• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange Boot fitting experience--how it should be done(?)

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Downsizing in a plug boot is rarely needed as most downsize, in regular lasted boots, to get a tight fit around foot and ankle, which many times results in the toes jamming the front of the shell and needing some stretching or grinding whereas, a plug boot is so narrow that downsizing is not necessary to get the snug foot and ankle fit desired. So consequently the toe can have it's room and the other boney prominence can be ground to contour the shell to fit properly. At least that's my story and I am sticking to it. haha.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am going to lead with based on my limited and totally subjective experience and observation......

One thing I find with Lange boots is that at room temps (above freezing) they feel softer. Drop that temp to below freezing and they stiffen considerable. Drop into the single digit or below (f scale) and they get rock solid. Try and take off a set of 130's and break an ankle at those temps without warming them up first.

My understand that some brands (Lange) are like this and some brands aren't and are a little more temp stable in plastic flex. Additional, Lange has been this way for long time.

From a skiability stand point, it almost makes sense that this should occur as it "temperature" adjusts the boots flex to the snow hardness conditions. Cold temps hard snow (ice), aggressive responsive boots required, warm temps soft snow, softer forgiving boots required not to over drive the ski. I suspect that this is intential with Langes and why they have such a following provide the fit being equal compared to other brands.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Day one report.

First run, Top to bottom with them buckled.

Figured, why not?

Found out why not because my feet killed. First time skiing since may. No living room break in. :)

7 more runs with them unbuckled, they were great. If anything maybe a bit too stiff, but stance is DIALED. Fit is actually pretty damn good, considering. Will ski them 5-6 more times for short periods and then get them tweaked again, I'm sure.

Not too cold with heaters on first setting in 20-ish degree snow storm.

HORRIBLE to try to get off. Ugh.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Day one report.

First run, Top to bottom with them buckled.

Figured, why not?

Found out why not because my feet killed. First time skiing since may. No living room break in. :)

7 more runs with them unbuckled, they were great. If anything maybe a bit too stiff, but stance is DIALED. Fit is actually pretty damn good, considering. Will ski them 5-6 more times for short periods and then get them tweaked again, I'm sure.

Not too cold with heaters on first setting in 20-ish degree snow storm.

HORRIBLE to try to get off. Ugh.
Typical first day in such a dramatic boot change.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Okay, so more extensive skiing has been done...

Super at high speed when buckled, crappy at low speeds unless unbuckled.

Stance and forefoot is perfect I think, maybe a little nip/tuck in a couple spots but overall pretty great...

Ventured a little off trail and with plated carving skis they are a little stiff. ;) I will give them 2-4 more days and decide whether or not to soften them. It's likely that they will get softened....

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
Okay, so more extensive skiing has been done...

Super at high speed when buckled, crappy at low speeds unless unbuckled.

Stance and forefoot is perfect I think, maybe a little nip/tuck in a couple spots but overall pretty great...

Ventured a little off trail and with plated carving skis they are a little stiff. ;) I will give them 2-4 more days and decide whether or not to soften them. It's likely that they will get softened....

It looks like in the picture you are retiring a pair of Solomon X Max. I had the X130 and tried for a couple of years to get the flex to my liking but to no avail. It just felt like something was always missing. I skied for 15 years on the Flexon Comp and I always wanted the same feel of flex. I live for GS type skiing. I bought the RS 130s and it all came back. Of course it is not the same as the Flexon but it is absolutely the flex I have been searching for. I could just dance on everything. About the third time out the back of my calf muscles woke me up in the middle of the night and I could not walk or get out of bed for at least 30 minutes. I thought there was no way I would be able to ski the next day but I had no problem. Good thing I was in shape, taught me I was using new muscles for flex which is what I wanted. I notched them for a little softer flex about the 3rd time out as per the Starthouse video and everything is perfect. Cut the top of the tongue for the Booster strap to be inside. I carry them to the slopes in a heated bag so they go on like butter. Just bought the RS140 Liner to play with and have a second liner. I did not have a problem with cold even at Stowe but I have a set of heaters standing by! Best boot I have been on in years!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Aside from stiffness (this is a personal based in experience, style and preference), rebound (liveliness and is related to stiffness) again falls under the same criteria.

This leaves fit, comfort, alignment and support as the last items, I group these as while different all are related and great effect how a boot and ski feels. As such IMHO what a boot does is controlled more by this group while the first two (stiffness and rebound) may greatly influence performance, the last group greatly influences the experience. Without a good "experience" a boot no matter how great the performance will not be your boot of choice.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
So first full day on the boots. I had a nice 9 run morning, and then met up with @Philpug for 5 more.

Phil has skied with me quite a bit, he knows how I ski.

This boot has changed my skiing. @Muleski it was about 40 degrees, but even in the morning (20-ish?) I could flex them just fine.

I had them buckled MOST of the afternoon. My skiing has improved tremendously--well, it has to me--and I think to the outward observer, it probably has as well.

Getting the full "boot fit" experience has paid dividends I think in my skiing. I'm tremendously happy with them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jed Peters was skiing these better than he did his old Salomons, was it the boots, or was it the Renouns? Not sure ;). Seriously, it was indeed the boots, Jed is a very strong and powerful skier but is actually pretty light on his skis. He was skiing the Langes much more positively than he did his old boots which were indeed tired.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never had any trouble fitting Langes. Buckle them up real tight and ski. Your foot will eventually deform to fit the boot.

In all seriousness, I survived them but probably did suffer some permanent damage. They were better than the leather boots they replaced though!

Thanks for showing how far we have come.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
So first full day on the boots. I had a nice 9 run morning, and then met up with @Philpug for 5 more.

Phil has skied with me quite a bit, he knows how I ski.

This boot has changed my skiing. @Muleski it was about 40 degrees, but even in the morning (20-ish?) I could flex them just fine.

I had them buckled MOST of the afternoon. My skiing has improved tremendously--well, it has to me--and I think to the outward observer, it probably has as well.

Getting the full "boot fit" experience has paid dividends I think in my skiing. I'm tremendously happy with them.
I had the exact same experience when I went from my Solomon's to the RS 130. Totally changed my skiing, great torsional rigidity and fabulous Flex.

Last edited:
TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Okay, so last weekend @Philpug gave me another mm or so on the right boot and we did a little trimming of the plastic under the 3rd buckle. I think it softened it A LITTLE, but more that it did was make that damn buckle easier to latch.

Boots have been solid, if not perfect, for 3-4 weeks now...I have to say I'm pretty pleased with how they're working out.

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
So I'm skiing my wonderful Lange RS 130 today, skiing well no issues but when I get off the lift I just can't make a slow right turn for anything. Also all my buckles are very lightly buckled a little unusual for me I don't buckle in very tight but I tighten them a little bit but not today they were all barely tight. Went to the lodge and took off my boots when I was done and noticed that both overlaps we're not overlap but we're stuck together. On both boots they had run into each other and the top plastic piece was not over the bottom piece. I was surprised at the performance I lost. I have a heat gun so a little heat on them and I got them back overlapping each other and resting comfortably.

TS
Jed Peters

Jed Peters

Skier
Last few days of skiing have been the first few days of "real" skiing-- I.e. off piste, broken snow, steeps, etc.

VERY impressed with this boot and bootfit. After the first couple hours I can actually keep my boots buckled the entire day...

As for stiffness, I notice no issues with the boots being too stiff at this time...that may change but they feel spot on for me.