• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Pugski asked me how often I used a ski a bag, and the answer was at least once a week. My normal routine is to pack two or three pairs of skis in a Level Nine soft-sided bag, lug it up the basement stairs, throw it in the car, and head to the local hill. There it gets put outside on a wood deck, and the family uses the skis they want. The current bag works well, but since I like to overload ski bags, the straps have ripped off and I haven’t sewed them back on yet. @Philpug asked if I would be willing to review a Kulkea bag, so here is the short-term review.

So what is Kulkea, let alone how is it pronounced? My family is well aware that I pronounce most things wrong and likes to laugh at me, not with me. So, from its website: "Kulkea (cool-kee-ah) is the Finnish word meaning 'to go.' Kulkea’s one-of-a kind ski and snow sport products are developed to get you on the snow quickly, easily, and hassle free."

So one day a package shows up, and it’s the bag. I was expecting a bigger package. I forgot to a take picture of it before unwrapping it, but it was compressed to about 2 feet long and can be stored at that length when not in use. I unfolded the bag and inspected it. It looked very durable, and the wheels rolled very smoothly. The bag is well-padded all the way around.

20181218_230119.jpg

The bag has space for two sets of skis with a divider in between. The divider is velcroed so it can be adjusted if needed. Straps keep the skis from moving on both ends of bag. It also has a place for two pairs of poles, which is a nice feature. Both sides of the bag also have two storage pouches for clothing or accessory items. Initial inspection indicates that this a well-built bag with appropriate space for skis and other gear.

I have fit three pairs of skis into it, though I probably wouldn't fly like that. Of course, if you take bindings off, you could fit more than two pairs in this bag.

20181218_230129.jpg

20181218_230137.jpg
Tip and tail straps.

20181218_230145.jpg
Pole straps.

20181218_230155.jpg

20181218_231714.jpg
Divider.

Product Specs
  • Colors: black and gray with blue and white accents.
  • Materials: super-tough, water-resistant 1680D ballistic polyester and tarpaulin.
  • Dimensions: 6.5-in. high x 13.5 in. wide x 77.5 in. long; extended length is 81.6 in.
  • Sizing: 195 cm; extends to 205 cm.
Kulkea has video that shows it very well.

This review will be updated with longer-term results. I don't plan on flying with it this winter, but a friend will use it for his yearly work/ski trip to Denver. Plus, it will keep getting dragged up and down stairs and around the ski hill parking lot.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
To compare with other products, the son purchased a less expensive bag a month ago. His bag has ski straps that really don't fit skis 90mm or greater and the wheels are clunky sounding, while the Kulkea bag wheels are quiet and smooth. Padding in this bag is better too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Everything we've seen from Kulkea has been super durable.
Since we travel by car most of the time, I rarely get a chance to use a ski bag, but I'm stoked to see this and would definitely use a Kulkea if I fly somewhere.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It looks like a great bag if you’re in the market for one. I keep looking at their boot bags since mine is getting way worn. They look very spacious and durable as well.

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for the review and I just pulled the trigger on this ski bag. have outfitted the family with Kulkea boot bags and have been rock solid (including the junior model) over the last two years Very durable, still look new and can't recommend them enough.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The next test will be how the wheels handle snow. Of course, my area will have to actually get snow to test that theory.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Thanks for the helpful review. I am starting to look for a new multi-pair roller and this is certainly a candidate. Does it have any plastic "shielding" in it for durability?
I've been using a Lacroix 2 pair roller for the past 4 seasons, and after a ton of flights, it's starting to show the wear and tear from airline handling. I can definitely finish the season with it, but not sure if it will make it to next season. Mine has padding and some strategically placed plastic to help armor the skis, which I think has been helpful, but does not have any straps/securing inside the bag, so I have to pack it very well to protect everything inside.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the helpful review. I am starting to look for a new multi-pair roller and this is certainly a candidate. Does it have any plastic "shielding" in it for durability?
I've been using a Lacroix 2 pair roller for the past 4 seasons, and after a ton of flights, it's starting to show the wear and tear from airline handling. I can definitely finish the season with it, but not sure if it will make it to next season. Mine has padding and some strategically placed plastic to help armor the skis, which I think has been helpful, but does not have any straps/securing inside the bag, so I have to pack it very well to protect everything inside.

It does have plastic on the bottom by the roller area. I couldn't find plastic anywhere else. It is heavily padded though. Out of the 3 I have had my hands on, this is the nicest.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The bag will be taking a trip to Denver area next week, but with out me. :( Looking forward to seeing how it holds up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The bag will be taking a trip to Denver area next week, but with out me. :( Looking forward to seeing how it holds up.
Some bags have all the fun.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
From my friend that used the bag on a trip to Denver.

Thank you for lending the ski bag. Without a doubt this is the one of the best ski bags I have used.
Very durable construction securely holding skis and poles in place keeping them from banging around. There are even extra pockets to store gear.
The roller wheels are a great feature on this bag allowing for easy transport around the airport.
The multiple carrying handles make this bag easy to carry of course but also helped when it came to moving the bag and skis around.
Without a doubt this is a great bag and well worth the $$.

Thank you Dwight!

Sponsor

Staff online