• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Last sizes

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok so after the insanity of getting a pair of new boots this season .. I became obsessed with boot fitting so I bought a couple of pairs of (new) older boots to mess with I then bought a hydraulic boot stretcher a boot oven and punch tool etc .. but my question for the long time boot fitters is are the last widths companies print on the boots actually 98 or 100mm? or is it more of a ball park? because ive had a lot of boots on my feet and some 98s and some 100s feel smaller and wider and (I know they go up with size) but ive mostly been in 26's

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Any time a brand lists a measurement, it's up to you to trust them.

There is no standardization for what constitutes the fit of a "98" or "100"mm boot. If a brand wants to make a boot with a 98mm forefoot width but an instep height of a classic "102"mm category fit or 102mm forefoot width & an instep height of a class "98"mm category, it's up to them. It's up to a brand of how to shape the last, what the toe box dimensions are, what the heel dimensions are, etc. Each brand will have their own opinion on what to do and this why you will get different fitting boots within the same category.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Gotta love the industry "standardization" (or lack thereof). Just like "flex" numbers... 130 what...?

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier

There is no standardization for what constitutes the fit of a "98" or "100"mm boot. If a brand wants to make a boot with a 98mm forefoot width but an instep height of a classic "102"mm category fit or 102mm forefoot width & an instep height of a class "98"mm category, it's up to them. It's up to a brand of how to shape the last, what the toe box dimensions are, what the heel dimensions are, etc. Each brand will have their own opinion on what to do and this why you will get different fitting boots within the same category.
I get that but at the boots widest point is it actually 98 100 etc

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Think of it this way: it's a very good thing for the wide variety of skiers out there that boot lasts aren't all the same shape.

And of course, that's another reason why well-trained fitters are still part of the process.

Widest point could be at different of parts of the foot on different people. So where do you propose to measure in the boot?

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Think of it this way: it's a very good thing for the wide variety of skiers out there that boot lasts aren't all the same shape.

And of course, that's another reason why well-trained fitters are still part of the process.

Widest point could be at different of parts of the foot on different people. So where do you propose to measure in the boot?
ok so each companies stated last width is at different points makes sense and makes sense why the three 98's and four 100's ive been messing with aren't uniform .. welp I have some more experimenting to do haha

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok so after the insanity of getting a pair of new boots this season .. I became obsessed with boot fitting so I bought a couple of pairs of (new) older boots to mess with I then bought a hydraulic boot stretcher a boot oven and punch tool etc .. but my question for the long time boot fitters is are the last widths companies print on the boots actually 98 or 100mm? or is it more of a ball park? because ive had a lot of boots on my feet and some 98s and some 100s feel smaller and wider and (I know they go up with size) but ive mostly been in 26's
I am curious to know what boot fitting tools you bought and where?

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
I am curious to know what boot fitting tools you bought and where?
I got a little hydraulic (stretcher hand powered) a boot oven and a punch tool .. I got the oven and hydraulic tool from blade master and the punch tool from a buddy that works at a shop .. plus I already owned dremels sanders etc I just had to get some different attachments for them

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Like caulk-sealing the shell overlap, filling the toebox with water and throwing the whole thing in a freezer, then taking calipers to the ice block that pops out?
honestly thats not a bad idea lol but then id have to sacrifice a boot opening it up haha .. but I might buy a cheap used pair and cut the top of the clog off leaving just a little sidewall and the boot board

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

Or as we like to say, " there are lies, damned lies, and numbers on boot boxes."

:D

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Piggyback question off last sizing: Is mondo sizing unisex? As in, a 25.5 is a 25.5 period. Or is there a womens 25.5 and a men's 25.5?

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Last. IIRC, the last indicated by the manufacturers for any boot is the last witdh taken at the "reference" size. Which usually is 26.5. Last size then increases 2mm each (full) size up and decreases 2 mm each (full) size down.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
As for size, I do not think there is a 25.5 size for women and 25.5 size for men. 25.5 is 25.5. What change (differ) are all other characteristics of the boot.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Piggyback question off last sizing: Is mondo sizing unisex? As in, a 25.5 is a 25.5 period. Or is there a womens 25.5 and a men's 25.5?

All the same.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Mondopoint = cm length. That’s it.
To be a bit more explicit, it is a measurement of the cm length of a foot that the shell is ostensibly sized to accommodate. The shell interior length is (~2cm?) larger than that, including additional room for a (generally rather spacious) liner.

Sponsor

Staff online