• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kulkea Thermal Trekker, how do you use yours?

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I bought the Sportube heated bag from Ski Essentials. I’ve only used it once since our skiing here in SW Pa. has been so bad and I have not been driving out to Seven Springs ( hopefully that changes soon).
Anyway , I was concerned about theft so I went to check the bag at the indoor ski check room and they didn’t want to take it. Big room which was completely empty !
Anyway the lady did take it.
Told me there were new lockers that it would fit in downstairs but she thought the were $15 a day!!!!
Anyway, game plan is to plug it in on lower setting before going to bed, and then plug in car for the hour drive to the hill.
Maybe I will use my other non heated boot bag and transfer when I get there not really caring about that bag. But that plan would likely be a PITA!

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love this boot bag.. Was a game changer during the "covid years" having to boot up at the car.. Now a days, most of my skiing requires a 30 min drive, so I plug in at the house on high while getting ready, then use the 12v in the car on way to mountain. Once there, my boots are toasty warm, and easy to get on. I pack all my ski stuff in the bag (except jacket). I Love it!

Last edited:

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
Like others I put mine on a timer to turn on 2 hours befog leaving the house and set it on high. Plug it into the 12V plug on my way to the mountain.
As far as how I use it, I put my boot liners in the middle compartment (I put liners on first then step into the shell) and the shells in the two boot compartment. Gloves go with the liners in the middle compartment. misc stuff like gummi stone, small file, ski locks....in the top and spare lens in the lens pocket. I got so used to booting up in the lot during COVID I still do it so no issues with storing the bag when skiing. Love the bag....

TS
Tex

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
Took my daughter skiing, and was able to fit her boots in the middle compartment, so that worked out great!

Her boot..
C9DB4B63-E68B-4622-8A72-AF9A76B4B8CC.jpeg

Boot 1 in...
823C72D0-8F2E-4788-87A1-F1E34A8E55F7.jpeg

Boot 2 in...
65911341-6DDF-45FB-B2E0-8C3F1242E8F8.jpeg

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
From home, I use the 12v plug in my car to warm up the boots. I remove the liners from my boots when I get home to properly dry them out. It's not that much of a PITA, just became part of the routine.

When traveling by air, I'll put my ski boots in my carry-on suitcase, and like @bbinder stuff my Kulkea bag with other clothes and luggage check with ski bag. At whatever accommodations, I'll plug in my bag with boots on high as soon as I wake up and start getting ready. Sometimes I plug them in at night and leave them on low all night.
That's a smart travel solution! Not heard that beforehand. FYI - Next season we're launching an inexpensive Boot Packing Cube ($29.95) which would be perfect for how you travel because it comes with a handle.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Just got mine, have not used it yet. My only knock I wish they had a version without all the pockets, I will not use any of those pockets, I want it just to keep my boots warm, I got back pack I keep my gear I ski with...too bad the middle pocket is not big enough for a second pair of boots.

Anyways, would be interested how you guys use yours. Do you leave it on all night before a ski day? Maybe also use it to dry out your boots? I used to take my liners out every night, I hate messing with that and don't do it very much.

I noticed the temperature setting (low, med, high..) is on the 120v AC cord, I guess the setting also work if you use the 12v DC plug (car plug)? My boots are very stiff , I boot up in the parking lot, really look forward in seeing how this makes booting up easier.
The DC plug is a fixed warming system and unrelated to the variable low, medium and high settings on the AC plug. We advise heating the boots using the AC plug at home/condo/hotel before hopping in a vehicle where you'll use the DC plug to keep them warm. As others have already mentioned the initial heating up can be quick (e.g. 60-90 minutes), as a result of the Thermal Trekker being built on a patented dual heating system. This uniquely developed system allows each boot to be enveloped for optimal heating. We don't market the Thermal Trekker as a dryer because drying requires ventilation. We suggest letting boots ventilate overnight in a dry open air inside location, then warming them in the morning before hitting the road for the hill. The pockets and helmet sling are the result of the Thermal Trekker being built on our Intuitive Packing System (IPS), which allows for organized storage and carrying as many skiers live out of their boot bags like mobile boot lockers.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I tend to use a boot dryer over night and then put my boots in the bag in the morning, turn it on and get the best of both worlds, warm and dry inside/soft shell to put on before skiing.
I've especially liked it with the last two pair of boots I have had. One is a 120 flex and the other pair is the Purple Haze Heritage boot, 140 flex which we softened.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The heating pad on one side of my Thermal Trekker is once again not working on AC power. This is the second time this has happened--this is the replacement heating pad I received last year to cover the first one malfunctioning. The warranty form is cumbersome to fill out with pictures, etc. especially considering this is the second time now. I am kind of frustrated that this is an ongoing issue. I love the bag otherwise. I sure wish they'd get the quality under control on these heating pads.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I tend to use a boot dryer over night and then put my boots in the bag in the morning, turn it on and get the best of both worlds, warm and dry inside/soft shell to put on before skiing.
I've especially liked it with the last two pair of boots I have had. One is a 120 flex and the other pair is the Purple Haze Heritage boot, 140 flex which we softened.
What boot dryer do you like?

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Thermal Trekker works great. I don't have enough time in the morning to plug it in the AC at home before leaving, so I just use the lighter plug for my 50-minute drive to the mountain. That is enough time to warm them enough to make getting into my 130 boots easy. I try to avoid putting wet boots back in the bag, so at the end of the day I put the boots in a plastic bin in the back of my car and then dry them when back home.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
The heating pad on one side of my Thermal Trekker is once again not working on AC power. This is the second time this has happened--this is the replacement heating pad I received last year to cover the first one malfunctioning. The warranty form is cumbersome to fill out with pictures, etc. especially considering this is the second time now. I am kind of frustrated that this is an ongoing issue. I love the bag otherwise. I sure wish they'd get the quality under control on these heating pads.
The number of warranty issues we have for the Thermal Trekker compared to the number of products we have in the market is very low. We actually have in our office a Thermal Trekker signed by Phil Pugliese which he used for 450 days on the hill, and it still works. I know that doesn't help you though, and I'm sorry you've had this issue. We've worked hard to make the warranty claim process as easy as possible. Unlike other companies which require return of the product for inspection, we request images as we feel that would be a lot easier for people vs. packing and shipping a product to us. What we find to be the biggest challenge for people is locating the proof of purchase, which is why we recommend registering all products for warranty coverage around the time of purchase. Warranty registration takes just a couple minutes, and can be done from a smart phone.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The number of warranty issues we have for the Thermal Trekker compared to the number of products we have in the market is very low. We actually have in our office a Thermal Trekker signed by Phil Pugliese which he used for 450 days on the hill, and it still works. I know that doesn't help you though, and I'm sorry you've had this issue. We've worked hard to make the warranty claim process as easy as possible. Unlike other companies which require return of the product for inspection, we request images as we feel that would be a lot easier for people vs. packing and shipping a product to us. What we find to be the biggest challenge for people is locating the proof of purchase, which is why we recommend registering all products for warranty coverage around the time of purchase. Warranty registration takes just a couple minutes, and can be done from a smart phone.
Thank you for the reply. I emailed several weeks ago about this issue as I wasn't sure how I needed to handle it since it was a replacement heating pad. I didn't hear back until two days ago when I finally decided I'd try a warranty claim again. I answered a few questions and am hoping to hear back soon how it will be handled.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@KULKEA or anyone else.

I frequently will go and work for 2-3 hours, and then head up the hill to ski. So that means my boots are sitting in the cab of my truck slowly cooling from the 62 degrees I keep my house at down to whatever the temperature of my truck cab is.

Im thinking about using one of those portable jumpstart packs I can charge every couple days and attaching the bag to that while Im working. Or one of these Milwaukee power supplies since I have a dozen of those batteries already in my truck.

Id probably only run it on low power.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Unfortunately I no longer use the heating in mine. It has stopped working now. Slowly started warming less & less, then no longer warms. Still looks good though. Need to explore alternatives.

Sponsor