• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Knee Strengthing

CO Dreaming

1992, Snowbird on K2 710s
Skier
I've never suffered from significant knee issues. Recently, however, I've been getting some moderate pain in my right knee. This pain feels like it is coming from behind my kneecap and in the top area. Stair climbing and skiing are the activies that cause this pain most. I have no idea what the issue is, but I would assume that regular strength exercises wouldn't hurt. Can anyone recommend a knee strength regiment?

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Electra bicycles are made with the pedals 6 inches or so forward, they call them “flat footers” because you’re feet can be flat on the ground when sitting on the seat.
they are great for the knees, once you use them and go back to a regular bicycle you will think it’s broken, doesn’t take long to feel the difference in the strength of your knees , bad knees can be worse then bad backs to ski on, that style bike is good for the back as well

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

Skier
Is there a stationary, workout bike equivalent to the Electra? I didn't see such a thing on Electra's webpage. I don't ride a bike and one wouldn't be a good way to workout here in New England in the winter. Presently, I run indoors 30 mintues each morning and this may be impacting my knees. Switching to a stationary bike might help.

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
recumbent stationary bike would be great to use or semi recumbent , replace your indoor running with one it will definitely change your life,

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It wouldn’t hurt to get evaluated by a professional and get a diagnosis. But I’ll play anyway. You are describing classic symptoms of femoral patella pain syndrome. Knee strengthening is always a good idea. But (for me anyway) don’t forget that muscle and tendon “tightness” can exacerbate the pain sensation - for me, using a stiff foam roller on my quads and ileo-tibeal band helps with this type of pain. Also voodoo flossing (see Kelly Starrett)

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never suffered from significant knee issues. Recently, however, I've been getting some moderate pain in my right knee. This pain feels like it is coming from behind my kneecap and in the top area. Stair climbing and skiing are the activies that cause this pain most. I have no idea what the issue is, but I would assume that regular strength exercises wouldn't hurt. Can anyone recommend a knee strength regiment?
I think its the Carbon in the new ski's is the culprit:duck:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can't strengthen your knee.

But i had the same issue for twenty years and strengthening your quads, hamstrings and butt muscles works.

Heavy weights though.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

Your situation is similar to mine. I believe that my problem, aside from age and arthritis - is my technique. I think it has to do with shearing type wear. I am subtly muscling myself forward and my knees are at the critical spot. Leg strength is important but if too much is being asked of the knees, strength probably isn't the answer.

Not sure if that is helpful and I am not certain about the shearing trauma, but it seems plausible.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
I would recommend balance exercises preferably on a Bosu ball

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
In general, as @Rod9301 said: quads, hamstrings, glutes are the usual culprits that are too weak, too tight, or imbalanced/some combination of the above.

Seeing a decent physiotherapist can be really useful. Sometimes it's that one muscle is working too hard and another is underperforming, and the combination of those means that your kneecap doesn't track properly (resulting in pain while skiing, stairs, etc). A combination of targeted strengthening of the underperforming muscles and stretching/foam rolling can be useful to get the right muscles working together again.

Last season I got a bunch of ski lessons in the hopes of making my ski technique more knee-friendly. My skiing improved, and my knee pain improved a lot.

I've been dealing with knee pain for over a decade now and it's a tricky beast, hope you sort yours out soon!!

TS
CO Dreaming

CO Dreaming

Skier
Lot's of advice here - thank you. I suppose at some point I'll need professional help. I'm pretty sure my PCP would laugh at me if I went in and complained about my moderate pain. (My doctor is a telemark skier and seems immune to pain in general.) I get my second covid shot next Wednesday and I plan to return to the gym starting April 1. I will speak with a trainer there and see if they can set up a routine that would help. I had a great day skiing at Cannon yesterday; sunny skies, 35 degrees, no wind and no crowds. Despite skiing pretty hard, no pain today.

Cannonball Quad Summit.jpg

Last edited: