• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange Shadow 120 MV

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
16999297092501338477339840656562.jpg

Just got a pair of mvs in the mail from Europe.

Liners have a later production date. Not sure if they are different, but they feel better than the ones I tried that were too sloppy on the mv 120.

Maybe the liner has a bit more material around the heel. No heel lift with my fat end of day post gym feet. Should work.

LV toebox would be problematic. They go back stateside. Haven't put my footbeds in yet. The big difference on the mv I got today is the toebox.

Cuff feels just as tight as LV. Much different than the 120 MV I had on a month or so ago for an hour. Cuff is tighter, probably the spoiler.
16999302761095698050433958984943.jpg

Only difference in the liners outside the boot is the LV instep is tighter snd the MV pushes out a bit mor above the ankle with a bit more bulk. MV right LV left. Probably no beta anyone can use, but newer mv liner may have more material on ankle zone. Dont know if Lange has or will revamp anything. Could be the power of suggestion.
16999309455658982440684642048549.jpg

Last edited:
TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have tried both the Shadow 120 and 130 in both older versions and new versions. The new 130 fits my narrow heels best, but my 99mm forefeet still work best in the MV.

I have high arches and the obviously requisite high insteps that come with them. The LV actually feels really nice but at my age and experience level, I just don't need that tight of a fit nor do I need the incremental performance that brings.

These are the best-fitting boots I have ever been around and they are impeccably made. Lange hit a homerun with the Shadow.

TS
T

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have tried both the Shadow 120 and 130 in both older versions and new versions. The new 130 fits my narrow heels best, but my 99mm forefeet still work best in the MV.

I have high arches and the obviously requisite high insteps that come with them. The LV actually feels really nice but at my age and experience level, I just don't need that tight of a fit nor do I need the incremental performance that brings.

These are the best-fitting boots I have ever been around and they are impeccably made. Lange hit a homerun with the Shadow.
All this being said, being that I am old and fat, the new BOA boots have some appeal. At my age, it isn't easy bending down to buckle boots or trying to really crank down the buckles. The BOA system seems like a nice alternative for someone like me who won't do much beyond the single black diamond. Both the K2 Recon 130 and Salomon S Pro BOA 130 are really tickling my fancy.

I don't put the BOA boots in the performance category of the Lange Shadow. But for my purpose and comfort, they are definitely in the mix.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Those are neuroma symTom’s. You may need a 6th toe punch, a metpad, and or a heel lift.
Yeah I thought it was a neuroma. Have had heel lifts installed but the pain is still there. My shop also worked on the toe box, pain is still there. Not sure if they did a 6th toe punch as I’ve never heard of that term. I don’t live in ski country. My shop is pretty good but definitely not “America’s Best Bootfitters” level. I will inquire about it though.

Never heard of a metpad. Would definitely like to know a little more.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Metpads separate the metatarsals reducing pressure on the nerves.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I've been skiing in the 130LV for a few days last spring and now two days this season with the stock liner and one with my new Zipfits. My first impression was if you think you need a MV boot, try the LV Shadow. They are snug in the heel pocket without being too tight up front. If it fits you in the heel the forefoot can always be widened a bit to give you the little extra room you need. The zappa can also be ground down a little to gain some roof space.

Overall I've been impressed with the Shadow after being in a Raptor then a Fischer The Curve. Here is my initial review on the Shadow from last spring.

Reactions: BMC

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tried a pair of Shadows LV 130s on in a shop. They fit exceptionally well. I decided to think about it for a few days. A few days later I ordered them. When they arrived, heel grip was fair/poor, especially the right one. Either there are two different liner models floating around or someone with softball sized heels already tried heat molding the ones that I received???

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
ON SNOW UPDATE:
First day of the season
Volkl Blaze 86 (third season)
Lange Shadow 115 LV w/upgraded (not custom) footbeds and the new model Hotronic boot heaters.

My impressions/explanations will not be precise from a technical standpoint - I'm not well versed in proper bootfitting lingo.

To begin with, the Shadow is extremely comfortable (relative to other Lange boots, my RX110 LV specifically).

From the very first turn - and I mean gliding from the parking area to the lift - I noticed a fairly profound difference. The boots engage with the ski with much less movement on my part. This took (will take) some getting used to. The transfer of power from "me-to-ski" was so much quicker than I anticipated that I repeatedly found myself in the back seat. I had to focus on keeping forward and train my brain to expect a more immediate response in initiating turns. In addition, the angle of the boot is more vertical, I think. I'm able to ski in a more upright position which seemed to take some stress off my back. With the quick initiation there was also less stress on my knees; I didn't have to flex the boot as much as I did the RX to get the same turn radius.

I had to do some buckle adjusting to achieve that whole-foot-hugging feeling that I had with the RX. I think there is more room in the toe box than what I'm used to. Unlike my RX, the Shadow is so comfortable I had a hard time gleaning when I had the correct buckle adjustment. On the flat and on the chair the boots felt snug and supportive. This changed once I started down an appreciable pitch. The right boot felt, not "loose," but roomier than I wanted. I had to crank the foot buckles down to the tightest notch before I got the feel I was looking for - particularly the arch buckle. I haven't done a full adjustment yet; I believe I'll be able to do some more tweaking so I'm not dependent on that last notch.

I hope to get back out again on Saturday for Day 3. Now that I know what to expect I'm curious to see how I feel. I had half a mind to throw on my old boots for the sake of comparison, but I'm not sure that is a great idea. I don't want to confuse the brain. :smile:

More to follow . . .

altabrig

Skier
ON SNOW UPDATE:
First day of the season
Volkl Blaze 86 (third season)
Lange Shadow 115 LV w/upgraded (not custom) footbeds and the new model Hotronic boot heaters.

My impressions/explanations will not be precise from a technical standpoint - I'm not well versed in proper bootfitting lingo.

To begin with, the Shadow is extremely comfortable (relative to other Lange boots, my RX110 LV specifically).

From the very first turn - and I mean gliding from the parking area to the lift - I noticed a fairly profound difference. The boots engage with the ski with much less movement on my part. This took (will take) some getting used to. The transfer of power from "me-to-ski" was so much quicker than I anticipated that I repeatedly found myself in the back seat. I had to focus on keeping forward and train my brain to expect a more immediate response in initiating turns. In addition, the angle of the boot is more vertical, I think. I'm able to ski in a more upright position which seemed to take some stress off my back. With the quick initiation there was also less stress on my knees; I didn't have to flex the boot as much as I did the RX to get the same turn radius.

I had to do some buckle adjusting to achieve that whole-foot-hugging feeling that I had with the RX. I think there is more room in the toe box than what I'm used to. Unlike my RX, the Shadow is so comfortable I had a hard time gleaning when I had the correct buckle adjustment. On the flat and on the chair the boots felt snug and supportive. This changed once I started down an appreciable pitch. The right boot felt, not "loose," but roomier than I wanted. I had to crank the foot buckles down to the tightest notch before I got the feel I was looking for - particularly the arch buckle. I haven't done a full adjustment yet; I believe I'll be able to do some more tweaking so I'm not dependent on that last notch.

I hope to get back out again on Saturday for Day 3. Now that I know what to expect I'm curious to see how I feel. I had half a mind to throw on my old boots for the sake of comparison, but I'm not sure that is a great idea. I don't want to confuse the brain. :smile:

More to follow . . .
Making me chomp to get them out and put in some days/weeks of vertical. Been wearing my MVs around the house and they feel as comfortable as the old 102mm super blaster and fr pros. More forefoot room and instep height vs the rx 130. My instep was a bit tight. I dropped in my preferred footbeed and know they are a win. Might not even need the sixth toe punch. The spoiler on the 130mv was a night and day difference over the 120 for my lower calves in the cuff. I needed the spoiler. Great description of your first day in the boots.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think most people that liked the LV fit in the RX will probably be a little disappointed in the shadow LV. On the other hand, if the old LV was a bit tight, the shadow LV feels awesome. I also think that the liners with the newer date stamps on the bottoms fit much better than liners with older dates of manufacture.

altabrig

Skier
^I think this is true based on my experience regarding liners. My block foot didn't go with the LVs, but they almost did which surprised me.

The MV RX was tight on me for reference.

130 Shadow MV with the June build is tight as it should be. The January 120 MV with no spoiler was roomier, but it was also a hot day with no AC in the shop. Not apples to apples.

altabrig

Skier
The most important question wasn't answered: where did you ski???
Indeed. My phone tells me Austria is good now. But 300 vertical will do for a few turns. Just don't say Dubai.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
^I think this is true based on my experience regarding liners. My block foot didn't go with the LVs, but they almost did which surprised me.

The MV RX was tight on me for reference.

130 Shadow MV with the June build is tight as it should be. The January 120 MV with no spoiler was roomier, but it was also a hot day with no AC in the shop. Not apples to apples.
So you’d go from an RX MV to a Shadow LV?

i’m a very tight fit in the RX MV.

altabrig

Skier
So you’d go from an RX MV to a Shadow LV?

i’m a very tight fit in the RX MV.
Yes.

The shadow is better on my instep and forefoot at home. I haven't skied them yet, so they are not proven. But I expect they will be excellent on the downhill.

Rx kinda crushed my instep. My foot was left foot was not well in May at the end of my season last year.

Reactions: BMC

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am reading this thread with interest as I am a Lange RX130 lover. Had the original bright green and white, then the black with green buckles and just purchased the last version steel blue and orange. I knew the RX line was being replaced by the Shadow and was afraid the fit would be different so I jumped on a pair of last year's RX130.

I'll be needing boots again in 3-4 seasons, assuming this last pair of RX's works for me as well as the previous ones. Shadows will be on my short list.

Rick G

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
That is the #1 reason the Lange RX 130 and the Rossi Hi-Speed Pro 130 MV fit me so well is the narrow heel pocket that is synonymous with that last. If the heel pocket on the new Shadow is larger, it will not work for me, meaning I need to snap up one of the above while they're on sale right now!
That is what I did. I was afraid the new ones would not fit me as well.

Rick G

Sponsor