• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Land Cruiser. The End.

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
That is what I found irritating -- why not continue to sell the LC as an mid-lux option? Leave some of the bells and whistles for the Lexus.
It’s odd - the Lexus variant never did much for me. Current gen, I really don’t like the grille, and I much prefer the LC cockpit to the Lexus. And I don’t want to have 2 massive screens behind the front seats that, given my intended use of this car, will mostly collect inordinate amounts of dog slobber. I understand these are 1st world problems of course.

The LC was always a niche car. Rank speculation, but I’d venture that most people in that $ car market have no idea what it is and wouldn’t care for it even if they did. A friend of mine has the new Lincoln Navigator - the black label or whatever they call it. It’s a much “nicer” car and at that level a few $k here or there is a rounding error. Same thing for the GMC Denalis and many others. Whatever. I don’t want a Lincoln.

I guess I am a little surprised Toyota never made the Sequoia into a super lux Lexus, as the LX570 doesn’t really compete size-wise with the big US sport utes or even the Infinity. The 2020 we now have is long in the tooth too, much like the Tundra upon which it is based, but even the refinement in that makes the 2008 we had feel plebeian. Damn good cars and trucks across the lineup as long as you don’t want a vanity nameplate. And I don’t.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not sure I get the sticker price - I thought the Landcruiser was always designed to take what the Jeep and Landrover Defender did and do it more reliably for longer. Obviously over time a little comfort crept in not unlike the LR Disco but its always seemed to me the byword in vehicles for harsh environments (alongside the Hilux which is the byword in mobile turrets for militias).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm just glad that Toyota still makes manual transmissions. In 2019 I was able to get a Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 with a 6MT Access Cab (extended cab) long bed. Exactly what I wanted AND they are only available in Canada.

The only other mid sized pickup with a MT is Jeep Gladiator. I wish someone would make a small pickup rather than just mid-sized.

@fatbob is the Hilux smaller (narrower) than a Tacoma?

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Not sure I get the sticker price - I thought the Landcruiser was always designed to take what the Jeep and Landrover Defender did and do it more reliably for longer. Obviously over time a little comfort crept in not unlike the LR Disco but its always seemed to me the byword in vehicles for harsh environments (alongside the Hilux which is the byword in mobile turrets for militias).
On price . . . it IS eye wateringly expensive, the Land Cruiser in shiny show-room floor newness. The talking points justifying the price belay some truth - they're built to a standard, not cost, like the Mercedes W123/124s of yore. If you peek under an LC and start comparing build spec, quality to other vehicles - it's not even close. Even examples within Toyota are remarkable, things like a tie rod end between a 200 series LC vs a Tundra (closest relative) to say, a Sequoia - the LC part is beefier, stronger, better in every regard. Things like solid box frame 100% of the chassis in LC vs partial box in Tundra. This list is long. And, frankly for the vast majority of US consumers the LC platform is gross overkill for their needs. You just don't "need" most of that stuff if you're not hardcore offroading or overlanding.

Final point on cost - LC is a 'buy it for life' vehicle and once you start getting into TCO calcs over lifespan, which is in the mythical 'million miler' range, again a la the Mercedes diesels of yore - it starts to make more sense. Also helps justify the stupidly awful MPG. Which could be measured in GPM . . . ;)

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
It changed massively over the years. The first I remember in my family was the 60 model, cloth seats, 4 speed. It was basically a tractor. Vague steering, not lux at all - it was when the U in SUV meant something. Then there was the 80 with the bulging fender attachments over the wheels. 6 cylinder but a little nicer. Leather and still had the manual transfer case/locking diff. The American press said it was underpowered. The 100 series got the V8 if I remember correctly, originally 4.6 liters if memory serves. We still have one. It was super lux by Toyota standards, and our example still has the floor mounted cellular phone holder. The current/final gen takes that even further. The soul of the LC is the same, but to compare any current, popular SUV to the LC is to compare Laffy Taffy to the old school salt water stuff still made by hand by the old man or woman with a candy shop off the courthouse square in any anonymous town that time has forgotten. It’s just different, and must be experienced in person to understand what you have. Pretty sure I mentioned this, but again, I’m a hopelessly biased fanboy.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
P.s. @Philpug we're taking a hard look at the full sized suburban/yukon in diesel, it's just an all around better family hauler w/ legit 3rd row and - if you gotta carry more than 4 adults - hands down winner for long road trips. It just is. We're (OK, me, I'm the "we") looking to convert the LC to an overlander - ditch 3rd row (a joke, good for little kids) - lift, suspension, wheels, skid plates, bumpers, winch, electrical (2nd battery) - racks, Aux fuel tank (range is a joke too). I plan to get ours built in next couple of years and take longer and longer wanderings out West, until I fully retire then I might just wander on a semi-permanent basis for a couple years.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have a strange dislike-verging-on-hatred for the word "Lexus." Revulsion, I guess, like how some people can't deal with "moist."

:roflmao:

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have a strange dislike-verging-on-hatred for the word "Lexus." Revulsion, I guess, like how some people can't deal with "moist."

1611597177369.png

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd rather get a car that is in the middle to end of it's product cycle than at the beginning.

Yes indeed. And I started out looking at old beaters, then decided I had enough vehicles with high mileage, so then looked at 2- or 3-yr-old versions, but Toyota. A, say, 2018 with 25K on it was like $2K less than I paid, and didn't have the free scheduled maintenance, full amt of warranty, etc. Seems kind of dumb. So, brand new (which I never ever ever do).

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes indeed. And I started out looking at old beaters, then decided I had enough vehicles with high mileage, so then looked at 2- or 3-yr-old versions, but Toyota. A, say, 2018 with 25K on it was like $2K less than I paid, and didn't have the free scheduled maintenance, full amt of warranty, etc. Seems kind of dumb. So brand new (which I never ever ever do).
There are times when new is less expensive than used. It falls under "Don't confuse how you spend your money with how much money you spend."

TS
JeffB

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Throw 0% financing into the mix, warranty extensions, maintenance plans - yeah. Gotta do the maffs.
Almost all car buying decisions that real people make are financially stupid. No matter how pretty, it’s usually a depreciating asset, which means it’s not really an asset at all. It’s just a tool, a thing.

Starrett squares are really nice, but you can buy 10 Empire squares at the Big Box for 1 Starrett and the Empire versions will work just fine.

Similarly, there probably are enough decent Camrys and Accords under 10k for all of us, and what those cars are capable of would suffice for the vast majority of the running about that we do.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - life requires a bit of indiscriminate whimsy to make it worthwhile. As long as you haven’t been an idiot too often, it’s not going to matter if you very, very occasionally do something that draws a tut-tut from your financial advisor.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw Doug DeMuro's argument as to why this is a bad idea. Makes a lot of sense to me. There's no other understated $90K vehicle for a super-wealthy person to buy, and Toyota is mistaken in thinking those folks will buy the Lexus version.

My wife just bought a used GX (smaller and cheaper Lexus version), so you can see where that pegs us. :ogbiggrin:

A point I think Doug misses is that many new LC buyers will never see the inside of a Toyota dealership. They've got people who take care of such things for them.

For those of us who have to take our own vehicles for service, I do appreciate luxury brands. We've owned Acuras and Infinitis, and now a Lexus in addition to a Toyota.

I spent half a day waiting in a Lexus dealer for the pre-purchase inspection and very much enjoyed the experience vs. a Toyota dealer where that would have been torture. I comfortably worked in a large, nearly empty room next to a grand piano, vs. packed into an undersized waiting room at the Toyota dealer I frequent.

Sponsor