• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington has apparently decided to close today because of cold weather. That seems excessive for a winter sports resort. I’m sure glad I didn’t make the trip there this weekend.

6E5A18F0-F783-46FE-8610-AC112BD6D34F.png

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Most mountains in Vermont are on total wind hold today anyway... other places might be open, but unless you want to lap the bunny hill all day, they’re closed.

This has been a brutally cold stretch in New England.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugarbush only plans to run lower mountain lifts. Stowe has upper mountain lifts on wind hold. At least they didn’t totally didn’t give up on the day.

Wonder how K will handle prepaid lift tickets.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
No worries... weather breaks on Monday, back to business as usual (whatever that means in New England!)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt. Snow says it's open on its website....but then says ALL the lifts are on windhold.
As Ski-3PO asked -- what do these places do with folks who've already bought tix?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sugarbush only plans to run lower mountain lifts. Stowe has upper mountain lifts on wind hold. At least they didn’t totally didn’t give up on the day.

Wonder how K will handle prepaid lift tickets.
No weather refunds, right?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Yeah — wind must have a lot to do with it. They're going to have to shut down lifts, anyway. Looks like it'll last most of the day.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay Peak seems to be handling it well.

A4F452C7-1887-4429-84D6-B1C87F57E7A9.png

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No weather refunds, right?
Riiiiiight........
If an area denied me a refund or credit for today -- no matter how justified the closing was -- I'd never go back there. And I'll bet I'm not the only one.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My ski club is at Okemo This weekend. I bet most of them re not skiing today, though the bubble chair is open.

With the winds I think it is wise to not open. If a lift were to get stuck it would really suck to be on it...could be dangerous as well.

I remember colder times, but none that were this cold for this long.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
What’s with all the Killington bashing?

What’s the difference between closed and ALL lifts on windhold for the entire day?

As for prepaid tickets, all mountains will give you credit to be used for future visits. While not exactly a “refund”, it serves the same purpose.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay Peak closed too.

allgash

Booting up
Skier
What’s with all the Killington bashing?

What’s the difference between closed and ALL lifts on windhold for the entire day?

As for prepaid tickets, all mountains will give you credit to be used for future visits. While not exactly a “refund”, it serves the same purpose.

I kind of agree with you here. On one hand, I would be upset if I made travel arrangements to be in Killington and after paying for hotels, tickets, not even being able to ski would be upsetting. At the same time, if they were open, it would probably be a couple of bunny lifts because the main lifts would probably all be on wind hold. If I were a day tripper, I would rather get a credit to come back another day than show up and only be able to lap the bunny hill / lower mountain.

I decided earlier this week to skip this weekend. Next weekend is supposed to be more normal, with a little bit of snow forecast on Friday and Saturday.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I got to know the town of Killington and Rutland quite intimately, precisely due to the many bad weather days I’ve had there in the last 20 years.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Our ski club had a bus trip scheduled for this weekend and they canceled it earlier in the week because the bus company said there would likely be problems with the bus running in the frigid temps. It's no fun skiing in that kind of cold, unless you have your Bat Thermal underwear of course.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okemo has limited lifts running today and giving people 50% off another January non-holiday ticket with a lift ticket this weekend. That’s a nice effort.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our ski club had a bus trip scheduled for this weekend and they canceled it earlier in the week because the bus company said there would likely be problems with the bus running in the frigid temps. It's no fun skiing in that kind of cold, unless you have your Bat Thermal underwear of course.

Interesting. Most just keep the bus running the entire time.

I think Killington is doing the smart thing by playing it safe.

Sponsor