Know anyone who learned to ski after 50? Be honest.

Bolder

Getting off the lift
Skier
No reason you shouldn't be able to enjoy skiing even starting late in life.
On the other hand, i never met anyone who started after 20 and is a very good skier.

Hmmm...my initial reaction was that you've got to be wrong about this...but then I thought about surfing, which I learned in my early teens, and how many people I knew who took it up later in life and how good they were. And I think you might be mostly right. There's just something about how easily and deeply you learn movement patterns when you're young.

I guess it depends on your definition of "very good." I'd say a very good skier can ski the whole mountain plus out of bounds while being in control and with fluidity. So surely there are many, many people who started skiiing later who meet these criteria. But if your definition is "near-sponsored free skier or college-level racer," then I think you're probably right...

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
Get on craigslist and buy yourself a used SkiersEdge then set it on a soft setting and Use it. Find your center of balance, learn the feeling. It will take you a while I'm sure to get comfortable but you will shortcut a lot of wasted time on the snow.

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski bum
Skier
Hmmm...my initial reaction was that you've got to be wrong about this...but then I thought about surfing, which I learned in my early teens, and how many people I knew who took it up later in life and how good they were. And I think you might be mostly right. There's just something about how easily and deeply you learn movement patterns when you're young.

Well, right off the bat, the fear of falling hard at 50 is thirty orders of magnitude higher
than the fear of falling hard in your teens, and if you're not falling... ogsmile

Your learning curve in your 50s is obviously a whole lot flatter than it is in your teens.
But I don't think age, ultimately, is an impediment to becoming a great skier. Time is.
Becoming a good/great skier requires a LOT of commitment, hard work, effort, good guidance and dedication.
Some measure of talent, of course, and arguably, gobs of money if you take it up in your 50s.
That's it really.

I haven't met too many middle-aged men or women that can afford themselves the luxury
of full commitment and unlimited time on the slopes. Life for most gets in the way of that.
The older you get, the more time you need to throw at it, but the less time you realistically have.
Therein lies the conundrum. Not a winning formula...
So, to me, it all boils down to commitment and time (and its affordability).
If you start skiing in your 50s and have both of these things in spades, you can be a great skier.

Urgh, I wish I could still surf five hours/day everyday like I used to back in the day... :ogbiggrin:

Bolder

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well, right off the bat, the fear of falling hard at 50 is thirty orders of magnitude higher
than the fear of falling hard in your teens, and if you're not falling... ogsmile

Your learning curve in your 50s is obviously a whole lot flatter than it is in your teens.
But I don't think age, ultimately, is an impediment to becoming a great skier. Time is.
Becoming a good/great skier requires a LOT of commitment, hard work, effort, good guidance and dedication.
Some measure of talent, of course, and arguably, gobs of money if you take it up in your 50s.
That's it really.

I haven't met too many middle-aged men or women that can afford themselves the luxury
of full commitment and unlimited time on the slopes. Life for most gets in the way of that.
The older you get, the more time you need to throw at it, but the less time you realistically have.
Therein lies the conundrum. Not a winning formula...
So, to me, it all boils down to commitment and time (and its affordability).
If you start skiing in your 50s and have both of these things in spades, you can be a great skier.

Urgh, I wish I could still surf five hours/day everyday like I used to back in the day... :ogbiggrin:
Oh yeah, definitely. But there are also issues around flexibilité and recovering from bumps and bruises. And fear of falling is a real impediment if you're older, so time is just one factor in why it's so hard to master skiing or surfing in your 50s.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
My newest hero was close on my tails yesterday. He is 81 yo and took took up skiing at 68. Plans to ski 100 days this season. We were working on bump line skiing. He wants to master skiing wherever he pleases. His Killington over 80 season pass is only $59.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Get on craigslist and buy yourself a used SkiersEdge then set it on a soft setting and Use it. Find your center of balance, learn the feeling. It will take you a while I'm sure to get comfortable but you will shortcut a lot of wasted time on the snow.
What is this “wasted time on the snow” of which you speak?

Don'tfit

Putting on skis
Skier
That would be the time you spend doubting you can do when of course you can do.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Those of you who have never stood at the top of a run and had doubts, raise your hands.

The only way to overcome doubts is to face them.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Those of you who have never stood at the top of a run and had doubts, raise your hands.

The only way to overcome doubts is to face them.
No, never had any doubts whatsoever....that I could side slip or traverse my way out. Well practiced at survival skiing, I am. :ogbiggrin: