• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Know anyone who learned to ski after 50? Be honest.

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
After first 9 times (days) learning to ski, progress is slow enough to make me wonder if my time is being wasted. Staying up more of the time but wedge turns wear me out and transitioning to parallel seems to be my “Waterloo”.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to Ski Talk! How are you learning? From a friend? On your own? Group lessons? Private lesssons? With the same instructor or different ones?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Plenty of people. you're never going to be Ted Ligety, but you probably don't know who he is yet, so that's OK. If you weren't in Indiana I'd say come take a lesson with me and I'll show you how to make good use of your time.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I once met someone on a lift that learned to ski so she could ski with her grandkids. I have a friend who learned at 40. If you haven't, I'd highly recommend a lesson, private if you can swing the cost so you don't feel like you're learning aside some young 20 year old. As far as if it's worth it, that's so personal. Are you enjoying your time on the slopes? If yes, then it's totally worth it no matter your skill level! If not and you don't see a lesson or two helping that, maybe it's not for you which is okay as well.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I took it up when I turned 40; understandably not the same as 50, but your body habitus, health, and attitude matter a lot. Also time.

Consider the book Younger Next Year to get a sense of your biological clock, sort-to-speak. It may inspire you in two ways assuming no major health constraints: 1. Yes, you can do this and 2. You have to get active, whether it's skiing or something else.

The best advice I can give you though is hire a coach. You have one already... @Erik Timmerman offered - do it!

If you can, travel. Skiing midwest is good for carve technique, but your runway is very short and you just don't get the body-mind connections you might need if you could go from 30 second runs to 300-3000 second runs. Also, dedicate your exercise time off season to ski conditioning since your body needs it.

You also have to dedicate a bit on the budget for coaching and gear even if you don't travel east or west. Something to consider.

Finally, if you want specific anecdotal advice, consider coaching via Alta Utah. I spent three years in a row learing from coaches there. They're top notch with lots of later-life skiers there ripping it now. I'm amazed by the stories of those starting in their 40 and 50 (and this year I met a new 60 year old) just totally crushing one of the top resorts in the world. I no longer ski Alta coaches just because I was able to get a referral to a an ex-pro who has taken me to new levels, but would not hesitate to go back Alta coaches for fine tuning and just plain old fun. DM for a specific names if you'd like. Finally, make sure they video you.

I started my fifth season this year and I'm skiing advanced (comfortably) hopefully expert in a few years. Hopefully that inspires a bit.

You can and will do it.

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
I once met someone on a lift that learned to ski so she could ski with her grandkids. I have a friend who learned at 40. If you haven't, I'd highly recommend a lesson, private if you can swing the cost so you don't feel like you're learning aside some young 20 year old. As far as if it's worth it, that's so personal. Are you enjoying your time on the slopes? If yes, then it's totally worth it no matter your skill level! If not and you don't see a lesson or two helping that, maybe it's not for you which is okay as well.
I enjoy the “after the fact” feeling that I’ve improved. I’m usually frightened every trip down the hill but then make a beeline for the lift to go right back up. It’s the “weight on outside ski/lightening the inside ski/parallel turn thing where I’m getting nowhere. Maybe 9 total days of skiing with 4 group lessons isn’t enough yet? Until I figure out the parallel, I am stuck on the low slope greens. Not sure I find that acceptable.

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
I took it up when I turned 40; understandably not the same as 50, but your body habitus, health, and attitude matter a lot. Also time.

Consider the book Younger Next Year to get a sense of your biological clock, sort-to-speak. It may inspire you in two ways assuming no major health constraints: 1. Yes, you can do this and 2. You have to get active, whether it's skiing or something else.

The best advice I can give you though is hire a coach. You have one already... @Erik Timmerman offered - do it!

If you can, travel. Skiing midwest is good for carve technique, but your runway is very short and you just don't get the body-mind connections you might need if you could go from 30 second runs to 300-3000 second runs. Also, dedicate your exercise time off season to ski conditioning since your body needs it.

You also have to dedicate a bit on the budget for coaching and gear even if you don't travel east or west. Something to consider.

Finally, if you want specific anecdotal advice, consider coaching via Alta Utah. I spent three years in a row learing from coaches there. They're top notch with lots of later-life skiers there ripping it now. I'm amazed by the stories of those starting in their 40 and 50 (and this year I met a new 60 year old) just totally crushing one of the top resorts in the world. I no longer ski Alta coaches just because I was able to get a referral to a an ex-pro who has taken me to new levels, but would not hesitate to go back Alta coaches for fine tuning and just plain old fun. DM for a specific names if you'd like. Finally, make sure they video you.

I started my fifth season this year and I'm skiing advanced (comfortably) hopefully expert in a few years. Hopefully that inspires a bit.

You can and will do it.
Have to look up HABITUS.

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
Welcome to SkiTalk! How are you learning? From a friend? On your own? Group lessons? Private lesssons? With the same instructor or different ones?
Group lessons at Winter Park, advice from friends, YouTube videos, articles.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy skiing even starting late in life.
On the other hand, i never met anyone who started after 20 and is a very good skier.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
50s are the new 40s even 30s so all is good. Keep at it.

Ah yes, I almost forgot my favourite part: In the immortal words of Shawn Rhoden-Age is just a bunch of numbers put together for lazy people... :ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can swing it, a private lesson can lead to breakthroughs sometimes. The 1-on-1 attention and discussion can really help, even in just an hour, IMO. Sometimes small changes can make things "click". Is there any place near you that does hourly privates? (Versus a half or full day)

EDIT: Looks like Ski Cooper has $149 2 hour private lessons, which seems like a great deal to me. If you can go there, I'd call the ski school desk, explain your situation, and see if they can hook you up with an instructor who would be a good fit.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On the other hand, i never met anyone who started after 20 and is a very good skier.
Could be... but I suspect your definition of "very good" is a really high bar. And well beyond where the OP is and is trying to get to. And probably beyond the level at which most skiers are having fun and loving skiing. :)

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
My ski buddy in Taos did not learn to ski until after his retirement at 63! He took many lessons (private) and went out with instructors regularly to explore the mountain. It’s been only 4 years and he can ski (not just coming down) anything at Taos! It can be done!