• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KSL to Manage Blue Mountain (Pa).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
PALMERTON, Pa. - A popular resort in the Poconos is now under new management.

KSL Resorts, which owns Camelback Resort, is now managing Blue Mountain Resort.

“KSL Resorts is excited to manage Blue Mountain Resort as it’s located in one of the Poconos’ most spectacular settings and is the ideal complement to Camelback’s numerous indoor and outdoor adventures – especially with its close proximity," said Shawn Hauver, vice president of asset performance for KSL Resorts and managing director for Camelback Resort.

Hauver also praised President and CEO Barb Green for maintaining the natural splendor of the mountains.

Full story HERE.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
PALMERTON, Pa. - A popular resort in the Poconos is now under new management.

KSL Resorts, which owns Camelback Resort, is now managing Blue Mountain Resort.

“KSL Resorts is excited to manage Blue Mountain Resort as it’s located in one of the Poconos’ most spectacular settings and is the ideal complement to Camelback’s numerous indoor and outdoor adventures – especially with its close proximity," said Shawn Hauver, vice president of asset performance for KSL Resorts and managing director for Camelback Resort.

Hauver also praised President and CEO Barb Green for maintaining the natural splendor of the mountains.

Full story HERE.

Ouch. Amazing that my day trips will now be limited to a ski area run by NY State.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blue Mountain PA. Home of the scariest, gnarliest, most dangerous trail in North America.

The Burma Road during Christmas week.

Never seen anything even remotely like it.

Not sure KSL & Camelback can address that.
Absolutely the worst green run ever! But Blue also has the best for the Poconos in Paradise, so that's a win!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Someone please tell me this is a good thing.
I could tell you that it is, but then I would be lying. ;) Honestly, I was never a fan of the way Blue ran things in the past so I would say it is a lateral move at best/worst.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
The devil you know i guess. Hopefully they will invest in the ski mountain and not just add a mountain coaster and a hotel. I know those kind of things add to revenue, if they work, but i’m not confident that any increased revenue will make it to making the ski experience better. Do they manage any other ski resorts other than camelback? I briefly looked at their website and it looks like a lot of beach resorts.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
The devil you know i guess. Hopefully they will invest in the ski mountain and not just add a mountain coaster and a hotel. I know those kind of things add to revenue, if they work, but i’m not confident that any increased revenue will make it to making the ski experience better. Do they manage any other ski resorts other than camelback? I briefly looked at their website and it looks like a lot of beach resorts.

On the bright side, maybe they will....Nevermind, there is no bright side here.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Just thinking out loud, but, I wonder if Blue ownership entered into a "lease-buy" agreement? Unlike @Philpug , I give the Blue ownership full credit for developing a very good ski area at the southern edge of skiing in along the I-95 corridor in the east. The weather in S/E Pa. is just not suited for great snow-making, too much warm, humid, wet conditions. The Pocono's to the north enjoy colder weather. Blue enjoys a 1000' vertical with high speed quads, easy to get 5 runs per hour with no crowds. Noplace else in Pa. can you do this. The former owner-manager of Blue was very into cost containment, you have to be very tough to run a good ski area. With all the negative comments coming from Camelbak locals this year, I predict next year will not be welcoming to Blue regulars.

Burma Road, my father served n Burma in WW2 with Merrills Marauders, I have often wondered if Blue's founder did the same, you can read about it in History, the road from India to China, important for the Allies to supply China in that war.

On a personal note, wnen one 70, you ski there free, I hope it continues! Blue was my home mountain for 10 years prior to moving and an arthritic knee. Knee replaced now, hope to ski there next season.

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a Blue season pass holder I’m not expecting much in the way of improving the skiing experience. I’d like to think we’d see snowmaking for Coming Soon but’s it probably just means lodging and non-skiing attractions. My real hope is that it goes on Ikon but even that is a double edge sword.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a Blue season pass holder I’m not expecting much in the way of improving the skiing experience. I’d like to think we’d see snowmaking for Coming Soon but’s it probably just means lodging and non-skiing attractions. My real hope is that it goes on Ikon but even that is a double edge sword.
If there’s no snowmaking for Coming Soon, then it should be renamed “Once in Awhile.”

It was a really fun run this year, though, due to the natural snow coverage. But that was an anomaly.

Blue already has good downhill mountain biking, a zip line and some ropes courses, plus “glamping.” I hope there’s no mountain coaster. The hotel the original owners were planning hit a snafu because the Appalachian Trail runs along the top of the ridge there; don’t know the status of that but it’s not needed nor wanted by locals.

That said, running a ski area is hard work, especially in snow-poor PA. I don’t blame the owners for wanting to sell, even though I’m not sure KSL will be a good change.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January