• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Le Hockey

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
What does everyone think about the Blackhawks and the Kyle Beach story. I have been a fan of Chicago since the late 60's but that is now on hold until there is a total change of management, including ownership. Just disgusted.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
What does everyone think about the Blackhawks and the Kyle Beach story. I have been a fan of Chicago since the late 60's but that is now on hold until there is a total change of management, including ownership. Just disgusted.
I don't know if there's any acceptable way to think except that the Hawks organization failed completely, nobody in management or coaching should be allowed to work in the NHL again, (looking at Cheveldayoff), and that players (Kane/Toews) are most likely lying about "not knowing".

I'm sure many have made similar comments, but I'm a Bruins fan so I heard this one: Taylor Hall's statement last night re: hockey being an old boys club that needs to change rings pretty true. That said, I don't think much will change.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean..without going into the whole structure of sports and the opportunistic predators who can hide there... They basically were complicit in covering up sexual assault. No excuses, they are not children. These are professionals in charge of large corporations. If one of my staff mentioned this to me, the cops would be there in 3 mins.

Having said all that..look at all the gunk coming out of the woodwork around this subject. USA Gymnastics, NHL Hockey (Sheldon Kennedy).. It happens everywhere but you would hope they would do the right thing. It seems to go back to the winning at all costs mentality. Like, if a player can help you win, you will overlook the "character flaws" that come with the player.

I've heard many things about Quenneville before..great guy..stand-up leader..can get you to the top. Like, how does this fail? What is "character" in terms of hockey? Why was Akim Aliu a "problem player"? Because he spoke truth to power? We had a team smuggling a player across the US border so he could play with the team in OHL. These are 16-20 year old kids. The captain of that team is now the coach of the Leafs. I mean, second chances, I get it. But..the "culture" thing..it's not good. I have a few friends who were drafted into the OHL Jr A program, one a first-rounder, who refused to report because the OHL culture was infantile. It's not a good scene and it's good to look under the hood and talk openly about what's going on.

And I can tell you, right now, there are pro players who are publicly sympathetic but in private are mocking this situation mercilessly.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if there's any acceptable way to think except that the Hawks organization failed completely, nobody in management or coaching should be allowed to work in the NHL again, (looking at Cheveldayoff), and that players (Kane/Toews) are most likely lying about "not knowing".

I'm sure many have made similar comments, but I'm a Bruins fan so I heard this one: Taylor Hall's statement last night re: hockey being an old boys club that needs to change rings pretty true. That said, I don't think much will change.

I was impressed by Hall's comment, actually. "Every culture needs to keep getting better, and hockey's no different. This is a game that's a little bit of what you'd call an old boy's club. ... there needs to be changes." I don't know, it just seemed to be mature, or something. lol. It acknowledged a lot of things in a few words.

But yeah, it's pretty horrifying, this story. I keep wondering what would have happened had it not predated Sandusky/Penn State. (That's just a curious thought, not any justification or excuse or anything else. I just wonder if the Hawks would have been a little better about it.)

And for sure, the culture is not just the old boys club and the locker room/frat boy grossness, but also the stuff that all of us respect and enable: the single-minded drive To Win The Cup. Everything else is secondary. So we all need to examine ourselves, you know? There is a hockey forum where a bunch of Florida Panthers' fans are doing everything they can to excuse Q. Speaking of, yeah, he was the Avs' coach for a while, of course, and I personally know of some really amazing things he did for people and the community behind the scenes. This is all so sad. Humans are frail. He realllllly fucked up. I don't even care if he didn't know the specifics, it doesn't matter, he was completely wrapped up in the Cup. He has kids. How would he feel? And that's not even a rhetorical question ... I honestly feel like some of these guys would be like, "Yeah, ok that sucks, but we will deal with it later" EVEN to their own families.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
good

professional sports are still a workplace, and for a long time, we've been willing to look the other way because *winning*/*talent*.

i don't think this will really change much, but ... hopefully it does a little bit.

I would be *shocked* if Q weren't back in the NHL in a year or two, as a "consultant" with "no direct reports" or something similarly laughable

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
good

professional sports are still a workplace, and for a long time, we've been willing to look the other way because *winning*/*talent*.

i don't think this will really change much, but ... hopefully it does a little bit.

I would be *shocked* if Q weren't back in the NHL in a year or two, as a "consultant" with "no direct reports" or something similarly laughable

I don't know, I think the only reason he would come back is to break Bowman's wins record. He is only a few good seasons behind him. Either do that (as head coach) or just retire. He's 63. Not "old" but why bother....

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I don't know, I think the only reason he would come back is to break Bowman's wins record. He is only a few good seasons behind him. Either do that (as head coach) or just retire. He's 63. Not "old" but why bother....
because he can? idk, $6M/yr is nothing to sneeze at. He can command it, and I think he'll get it. Also ... there doesn't really seem to be much remorse on his side, at least not publicly. I think he'd make the same choice again, and I don't think he believes he did anything wrong. Because the cup.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
$6 million to be a consultant? I don't see that happening (from the teams, I mean).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Looking like the Hurricanes have solved the goal tending issues..

scott43

Skier
Looking like the Hurricanes have solved the goal tending issues..
You're welcome. :ogbiggrin: Reminds me of when we traded Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft... But hey, I like your Canes man..Roddy has them working..they've got mojo..love it. Enjoy. And Freddy deserves it, he's a great goalie.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You're welcome. :ogbiggrin: Reminds me of when we traded Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft... But hey, I like your Canes man..Roddy has them working..they've got mojo..love it. Enjoy. And Freddy deserves it, he's a great goalie.
Yes thanks. My kid's super stoked. Wearing his Canes jerseys around campus in Oklahoma hahahaha..

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid