• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Know anyone who learned to ski after 50? Be honest.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
On the other hand, i never met anyone who started after 20 and is a very good skier.
BS :nono:
Then you must not know many skiers. There is at least one well known level three PSIA instructor on this board who didn’t start until much later than that.
And if memory serves, @KingGrump didn’t start skiing until college, and I don’t know whether you have skied with him or not, but if he isn’t a very good skier, I don’t know who is.
Skiing well is 90% attitude and desire, which begets effort.

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
If you are willing and are physically able, I think you'll be fine. I'm 51 and this is my 3rd year with season-pass. Although I grew up in Utah and have skied a few times in the past, I didn't really learn. I used to ski a day or two every 3 to 4 years -- went 10+ years without -- so not much.

After moving back to Utah in 2018, I signed up for Snowbasin's Learn-and-Earn, 3-year program and I am in my last year of it. I am now skiing mostly blacks and blues at Snowbasin and just skied Sun Valley's black/blue. Don't get me wrong, I still have a long ways to go to get to my "ideal" state, but I just want to share my experience with you. Of course, I am also fortunate in that I have a friend who's a former olympian/skier who helps me; I was also a collegiate athlete and played competitive club volleyball until I was 46. I ask a lot of questions, read a lot, and watch a lot of videos. I still suck in deep powder and moguls, but am getting better.

In short, keep at it and be safe. Have fun at it, even if frustration does set in once in a while. Folks here have been very helpful.
Thanks for the encouragement. Your 2 disclaimers are strong enough that I can use your enthusiasm and encouragement but not your experience. I know no skiing experts and I have never been a competitive athlete. I have become more athletic in the past 15 years and am trying to awaken my balance system, but it’s still really foreign to me. Group lessons at Winter Park 3 months ago did nothing great for me except keeping me busy for 3 hours and mostly upright, so it’s going to be individual lessons or nothing for me. I’m also going to stick to resorts with decent runout room at the bottom, enough room for a beginner to stop before getting tangled in the catch fence.

SkiVt

Booting up
Pass Pulled
BS :nono:
Then you must not know many skiers. There is at least one well known level three PSIA instructor on this board who didn’t start until much later than that.
And if memory serves, @KingGrump didn’t start skiing until college, and I don’t know whether you have skied with him or not, but if he isn’t a very good skier, I don’t know who is.
Skiing well is 90% attitude and desire, which begets effort.
Depends on a person’s athleticism, I have taught plenty of adults who turned into excellent skiers, it also helps to have an excellent teacher

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....Group lessons at Winter Park 3 months ago did nothing great for me except keeping me busy for 3 hours and mostly upright, so it’s going to be individual lessons or nothing for me. I’m also going to stick to resorts with decent runout room at the bottom, enough room for a beginner to stop before getting tangled in the catch fence.
Choose the individual lessons, and get started now. Why wait? You get older every day. Don't waste the time you've got. Just do it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Know anyone who learned to ski after 50? Be honest

I will say that I learned to ski .... way more conservatively after age 50.... out of necessity. My balance, strength, eyesight, and many other faculties diminished considerably after turning 50. I could excuse it as simply not getting out often enough but I know that's not the main reason. Age 18 through the 40s I had several long breaks, some of it multi year breaks but was able to be back up to 90% of top form in a day or two. More reently, I've accepted the fact that I'll never be able to go as big as I used to.. that my injuries are re-aggrivated way easier now.. that my internal gyroscope doesn't work nearly as well as it used to.

Can a noob learn to ski at a high level starting post age 50 with a lot of on the snow time?? Absolutely! If someone is in reasonably good shape and puts 50 plus days a season in they likely become a very good, even "expert" skier with a couple years of that level of effort.

However, same person gets in a time machine and puts in the same (or even less) effort back when they were age 16 and they'd totally smoke their 50 something year old expert self..

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Will start as soon as it gets cold again

Or maybe take a ski trip if you can! And extend the season. I started to ski a few years ago, and i was no youngster. I used to ski like shit, and I am happy to report that I still do. The good news is, I don't give a shit, so it all makes sense in a holistic way :roflmao:

But yes, like most people mentioned so far, and I can relate to that, you can learn. Enough to move around, all over the mountain. I do think the things that help are lessons, equipment ... and time on snow! So, ski as much as you can, and have fun.

I was reading your OP and boy, do I sympathize. Season one was just about not falling too often, on "greens". It was ridden with fear. Season 2 I had this intense fear of getting on the wrong run. Three seasons later I was skiing some of the expert terrain, off-piste. Like shit, yes, but safely. I didn't look pretty. But I am not dying to "look pretty", or impress anybody. Or prove anything. I just find that a combination of good equipment, instruction, and time on snow allows me to go to more places in the mountain, in more challenging conditions. These days i rarely ski on a "run", I mostly go to whatever place doesn't seem crowded, and it's all natural beauty. This is your reward:

So, I am glad that you got plenty of encouragement and good direction in this thread, and you seem to be on the right track. SkiTalk is a great place to get good advice. Once you get to about 30-50 ski days, with proper instruction, the fear will be gone, and it will all be pure joy. We have the privilege of being kids again, on a gigantic, natural, amusement park. Enjoy every moment of that, and don't let anyone rain on your parade. You will be good enough to have plenty of fun, and there is nothing else that matters. Nothing.

:beercheer:

Last edited:
TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
E0F7B2A4-152E-4F13-A3FC-2C0AED87C6F0.jpeg

1st honest Blue run, and as always seems to be the case, it was steeper than the photo makes it look. Wide enough that I was 51% confident I could do it before trying. Unlike Winter Park, this place had more runout room at the bottom to accommodate us beginners who are still figuring out the amount of oomph it takes to stop quickly. I’m doing the edging thing, both sides, but I must be afraid of edging the skis that last little bit that will stop me on a dime vs. almost stopping. Colorado resorts seem to put catch fences at locations where there is still slope, thus keeping us beginners intimidated where we belong.

Last edited:

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Does that mean smooth, round turns or sudden Z-shaped turns?

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
Did you gain speed as you got towards the bottom?
Not if I kept doing narrow, side to side skid type turns. Well, the only turn type I can do is the “steer with outside ski plowing while trying to take more and more weight off the inside ski to keep it from dragging and maybe get it close to parallel”, severe version of that on steeper sections, gentler version on lesser slope, really focused on having more load on the downhill ski during this 2 day trip

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
So you start by first pressuring the new outside ski (right ski in left turn) and then trying to make the new inside ski catch up.

Next time you're skiing, go to a shallow hill, do a straight run in a narrow wedge and flatten one ski. Feel how that decreases the resistance on that ski and lets the other one start you turning without you making an effort to add weight to the other one. That's what happens in parallel turns when you release the edges,

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
So you start by first pressuring the new outside ski (right ski in left turn) and then trying to make the new inside ski catch up.

Next time you're skiing, go to a shallow hill, do a straight run in a narrow wedge and flatten one ski. Feel how that decreases the resistance on that ski and lets the other one start you turning without you making an effort to add weight to the other one. That's what happens in parallel turns when you release the edges,
I’m essentially starting my turns with one ski wedged to force the turn to start, then trying to lighten the inside ski more and more. It’s slowly getting better. When I took lessons at Winter Park in Colorado, the instructor tried to teach us the patient turn letting the slightly wedged outside ski start the turn with the inside flattened. Well, my attempt at flattening a ski. My legs still haven’t figured out exactly how to make that happen, mostly because my legs and ankles are still working on keeping me upright. Not trying to be a pain, just telling you that it’s not intuitive to me hoe to maneuver my legs/ankles to get the skis flat other than wiggling things until I feel that ski have no resistance, but it’s still a momentary trial and error each time. Every time I tried to release the inside edge, the turn never just magically started and I had to force it. I really tried to make that kind of turn work and it isn’t working yet. It’s hard to be patient and let the turn develop when I’m beginning to careen down a steep or green or shallow blue Hill.Even when traversing, I’m still mostly sliding sideways kind of like a car drifting. It’s still not comfortable for me to put the edges in during the traverse, though I know that it’s the key for me to get to the next level because you can’t release edges that aren’t set in the first place.
I really think that continuing my 2x weekly ice skating through spring and summer and fall will allow my skiing to “take off” next year with even more balance reawakening in my 54 year old body.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@jwtravel You need to learn the power of your edges. Try standing on your skis perpendicular to the fall line with the uphill edges dug in to keep you stationary. Slowly allow the downhill edges to drop until you start sliding sidewise down the hill. Bring those downhill edges back up to stop you from sliding. Keep doing this until you believe your edges will actually stop you from sliding, then try using your edges again in your turns. This is a very basic drill that I recall from my early lesson days.

TS
J

jwtravel

JWTravel (man)
Skier
@jwtravel You need to learn the power of your edges. Try standing on your skis perpendicular to the fall line with the uphill edges dug in to keep you stationary. Slowly allow the downhill edges to drop until you start sliding sidewise down the hill. Bring those downhill edges back up to stop you from sliding. Keep doing this until you believe your edges will actually stop you from sliding, then try using your edges again in your turns. This is a very basic drill that I recall from my early lesson days.
I did a narrow, steep enough blue at Granite Peak that I side slipped down the first 50 feet of it or so until I had more real estate to make turns. However, all I could manage was to keep myself slowed down. My rental ski edges’ quality or my skill quality could not produce a complete stop. I have to assume it’s still me and that I just need to do it more. Until I feel confident, speed is the biggest fear I have when trying to be patient in turns. I think I need to do tons more off-season work on my balance to be able to trust myself at higher speeds, then my turn patience will grow and the edges taking over won’t make me lose my balance and fall.

Sponsor

Staff online