• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange LX 120 vs Lange LX 130

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP is quite a good bump skier, also skis trees frequently and fluidly.

I am in the market for new boots too. In 50+ years of skiing I've never had a stiff boot, and I've been on a pair of Lange 90 flex for last nine years. I am also interested in more discussion on the tradeoffs in performance between stiff vs. soft boots. I don't race either. I do like to ski bumps, trees, and pow, but at about half the speed and skill of @SCWVA . I do occasionally feel like I'm bottoming-out (mushy) in my 90 flex boots in moments of high exertion, but some of that might be due to their age and wear. I use the same stock liners that came with the boots.
Jim, the answer for you is the same as the answer for anyone: boot fitter. (Note to The Internet: I have skied with Jim a bunch of times.)

Scott's comments are great. I agree with them, fwiw. Doesn't change the core answer.

My most recent pair, from about four (?) years ago, happen to be Lange RX130s. I am 5'7" 140. You know my quirks. I honestly don't think my boot fitter thought too hard about the flex. He probably just figured he could soften them if needed.

Without a great fit and suitable forward lean, these boots would be WAY too stiff for me. As it is, they're awesome (except for the cracks - different thread). Another way to say what Scott and I are both saying is, "if the boot feels way too stiff, it's probably more about your setup than the actual shell stiffness." I know that for me, if I don't have enough forward lean in the boot , or if it's even a little too big, I can't flex it even if it's a 90.

Edit: probably worth adding that if a soft boot worked best for me I'd be on it in a heartbeat. There is no machismo here. I'm on pink skis FFS! LOL.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB and @Tony S thanks for the feedback.

Another indicator is when I flex forward to drive my ski tips and not much happens with the ski, the boot flexes instead of the ski edge really digging in. THIS RINGS TRUE FOR ME ON OCCASION.

After a day of skiing my AT boots (130 flex) with light weight touring liners in the resort, my feet felt like they were worked over and pretty sore. THIS ALSO RINGS TRUE, BUT MY FEET ARE VERY OLD MAN GNARLY/BUNIONY AT THIS POINT,

The answer for you is the same as the answer for anyone: boot fitter. HOPEFULLY, I DO THIS PROCESS CORRECTLY THIS FALL IN UTAH.

TS
SCWVA

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Buy the cheapest boot you can find from this list -

Atomic Hawx Magna
Dalbello Pantera
Nordica Sportmachine
Tecnica Mach1 HV
Salomon S/Pro HD

Buy the cheapest because you'll be buying again soon enough, or you will be wasting good ski time with uncomfortable feet encased in poorly performing ski boots, because you are doing this wrong. If you want to do this correctly, find a good boot fitter that has good inventory. Let them show you the three best boot choices for your foot. If you get past a fourth boots to try on walk out, you are not working with a bootfitter. Getting a leftover is fine (good luck with that this year...) if it is the right boot for your foot. If it isn't it is good money wasted.

You don't need a pair of Stöcklis
You don't need Look Pivot 15 bindings
You don't need a $300 Smith helmet
You don't need Gore Tex 3L clothing
You don't need Hestra gloves
You don't need fancy ski goggles
You don't need a heated bootbag
You don't need to ski at the fanciest 'Ski Resorts'

You DO NEED really well fitted ski boots to get the most out of skiing. You can't get that from a sales bin under a circus tent during a summer sale.

I tried on the Lange LX 120's and then my current boots at the shop. The 120's were too soft and my current boots felt like 140/150's in comparison. Are the 130's were significantly stiffer?

The last two seasons I tried on boots at the shop know to have the best boot fitter (Profit) in the area. All of the boots I tried on including the Technica Mach1 HV and the Nordica Speedmachine, made my feet hurt and I felt like I was still wearing them when I got home. I've been looking for a boots that didn't make my feet feel like they were in vices when I tried them on. Should I be looking for a boot that hurts a little and let the shop mold/bake/push/pull as needed to make them fit?

@JimKenney - AT boots/gear? Man, you've gone to the darkside. :) Next thing I know you'll be hanging at Whitegrass with a flannel shirt smelling like patchouli oil! Hope all is well.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, out of the box, my boots don't work at all. Mark'em, grind'em, punch'em, align'em, proper footbed, and they're like a nice snug driving glove. No pain at all.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last two seasons I tried on boots at the shop know to have the best boot fitter (Profit) in the area.
Not to be too region-conceited, but what is "the area"? If you were outfitting your huskies for a sledding race would you have their harness made in Alabama?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We're out. So are many others. There's just not a load of extra stock floating around. Get what you need. If it's on sale, but the shoe doesn't fit, well,.... there you go. You've been warned. :)

Lange LX130, Nordica Sportmachine 130, and of course the awesome Atomic Prime or Magna 130 S's (Magna is the highest volume)

Sponsor