• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange cuff differences

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
There's a difference in the cuff design on a Lange plug and a Lange RS 130 consumer boot. On the consumer boot, the underlap extends about an inch higher than the overlap. On the plug, the underlap is only marginally higher than the overlap if not flush with it. Can anyone tell me what the thinking is behind the underlap on the consumer boot?

I'm comparing the short cuff with the regular cuff by the way, ZE versus consumer 130.

Thanks.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
There's a difference in the cuff design on a Lange plug and a Lange RS 130 consumer boot. On the consumer boot, the underlap extends about an inch higher than the overlap. On the plug, the underlap is only marginally higher than the overlap if not flush with it. Can anyone tell me what the thinking is behind the underlap on the consumer boot?

I'm comparing the short cuff with the regular cuff by the way, ZE versus consumer 130.

Thanks.
I would bet that is so that in the plug, the Booster strap or Lange power strap lays directly across the liner tongue, instead of on the underlap. The 130 used to (maybe still does) have a cut line on the inside of the underlap, and I always trim down the underlap so it does not interfere with Booster. Now, as to why Lange thinks the wider underlap makes sense in the first place in the consumer boot, I don't know. Maybe because a non-racer may not have an elasticized power strap or wouldn't adjust their power strap firmly and would be more prone to shin bang with the shorter shell in front of the tongue? Total speculation on my part.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
The 130 used to (maybe still does) have a cut line on the inside of the underlap, and I always trim down the underlap so it does not interfere with Booster.
Yes it does and that's what I'm considering doing. Just learnt from other modifications that Lange do trend to do things for a reason, so just wanted to check if I'd be losing something first.
Thanks.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still use some older Lange RS 130 on non-Gripwalk bindings. I place their buckled strap underneath the overlap of the cuff and on top of the liner. Even though I could see the trimming line on the cuff, I did not trim it because I like a nice neat appearance and was afraid I'd make a mess of it. I do this with all my boots and taught my wife as well because she suffers worse than I do from shin bang.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did not trim it because I like a nice neat appearance and was afraid I'd make a mess of it. I

1654716289612.png

Problem solved.
Way easier than cutting out paper dolls.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer

Thanks.
The World Cup cuff is: 1) much thicker overall and 2) has a 1cm taller overlap (outer portion of cuff wrap).

The commercial RS cuff has a taller underlap (inner portion of cuff wrap) to most likely make up for being thinner, having a lower overlap, lower top-line shaping and trimming potential.

The cuffs are quite different.

Last edited:

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
The World Cup cuff is: 1) much thicker overall and 2) has a 1cm taller overlap (outer portion of cuff wrap).

The commercial RS cuff (most likely) has a taller underlap (inner portion of cuff wrap) to make up for being thinner, having a lower overlap, lower top-line shaping and trimming potential.

The cuffs are quite different.

100% its like comparing apples with hamburgers

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
100% its like comparing apples with hamburgers
Right-o. So if I were to trim it on the consumer boot, would I end up simply with less shell interference with the booster strap, which at present is stuck between tongue and shell, or would I be significantly softening the overall flex by removing it?

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Right-o. So if I were to trim it on the consumer boot, would I end up simply with less shell interference with the booster strap, which at present is stuck between tongue and shell, or would I be significantly softening the overall flex by removing it?
you won't significantly soften the overall boot, but by lowering the cuff you will have a different lever point, if you really don't like it you can always put a plastic shim in to rebuild it to some extent

have you tried doing the booster up first inside the shell BEFORE you clip the cuff up

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
you won't significantly soften the overall boot, but by lowering the cuff you will have a different lever point, if you really don't like it you can always put a plastic shim in to rebuild it to some extent

have you tried doing the booster up first inside the shell BEFORE you clip the cuff up
Yeah, seems to make no difference to where it finishes up, it gets sandwiched.

Thanks for the info.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Don't kill the top buckle. Give the booster strap some room to work.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider

Thanks for the info.
not sure how that is even possible, do the booster up around the liner and then clip the shell over the top, if the booster is getting tangled you are doing something whacky in clipping the shell or something just isn't fitting right

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
then clip the shell over the top
That's what I'm doing. By sandwiched I meant that the strap is between the liner and the shell, as you've described. Just noticed that on the plug, a Booster strap sits above the shell, not under it as on the consumer version. Was considering removing it but wanted to check why Lange had designed it like that first.

Sponsor

Staff online