• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Land Cruiser. The End.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The other thing that Doug DeMuro doesn't mention is that for a lot of people the ugly Lexus grill is a deal breaker....and Lexus has it on their entire car lineup.:doh:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Branding..love it or leave it.. :ogbiggrin: Car makers do their homework. They do make blunders..boy do they ever...but on the whole, it just might not make sense to keep bringing in the LC.

Just read a bit..they only sold 3500 of them last year. And they apparently have a plan... Muwahaha! A Plan!!!!! :ogbiggrin:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Almost all car buying decisions that real people make are financially stupid. No matter how pretty, it’s usually a depreciating asset, which means it’s not really an asset at all.

Only buy air-cooled Porsches.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I saw Doug DeMuro's argument as to why this is a bad idea. Makes a lot of sense to me. There's no other understated $90K vehicle for a super-wealthy person to buy, and Toyota is mistaken in thinking those folks will buy the Lexus version.

My wife just bought a used GX (smaller and cheaper Lexus version), so you can see where that pegs us. :ogbiggrin:

A point I think Doug misses is that many new LC buyers will never see the inside of a Toyota dealership. They've got people who take care of such things for them.

For those of us who have to take our own vehicles for service, I do appreciate luxury brands. We've owned Acuras and Infinitis, and now a Lexus in addition to a Toyota.

I spent half a day waiting in a Lexus dealer for the pre-purchase inspection and very much enjoyed the experience vs. a Toyota dealer where that would have been torture. I comfortably worked in a large, nearly empty room next to a grand piano, vs. packed into an undersized waiting room at the Toyota dealer I frequent.
I like Doug as a commentator, but I think he goes too far here about all the money crap. He’s probably right about the understated, under-the-radar part of it to some extent. But to my way of thinking, most people who can talk seriously about buying a new LC, or even a lightly used one, can pretty much buy anything on the market in that segment. 120k for the long wheelbase Range Rover isn’t really that different than a LC. Sure it’s about 25%, but who really cares about that delta at that level. You buy the LC because you know what it is and want it to start, first time and every time, and you don’t want to spend 7k in year 5 to replace the stupid air suspension on your RR fresh out of warranty, assuming you even bought it and didn’t lease it to turn back in for a good paper deal “upgrade” at month 35. I’d be really interested to see lease vs purchase numbers for the big boy RR vs the LC. And same for the LX570. I’m not disparaging leases - that’s right for some people I suppose. I just suspect most LC buyers have a buy once and cry once mentality and most buyers of the RR, the Navigator, and the LX are of the lease and then turn in mentality.

Last edited:
TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Only buy air-cooled Porsches.
How about this one? It’s an 88 C4 5-speed that I borrowed from a friend for a couple weeks in the late fall/early winter. I was thinking about buying it, but it’s too raw. That, and I figured it would kill me one day. I gave it back to him with a couple bottles of scotch in it and said no thanks.
85F6CDB7-1A25-4D19-BBF3-3B6934077012.jpeg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The other thing that Doug DeMuro doesn't mention is that for a lot of people the ugly Lexus grill is a deal breaker....and Lexus has it on their entire car lineup.:doh:
I hated the Lexus grill when it first came out, but it's grown on me. I actually like the look of our GX.

I wouldn't ever pick an LX over an LC, though. I much prefer the LC branding and styling, but the GX is just such a better vehicle than the 4runner. And when buying used, the price isn't that different. Maybe because of the grill? Lots of lifted GX's running around the Denver area, both 460 and 470.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I hated the Lexus grill when it first came out, but it's grown on me. I actually like the look of our GX.

I wouldn't ever pick an LX over an LC, though. I much prefer the LC branding and styling, but the GX is just such a better vehicle than the 4runner. And when buying used, the price isn't that different. Maybe because of the grill? Lots of lifted GX's running around the Denver area, both 460 and 470.
Yeah, when buying used one can't let an ugly grill or colour be the deal breaker on an otherwise good deal.

Is the ugly Lexus grill like the "Emperor's New Clothes"? Someone needs to tell the boss that their signature grill does not work. The signature grill works for BMW but few others.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ouchie

142776335_2621975781435124_8034179963990409843_o.jpg
141372851_2621975574768478_5414829214271422459_o.jpg
143119906_2621975374768498_477668878407019460_o.jpg

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Yeah, when buying used one can't let an ugly grill or colour be the deal breaker on an otherwise good deal.

Is the ugly Lexus grill like the "Emperor's New Clothes"? Someone needs to tell the boss that their signature grill does not work. The signature grill works for BMW but few others.
The so-called kidney grill on the X7 and 7 class variants looks silly in my opinion. It’s creeping into the 5s. They look like waterlogged pinto beans. Give me the classic proportions of the CS, the 2002, and even the M30. The new versions are way too wide.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
How about this one? It’s an 88 C4 5-speed that I borrowed from a friend for a couple weeks in the late fall/early winter. I was thinking about buying it, but it’s too raw. That, and I figured it would kill me one day. I gave it back to him with a couple bottles of scotch in it and said no thanks.
View attachment 122151

It'll appreciate. Just sayin'.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
It'll appreciate. Just sayin'.
I don’t know. That thing was a hot rod. Heavily modified engine built by the 911 guru in GA. It wasn’t happy below 3k rpm. It was either 100% on or it was off and parked. 100 mph in 3rd on the ramp to the freeway, regularly. It was lightning in a bottle and would have killed me. Best to let it go, but it was fun while it lasted.

Sponsor

Staff online