North Ridge had no waits.

Well, that might sound like complaining, but today was the first time I did that steep section without stopping on each turn or geting so janky and spooked by the ice that I burnt my legs out. Something clicked and I handled it much better and with way less effort -- I think it was staying balanced front to back, and not putting my downhill leg out like a pontoon cause I was afraid of it slipping out

Anyays, was a fun time and I'm going back up tommorow. I really appreciate the job the mountain is doing under these conditions, and again it was nice to see so many people outside having fun.

Oh, and I will never get tired of the views on days like today,that were relatively clear down low, with a cloud ceiling just about peak level. Great light and long views, with everything spinkled with snow.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hit Killington around 1pm, and got two hours of lovely skiing in before my toes were frozen and I was being called for a chili dinner. A little windy, but otherwise conditions were nice -- well except the usual steep spot on Bunny Buster that everyone passing down the mountain hits, and which apparently every snowboarder scrapes clean of any snow, revealing the ice underneath. So, it's a sheet of ice for the left 2/3rds, or bumps and questionable cover on the right third. Middle Chute, which is the "bypass" for that was alsoa little bare, but didn't seem to have entire brigades of snowplowing snowboarders going down it on their butt.

Snowden Six wait was long for singles, but the Triple and North Ridge had no waits.

Well, that might sound like complaining, but today was the first time I did that steep section without stopping on each turn or geting so janky and spooked by the ice that I burnt my legs out. Something clicked and I handled it much better and with way less effort -- I think it was staying balanced front to back, and not putting my downhill leg out like a pontoon cause I was afraid of it slipping out

Anyays, was a fun time and I'm going back up tommorow. I really appreciate the job the mountain is doing under these conditions, and again it was nice to see so many people outside having fun.

Oh, and I will never get tired of the views on days like today,that were relatively clear down low, with a cloud ceiling just about peak level. Great light and long views, with everything spinkled with snow.
That steep section used to be rated black and appropriately called Mouse Trap for how many beginners get bounced there. I try to stay to the right in the bumps or far left in the rough unless its early on a well-groomed day. The scrapped out ice there is a problem for the mountains plans for an intermediate paradise on Snowdon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The narrow strip of bumps on the skier left of Mouse Trap was pretty good. The bumps were exactly shaped well but the snow is decent.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Dec 8 Report
Morning snow showers painted the color of winter across the Killington Basin. Temps in the teens with lots of snow blowing everywhere. Large class was in session on Cascade as new snowmakers were being taught the craft. Decent amount of natural snow on Upper Ridge Run was fun while it lasted. Racers and speed demons found the conditions some of best of the year so far. Stopped in to the Peak Lodge for a quick break were you can get table 30 minutes. Wallet has been staying fat without the Peak Bar but I miss all the food and good times. Looking forward to the upcoming terrain expansion.

Quote of the Day - Quarantined for two weeks to be here today.

IMG_0344.jpg In Person Training IMG_0349.jpg Peak Lodge IMG_0348.jpg Lower East Fall

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Dec 11 Report
Wrapped up like a holiday present waiting to be opened a rare sun filled December day became our gift. Moderating temps made the snow soft and comfortable. Quick off the top drop onto Blue Heaven had us heading over to Skye Peak. Lapping Upper Skyelark to Lower Bittersweet working on building stamina. Lower Skyelark was open with huge draining whales of snow. Ramshead quad is up and running giving the green skiers some room to spread. Laps on the bubble with friends made the season a little more like normal.

Quote of the Day - Funny thing about pilots is they ski like they are a jet airplane.

IMG_0359.jpg Morning Sun IMG_0369.jpg Lower Skyelark IMG_0377.jpg Nevis Walk

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dec 11 Report
Wrapped up like a holiday present waiting to be opened a rare sun filled December day became our gift. Moderating temps made the snow soft and comfortable. Quick off the top drop onto Blue Heaven had us heading over to Skye Peak. Lapping Upper Skyelark to Lower Bittersweet working on building stamina. Lower Skyelark was open with huge draining whales of snow. Ramshead quad is up and running giving the green skiers some room to spread. Laps on the bubble with friends made the season a little more like normal.

Quote of the Day - Funny thing about pilots is they ski like they are a jet airplane.

View attachment 117410 Morning Sun View attachment 117411 Lower Skyelark View attachment 117412 Nevis Walk

Deja Vu all over again - just read this on Kzone

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey It was you that encouraged to start posting on this site.
You got me on that - you're right - just pulling your leg - I like your posts so much, I read them at least twice!

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
17 Dec Killington Report
The day that we have been waiting all season for came in with a wallop dumping over two feet of much needed fluffy white stuff. Dusted off the powder skis for the first outing of the year. Felt weird blowing past the bogged down KMS race coaches as the untracked deep powder played well to this Clyde on wide boards. Ropes were dropped on favorites like Northstar and the Cascade Headwall. Watching folks without a lot of powder experience flounder about never got old. The quicksand powder on Lower Mouse Run was swallowing up skiers whole. Felt the spirit of a dear friend who pasted swirling in the storm today. On your heels Deb - I will miss you dearly.

Quote of the Day - Need to go see my doctor as the this erection has lasted over four hours.

IMG_0415.jpg Find the missing skier IMG_0410.jpg Lower Bunny IMG_0406.jpg Chute

James

Out There
Instructor
17 Dec Killington Report
The day that we have been waiting all season for came in with a wallop dumping over two feet of much needed fluffy white stuff. Dusted off the powder skis for the first outing of the year. Felt weird blowing past the bogged down KMS race coaches as the untracked deep powder played well to this Clyde on wide boards. Ropes were dropped on favorites like Northstar and the Cascade Headwall. Watching folks without a lot of powder experience flounder about never got old. The quicksand powder on Lower Mouse Run was swallowing up skiers whole. Felt the spirit of a dear friend who pasted swirling in the storm today. On your heels Deb - I will miss you dearly.

Quote of the Day - Need to go see my doctor as the this erection has lasted over four hours.

View attachment 118090 Find the missing skierLower Bunny View attachment 118092 Chute
Carnage!
Things generally don’t go well in that position
1F0D67E4-D221-48FD-92CF-709BD8C20046.jpeg