• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange RX 120 LV verse RX 130 LV comments?

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
After seven seasons time to retire my RS 130's. Soles are pretty worn down and I could use a touch warmer liner. The reality of booting up in the parking lot and walking everywhere this season has convinced me I need new boots. Also, now late 40's and would appreciate a "bit" more comfort (still ski hard tho).

I've got a pair of RX 120 LV sitting on the floor next to me, via internet deal at just over $300. I understand the molds have been updated but they feel pretty good out of the box. I tried equivalent K2, Nordica and Technica (all 97 last) at a shop and my foot fits Lange all day long, so yay for me. Here comes the BUT - Am I going to miss the 130 flex? My blue RS's, even with the packed out liner, fit like a wetsuit and are so damn precise (and I barely crank the buckles). I recognize the best way to figure this out is to get on the snow, but would appreciate any insight before then, thanks!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well, there have been significant in-line changes to the RX over the years. The new dual core ones certainly have a different feel and different last -- roomier toe box, tighter heel pocket, updated liner. Are you comparing the RX120 LV Dual Core vs the 130 Dual Core? The biggest difference besides the flex in the current run is the upgraded liner in the RX130 compared to the 120.

Reactions: Ron
TS
RodneyBD

RodneyBD

Skier
Ahhh, great to know. Yes - fooling around with a pair of last year's 120 LV dual core, the yellow/black model - stomping around my living room can get a decent sense of updated flex and last. But didn't realize the 130 would have an upgraded liner (this 120 has the dual 3d pro, which I gather has been around a few years).

More to think about, super helpful, thanks!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If you dont need the 130 flex, the price difference could be enough to put you in a truly excellent aftermarket liner like a ZipFit, BootDoc or Intuition.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to clarify, are you moving from an old RS Lange (consumer race boot) to a new dual core RX model, free ride boot? They feel different, as I have tried both. I ski and old RS140 Lange. The RX is less snug, softer flexing, and has a rubber boot board and soles, so much more shock absorbing.

The cold will make a big difference in the flex, as I am sure you know. I think the RX's stay a little softer in the cold, so you will probably miss your old boots. I do think you will gain a lot of comfort and "suspension" with the softer RX's and if you were a bit older, would say you are making a good move. If you still want to charge, or ski very fast, I personally think the RS is a better boot. My opinion is definitely biased by I have always skied in the RS, and only tried on the RX model and walked around in them.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
After seven seasons time to retire my RS 130's. Soles are pretty worn down and I could use a touch warmer liner. The reality of booting up in the parking lot and walking everywhere this season has convinced me I need new boots. Also, now late 40's and would appreciate a "bit" more comfort (still ski hard tho).

I've got a pair of RX 120 LV sitting on the floor next to me, via internet deal at just over $300. I understand the molds have been updated but they feel pretty good out of the box. I tried equivalent K2, Nordica and Technica (all 97 last) at a shop and my foot fits Lange all day long, so yay for me. Here comes the BUT - Am I going to miss the 130 flex? My blue RS's, even with the packed out liner, fit like a wetsuit and are so damn precise (and I barely crank the buckles). I recognize the best way to figure this out is to get on the snow, but would appreciate any insight before then, thanks!
My observation would be I own and ski in both the Lange RX 120, and the Lange RS 130. They’re both a little modified with the 120 having a booster strap and foam liner, and the 130 having a Zipfit liner.

The 130’s are possibly a touch stiffer but to be honest it’s just not that big a deal. I’m not conscious of any difference when I’m actually skiing. Never ever do I find myself thinking I wish I was in the other boots. There’s probably more difference arising from the different liners than the different shells (again, negligible, and barely worth commenting on).

I think you could happily ski the 120. I believe that it’s typically the 130 with a different liner anyway

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Remember softness is forgiveness, stiffness is responsiveness. The biggest factor is what skis you are on. Races skis you’ll likely notice, non race oriented skis maybe not. Finally it also depends on how sensitive you are to changes like this.

TS
RodneyBD

RodneyBD

Skier
Super helpful, thanks to everyone. Great comments, especially re: the liner. Also appreciate the on the snow comparison. And yep, the older RS plastic (PE I think) is like steel in the cold... good for skiing, bad for on/off in the parking lot! I think I'll keep these RX's and try them out this winter. I suppose if I like the shell and want to stiffen it up I can move to an intuition in the future. Think snow!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Good luck -- if you're coming from an RS130 to an RX120 and want to get the most performance out of the boot, I'd consider a Bootdoc or Zipfit liner rather than intuition. If comfort and warmth are key, intuition is a great option.

Sponsor

Staff online