• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Know where to go in the Alps

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
When it comes to natural features such as local geography and weather, there are some places you definitely want to go in the Alps, and also places to avoid. Depending on what you're looking for, obviously. Here's some general info that could help you in making smart choices.

Elevation and trees
Compared to North-America, the treeline in the Alps is quite low. On average, treelines are at 1,800 - 2,000 meters above sea level. There is a lot of skiable terrain above that elevation, with great open bowls and couloirs. The downside: white-out conditions. In places like Tignes, Val Thorens, Zermatt, Ischgl, whiteouts can limit your skiing considerably. If you want to ski below treeline around those places on whiteout days, you need to hop over to specific parts of the ski area to even find trees.

In terms of ‘snow sure’ elevation, you need to go higher up in the West than in the East. In France, 1,500 m above sea level is considered ‘safe for snow’, whereas in Austria, that level is at 1,200 m.

Weather and snow
The Alps are quite a big region, and as is mostly the case with mountains, the weather systems can be complex. There are however some weather patterns and weather ‘zones’ that are closely connected to the geography of the region.

There are five weather zones in the Alps. They are more or less defined by the general direction they get snow from. If a storm or moisture-loaded air mass pushes against the mountains, the air mass is pushed upwards and snow falls if air temperature is low enough. These five zones overlap a bit. A region that is in such an overlap gets snow from multiple directions. The famous snowy places such as the Arlberg region (Eastern and Western part of the Northern Alps)and the Mont Blanc region (Northern Alps West, Western Alps, Southern Alps West) get the most snow. The same goes for resorts along the Main Alpine Crest, a chain of the highest peaks that generally divides the Alps between North + West vs South. All glacier resorts are situated on the Main Alpine Crest.

Alps weather zones.png
The Alps and the five weather zones

Most storms reach the Alps from the North, West, and North-West. Snow from the South is more rare, on average. But if it snows there, it’s mostly in big dumps. Generally speaking, the South gets less natural snow, or at least less frequent. The amount of Blue Bird days, however, supersedes the North. These are all averages, of course. There is no way of knowing beforehand whether next winter will be a ‘Western’, ‘Northern’, or ‘Southern’ winter.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Cheizz Thanks for that. It really is interesting had not heard of the Main Alpine Crest or seen the zones broken down.
A curious minds question from a Sunday morning.
In NA we have "The Farmers Almanac", that forecasts weather for the coming year, It has been published for well over 200 years, and often accurate. Is there any publication like that in Europe?

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Not a 'publication' that I know of. But some regions have their own old wives' tales and superstitions of course. In France, it is said the yellow gentian height in august predicts the amount of snow for the coming winter. That sort of thing.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Every weather website publishes a season forecast, updated every month.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Regarding big snow dumps in Europe, whereas say Tahoe of old might have taken a few hours to dig everything out, in Europe it can mean multiday lift closure and indeed road closure.

Places like Val Thorens and Zermatt - Cervinia are indeed pretty miserable in winds or whiteouts.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very useful post @Cheizz ! Goed werk!

One key thing to realize, is that the Alps are relatively ‘skinny’ and close to the sea on the south, northwest and north sides.
This means, that within a fairly short distance, you can have very different weather and climate.
In north America, this is far les common, so this would be something to pay attention too for North Americans.

You can use it to your advantage if you are flexible, to chase storms. But at a minimum, look closely at where the ski area you are considering is located, in relation to the macro geography of the Alps. When you are zoomed out, looking at a map, two areas might seem to be in the same general region, but if they are on different sides of the main Alpine Crest, the weather and climate might be very different.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I am considering a trip to Val d'Isere-Tignes for this winter, after not skiing anywhere (in Europe, UK-based) last season. I have previousy skied Soelden/Obergurgl/Oeztal valley 3X, Trois Vallees, Portes de Soleil, Chamonix Mont Blanc, and Cortina. I like the larger places where I can ski a variety of mountains during the week or long weekend. I don't mind long train journeys, or the shuttle connections from Geneva, but I generally would not rent a car to get to/from/around, and definitely would not hire a private transfer taxi/car. Should I consider somewhere else (such as Wengen-Grindelwald), or does Val d'Isere seem like a good bet?

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am considering a trip to Val d'Isere-Tignes for this winter, after not skiing anywhere (in Europe, UK-based) last season. I have previousy skied Soelden/Obergurgl/Oeztal valley 3X, Trois Vallees, Portes de Soleil, Chamonix Mont Blanc, and Cortina. I like the larger places where I can ski a variety of mountains during the week or long weekend. I don't mind long train journeys, or the shuttle connections from Geneva, but I generally would not rent a car to get to/from/around, and definitely would not hire a private transfer taxi/car. Should I consider somewhere else (such as Wengen-Grindelwald), or does Val d'Isere seem like a good bet?

The Espace Killy is my go-to area for early-season trips (also UK based). The combination of its snow record and the two glaciers makes it pretty snow sure. Also, it’s got a wide variety of terrain, so just about everyone can find what they’re looking for.

I usually go to lower areas for mid-season trips, but I highly recommend it if you’re going early or late in the season.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
All good information.

I might add that the Alps get much less snow than, say, the western US or BC. The Dolomites are actually rather dry in general, and it's only their vast and expert snowmaking that allows them to have a full season, from Christmas to early/mid April.

Good point about clearing out after blizzards. I think it's a combination of narrow roads, small villages and key passes, plus of course, mobs of visitors, that create the multi-day chaos we see here. One year we were driving down to Les Saisies, stopped overnight in Beaune (halfway from Paris, so around 3.5 hours). Next morning snow started; we had one chance to get off the A40 before we were committed to it; ducked off and took backroads and the Col d'Aravis. Took us 8 hours but we made it. Not so for the thousands of people who spent the night in their cars on the A40 because it was closed...last year it happened again:

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
A very nice example of a southern push of moist air... THis means big dumps on the Italian side and maybe even Föhn (strong warm southerly winds) on the north side of the Alpine Main Crest...

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-02-23 om 14.49.44.png

Source: https://wepowder.com/nl

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier

We skied Val d'Isere and Tignes aback in 2019. No need for a car as they have a really good free bus system.

We had a mixed bag of weather with a few days of very limited visibility. It was well worth hiring a guide those days!

Big place, fun place. It was a bucket lister for me and I am glad we went.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January