• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Knee injuries -- when do you see an ortho?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah. Sorry. The time bomb clause was in present tense, so.

My bad. Seriously tho, what they told me was the knee can adapt to one ligament missing and function seemingly normally until one day you put the wrong kind of load on it at a wrong angle and then you get royally screwed.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^ Oh I'm well familiar with that.

And the proof is I tried to ignore my MCL from March '06 to fall '08, right up to when I tried to cross over at an inline race and fell down screaming.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Can we, just, not use phrases like that? Looking for the "slightly nauseated" emoji.
Sorry. easiest way of describing it though. Lesson learned - powder on an firm bumps field isn't necessarily your friend and if you are going to slam a tip directly into a mogul try not to do so on an exact vector where you will go over the front of said tip (any other angle and chances are my binding would have released before ****ing my knee)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
slam a tip directly into...
Hey me too (2nd knee) except mine was a stump hidden under powder. Minor damage for me, though, just an ACL. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast.
(I didn't go over the front. In fact I didn't even fall down.)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sorry. easiest way of describing it though. Lesson learned - powder on an firm bumps field isn't necessarily your friend and if you are going to slam a tip directly into a mogul try not to do so on an exact vector where you will go over the front of said tip (any other angle and chances are my binding would have released before ****ing my knee)
Hey me too (2nd knee) except mine was a stump hidden under powder. Minor damage for me, though, just an ACL. Fortunately I wasn't going very fast.
(I didn't go over the front. In fact I didn't even fall down.)

Ironically, both of you would have been knee-safer on telemark gear :geek::ogbiggrin::geek::ogbiggrin:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the record, I did speak with my neighbor this morning. She said she's been weaning herself off the pain meds, but effectively hasn't left the house since the injury.

I mentioned that the swelling will go down and mobility will improve regardless of the extent of the injury and that for me, I would want to know the full extent of the damage before trying to resume "normal" activities. i.e., decreased pain and increased mobility does not mean you didn't do real damage. You know what it's not (i.e., a broken leg, courtesy of the x-ray); you don't know what it is. I would want to know what it is, not merely what it's not.

She seemed receptive to the ortho idea. I don't know if she followed up or not; I said I'd be happy to drive her to the ortho if needed. In my mind, I did my "due diligence" in that I informed her that "progress" -- while definitely a good sign -- isn't necessarily indicative of "not having suffered a severe injury".
If a patient told me they have not left their house for a few days due to a knee injury I would recommend a face to face medical evaluation. Her medical insurance and her relationship/confidence in her primary care provider will determine whether she will need to start w/ her PCP or if she can see ortho directly.

Sponsor