• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Know anyone who learned to ski after 50? Be honest.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the goal was to suck at a higher level?

Sucking less is the same as sucking at a higher level.
The ultimate goal is...

1615166308369.png

I need to suck at a higher elevation. It's been more than 20 years since I've skied above 6,000'

Come to Taos. It's real easy to suck here. :ogbiggrin:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This has been an interesting read for me, as I am post-50 but have been skiing for almost 50 years. Didn't ever give it too much thought, it just WAS. Had a gimpy leg past few seasons, which ate into my confidence, and then a knee replacement last summer. Skiing this year has been a revelation. Most stuff is great, because I am pain-free for the first time in forever -- but the scary stuff really scares me. I never used to get scared. So I can relate to the fears of not exactly knowing if you can turn or stop in time. (I started dirt biking a couple summers ago, same thing.) Part of it is not wanting to spend another few months rehabbing, but I don't know, it's like my brain is just different now. I hope my mojo returns, but if it doesn't, that's ok too.

Also, the things that have panicked me ... well, they probably should have panicked me. Low visibility and fast snow in unfamiliar places, chutes at Bridger Bowl, other no-fall terrain, ok, yeah, 97% of skiers are never even going there. But I don't really like where my brain is.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

That was actually the last place I sucked at that elevation. Pretty sure I sucked a lot less on 30 something year old legs but still sucked regardless :cool: It was a powder day.. The ridge was amazing! I had respect for that terrain for sure..

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
This has been an interesting read for me, as I am post-50 but have been skiing for almost 50 years. Didn't ever give it too much thought, it just WAS. Had a gimpy leg past few seasons, which ate into my confidence, and then a knee replacement last summer. Skiing this year has been a revelation. Most stuff is great, because I am pain-free for the first time in forever -- but the scary stuff really scares me. I never used to get scared. So I can relate to the fears of not exactly knowing if you can turn or stop in time. (I started dirt biking a couple summers ago, same thing.) Part of it is not wanting to spend another few months rehabbing, but I don't know, it's like my brain is just different now. I hope my mojo returns, but if it doesn't, that's ok too.

Also, the things that have panicked me ... well, they probably should have panicked me. Low visibility and fast snow in unfamiliar places, chutes at Bridger Bowl, other no-fall terrain, ok, yeah, 97% of skiers are never even going there. But I don't really like where my brain is.
Hang in there. You can do this.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Sucking less is the same as sucking at a higher level.
The ultimate goal is...

View attachment 126907

For those who are don't get the reference:

Donald Jerome "Jerry" Berg, 1950-2012
Obituaries OBITUARIES | June 6, 2012

VD_VD201210120609886AR.jpg

Donald Jerome "Jerry" Berg, 1950-2012

Donald Jerome “Jerry” Berg, known to many as “Bergie” passed away on June 4, 2012. Jerry was born on Oct. 23, 1950, and was raised in Auburn, Indiana. He later met Krista at a small Midwestern ski hill and they married and had two children.A natural athlete, Jerry excelled in all chosen sports over his lifetime. He found his true passion in downhill skiing and moved with his family from Wisconsin to Colorado in the early 1970s to become a Vail ski instructor. He soon served as a Professional Ski Instructors of America (PSIA) Trainer, Examiner and PSIA-RM Alpine Committee Chair. In 1988-92 he achieved the highest honor by being named a member of the PSIA National Alpine Demo Team. He was also Ecole du Ski Francais certified, France’s equivalent of the highest U.S. certification. In 1989, Jerry moved to Aspen and would live there for about 10 years working as the director of training of the Ski & Snowboard Schools of Aspen. His expertise in skiing was an avenue for him to meet so many of his friends and colleagues and it took him around the world to China, Japan, Australia, France, Austria and Italy. He also lived in Crested Butte for a short time before returning to the Vail Valley and married his wife, Dina, and was currently residing in Minturn with his family.Passionate was often a word used to describe Jerry. He was the consummate “tinkerer,” restoring cruiser bikes, sports cars and even houses. He was a visionary, gifted with the talent and skill to create whatever he imagined with his own hands. He always created a “home” with thoughtful touches for every family member, a place for everyone to feel comfortable, including his own zone – the garage. Jerry loved the outdoors, from the northern lakes of Wisconsin to the plains of Indiana to the Rocky Mountains. He celebrated them through hunting, fishing, camping, cycling and of course, skiing. He was so many things to so many people – a husband, a father, a mentor, a coach and a friend. He was very invested in everyone he knew. He was an honest friend – always blunt, yet charming. He had an ability to irritate yet motivate, inspiring one to do better than they knew they could. He was a friend to all ages. A kid at heart, he was able to relate to children on their level, having fun while setting boundaries and creating structure.He is survived by his adoring wife Dina, brother Michael, and his loving children Jessica and Kiffor. He also leaves behind stepchildren Natalie and Ian, and grandchildren Malcolm and Augusta. Jerry and Dina were soul mates, their story started 25 years ago and their marriage in 2009 brought together the family members that became the family that Jerry always wanted. He and his eldest daughter, Jessica, shared a great relationship – he was a friend, a coach and a father. He taught her how to not only enjoy the view around her but to step into it and experience it. To his son Kiffor, Jerry was his hero. Kiffor always emulated him. They were constant competitors chasing each other up passes on their bikes or down the hill on their skis, each one taking a turn at being the champ. They were father and son and they were great friends. With his little girl, he knew Natalie’s potential and always helped her become more aware of it. He always used to tell her that she “had the world by its tails” and he believed it. He would tease her endlessly, always with love. For Ian, his little buddy, he couldn’t shake his shadow. Jerry took Ian under his wing and always appreciated moments to teach Ian something new. These teaching moments were where their relationship fostered. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather and will be greatly missed.A service is being planned in Vail for Sunday at 3 p.m. Please share your memories of Jerry in the Facebook group, “Friends of Jerry Berg – We Love you Bergie.”

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Right? So it’s my own damn fault if I am scaring myself! :eek::ogbiggrin:
If it makes you feel any better, I rode on the track and Street for five years then tried dirt biking and it was a whole different style! So you're probably going great it just seems bad. :ogbiggrin:

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know many people who learned to ski well, after 50. Though they (we) were flopping around the mountain long before.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
SBrown

I love Bridger Bowl! I don't think of it as fear but a conscious effort

Bill R

aka NoCapes
Skier
I learned to ski a year or so before turning 50. I’ve been skiing for 16 years now.

@jwtravel mentioned the effort of getting up after a fall, several times. I remember asking an instructor about how to get up after a fall and the answer was “just get up; have someone give you a hand; or take off your skis, get up and put them back on”. For a long time I would try to get up a few times, work up a sweat and then take the skis off. Really frustrating

Techniques for getting up after a fall when you don’t have the flexibility of a young skier may be a blind spot for instructors. (I haven't seen anyone mention how to get up in all these replies!)

I could never do the technique shown in this video with boots strapped to skis. Just not flexible enough to move from being perched on the back of the skis to standing. I’ve also never been able to get enough leverage from working hands up poles to get back on my feet except when I'm on a steep slope:

The approach in this video, of walking your hands to the front of the ski, works a lot better for me and may work for you:

And it works no matter what kind of turns you are doing :)

Sponsor

Staff online