• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

L5 Microdiscectomy

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
I haven’t skied in 4 years because of excruciating pain in my back and leg because of a ruptured L4/L5 disc. Has anyone out there had a microdiscectomy? How is your skiing post surgery? I’m getting ready to get chopped open and would like to know specifically how the entire process impacts your ski life. Thank you.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had L4/L5 microdiscectomy a few years ago, ended my season early but I came back strong the next year. Give yourself time to recover and do physical therapy. The impact on my skiing is that I pay attention to what my back is telling me. Most days I don’t have any problems but if I start feeling twinges I back off. Don’t try to tough it out. I haven‘t backed off on the terrain and snow conditions I ski. I avoid big impacts though I’ve never been one for getting much air. Hope this helps.

BTW. I had laminectory/discectomy in 2002 and was out of work for 6 weeks. I had the microdiscectomy on a Friday and was back to work in a week. It’s amazing how the techniques have advanced over a short time.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My son had a double discectomy about 2 years ago. L4/L5 on one side, L5S1 on the other. He followed the doctor’s advice, did therapy and bounced back in about 6 month with no issues.

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
I had a micro laminectomy surgery at L2/L3 in 2018. The first 30 days I had no activity and then started to rehab slowly. I was playing golf after 60 days and have had no back issues since the surgery.
Goof Luck!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My younger daughter had L4-5 surgery a year ago and is doing great. Back to full activity and skied fine last winter. Followed the doctor’s recommendations to the letter.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had four microdiscectomy/ laminectomys and I am still skiing the black diamond stuff. I can still ski bumps but not all day and not as fast. The important thing is to have a strong core, do your rehab, and pay attention to your body. There are days when I just know that I can't ski and days when I have to quit early, but they are few. Go for the surgery but find good surgeon. If you are in the Seattle area I can recommend one.

TS
Paul Frede

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Thank you for all the replies. This gives me hope.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
I have sacralization probably from birth, ruptured L5-L4 resolved itself much younger then, rupture L4-L3 1 discotomy 6" cut micro? re ruptured two years later another discotomy. All good now 10 years later almost 60
ski black, dbl blacks with some bumps. I find collagen tabs from costco and stretching hamstrings and strengthening core have made it all good.
apparently mens hamstrings are naturally tighter and can cause the pelvis to tilt causing strain on lower back stretching hamstrings helps me with that GOOD Luck

TS
Paul Frede

Paul Frede

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Going under the knife tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DH had 3 surgeries. Two lumbar and one neck. Last one was about 10 years ago. Still skiing bumps at 77 yo.

The advice he always gives people going through this is be religious about doing Physical Therapy exercises and don't overdo. It took two surgeries for him to heed his own advice on that last point. :ogcool:

But seriously, you will recover fully much faster if you take it slow and steady. If you push it, you will backslide and lose time. If you don't do the exercises faithfully, same outcome. Trick is finding that sweetspot. And he does some kind of exercise every day still. Pilates, yoga, weights etc. This is for life, not just recovery time.

PS... I should say his bump skiing is much better than before as he now skis with more grace and finesse rather than brute force.

Good luck to you!

Sponsor