• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah LCC Gondola

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sounds like the gondola advocates are following in the footsteps of the SLC Olympic Organizing Committee. Gotta get the graft, corruption, and profiteering in place before the decision is made.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So silly question, I have a family trip planned to Alta/Snowbird in February. We have rented a Yukon XLT at the airport. Will we have any issues driving to GMD where we are staying in LCC? Pretty sure the rental SUV does not have a Snowflake sticker.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
So silly question, I have a family trip planned to Alta/Snowbird in February. We have rented a Yukon XLT at the airport. Will we have any issues driving to GMD where we are staying in LCC? Pretty sure the rental SUV does not have a Snowflake sticker.
As long as it's actually 4wd and the tires aren't worn out you shouldn't have a problem. If the road is really bad it will be a slow creep anyway.

dovski

Skier
As long as it's actually 4wd and the tires aren't worn out you shouldn't have a problem. If the road is really bad it will be a slow creep anyway.
Ok so double checked and we have Ford Expedition or similar booked at it is 4WD - really wanted the Yukon XL as that has an extra foot of trunk space and we were going to load our bags plus 5 pairs of skis in there. Any suggestions on how we do that in a Ford Expedition with a family of 5.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what are the plans to fix congestions this winter? Anything?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ok so double checked and we have Ford Expedition or similar booked at it is 4WD - really wanted the Yukon XL as that has an extra foot of trunk space and we were going to load our bags plus 5 pairs of skis in there. Any suggestions on how we do that in a Ford Expedition with a family of 5.
If you're staying in LCC i wouldn't sweat it. You only have to do the drive with all of your gear twice. It might be a bit cramped but it's a relatively short drive.

dovski

Skier
If you're staying in LCC i wouldn't sweat it. You only have to do the drive with all of your gear twice. It might be a bit cramped but it's a relatively short drive.
My only challenge will be if everyone wants to bring their POW skis too. Worst case scenario I guess I could send the kids ahead in a taxi and have a quiet drive to Alta with my wife :yahoo:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
So what are the plans to fix congestions this winter? Anything?
Nothing new that I've heard about or am aware of, which means the status quo: on random and rare occasions a UPD officer will be stationed at the mouth of one or both canyons turning vehicles around that don't conform to the traction law. Inconsistent enforcement isn't terribly effective but I guess it's better than nothing.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing new that I've heard about or am aware of, which means the status quo: on random and rare occasions a UPD officer will be stationed at the mouth of one or both canyons turning vehicles around that don't conform to the traction law. Inconsistent enforcement isn't terribly effective but I guess it's better than nothing.

Sigh. It's been a problem for a decade plus. Just reinforcing why I spend so little time up there.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Beautiful video outlining why climbing community opposes UDOT's LCC proposals.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It seems to me that the least costly but still effective solution to alleviate traffic on LCC is to have from 5am to 1pm (or what ever is more appropriate) be uphill traffic for buses and delivery trucks only. Overnight lodge guests arrive by car after 1pm or take the bus. Downhill traffic needs no restrictions. More buses and more parking at the start of LCC would be needed but no major road construction or gondola needed.

Sponsor