• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange/Rossi WC plug liner

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Hello,
Got my hands on a pair of Rossignol Hero plug boots. Though they're new, the liner feels VERY flimsy.
The heel pocket seems only to consist of lining + outer layer and does not feel like it's going to last. Wrinkles from it being very thin can be seen in the picture as well as traces of poor gluing.
I would expect that to be the case with a slim race liner, but it does not really conform to the foot that good as it has all of its padding situated in the shin/ankle part.

All in all, I'm a bit disappointed. Has anyone had a similar experience with these liners? What replacement would you recommend?
View attachment 198091

You bought an F1 car and are expecting a SUV seat and suspension. Race lines as others have said are very well made and by design, minimal kit. If this is an issue, you've bought the wrong boot.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I’ve been thinking of getting the Rossi plug boot only to try and see if my foot will heat up in them or not, being a circulation guy my foot is either going to heat up or not sitting in my living room so I can easily return them.
As an outsider looking in it seems that high end rec boots , the shells are somewhat thin and flexible and the liner is thick and does all the work.
In a plug boot the liner is thin and the shell is thick and does all the work.
My Zipfit liner definitely does all the work in my boot now but the opposite is somewhat intriguing.
That + symbol in the Rossi is also a plus for someone who needs some wiggle room.

Plastics aren't known for their R values...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
That’s a good point, it would just be nice if the Zipfits came stock with the flexibility to switch tongues - hopefully in the future they will. I don’t love the idea of asking a shoe repair shop to unsew a $500 liner.

Why not? Pretty simple with the right tool.

James

Out There
Instructor
Though they're new, the liner feels VERY flimsy.
I switched to Dobermann liners years ago once my first Lange wore out. It seemed a smidge beefier, and overall I liked the tongue better, though preferred the horizontal curve of the Lange.
The prob with the old Dobie liner is they put the (enormous/wide) toe seem right near where you might actually need toe space.

I’d be extremely surprised if they have not changed it in the new one. Only like 15 years late.

The Head is also wider.
1CCE84B0-D055-4FD9-A434-E71FA873639B.jpeg

Plenty of wrinkles. Old, past it’s “best by” date. However, because it is thin, it works for recreational skiing. The new ones have the injectable goo in the ankles.

All the zipfit tongues I’ve seen are poor. They have no rigidity to the front reinforcement.
Below the level of an intermediate boot. Talk about ridiculous, for a liner that costs almost as much as that intermediate boot.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I don’t live near a ski town, so I’m unlikely to find a shop who has done this before and would rather not be the guinea pig.

A good cobbler or marine canvas outfit should be able to take care of it better than many ski shops... YMMV.
ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online