• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Le Hockey

James

Out There
Instructor
I can’t believe the Rangers won. I missed the first period, but thought Jarry played well in goal. How that last shot by Panarin went in I don’t know. Through two guys.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pulling for the OIlers, because Gretzky!

Did anybody else catch the quick talk during a break in the action yesterday about playoff goals? Gretzky still on top by almost 100 if I caught the right.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can’t believe the Rangers won. I missed the first period, but thought Jarry played well in goal. How that last shot by Panarin went in I don’t know. Through two guys.
Seeing eye puck - it might have gone off letang.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Pulling for the OIlers, because Gretzky!

Did anybody else catch the quick talk during a break in the action yesterday about playoff goals? Gretzky still on top by almost 100 if I caught the right.
His career numbers are unbelievable frankly. Different era but still... He had 96 5+ point games.. Like, imagine that for a minute. Man...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Different era but still...
Yep... definitely a different era. It's kind of amazing how consistent, and a bit low, goal scoring has been in the NHL the last couple of decades. The late 70's through early 90's was quite a bit higher (like a max difference of 60% more if you compare 2005 to 1982).

I suppose the question is one of cause and effect. Was goal scoring up, in part, because of Gretzky? Or was Gretzky scoring a bit more than he would otherwise because goal scoring was up? Probably a bit of both, along with other player changes, team changes, tactics and money changing, etc.

1652709295530.png

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well what’s the history of the two line pass rule?
It existed from 1943 to 2005. They got rid of it and moved the blue lines toward the red line to try to increase offense, with apparently minimal effect (though conceptually, I was a big fan of getting rid of it).

scott43

Skier
There were a few rules changes..in 1956 they changed the power play rule such that the penalized player would return to the ice after a goal. Previously the player had to stay in the box the full 2 mins. This was primarily because the Habs were dominant at that time on the PP. Then the Gretzky Rule in 1985? said that offsetting minors resulted in 5 on 5, not 4 on 4 as the Oilers had so much skill on the 4 on 4. They returned to 4 on 4 in 1992 I believe. I also think the era of the mobile defender changed things..Bobby Orr won the scoring title..that changed the game a fair bit.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
It existed from 1943 to 2005. They got rid of it and moved the blue lines toward the red line to try to increase offense, with apparently minimal effect (though conceptually, I was a big fan of getting rid of it).
fewer whistles are a good thing at least
the stretch pass is a good thing
changes in neutral zone trapping is a good thing
can you imagine more video replays
NHL rules now match better with IIHF and rules in other major leagues around the world, that's a good thing

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Seems weird that they'll stop and watch a replay for offsides before a goal but won't stop and check for penalties when someone is laid out or limping to the bench gushing blood..

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goalie equipment is much larger/safer and the goalies are generally bigger and have much better training. The skaters are bigger and stronger with better training and health techniques, yet the ice is the same size. The trap has slowed the offense and defensive sets have moved shots outside of hot scoring areas. Hockey analytics have also improved and help put more accurate info on the ice. The fourth line used to be fighters and slow skaters. If they got caught against a top 6 line, there was a high chance they were going to give up a goal. Now 4th lines are loaded with fast defensive forwards who will play against the top 6 lines.

It is has been a different game since the 2004 lockout.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...goal scoring has been in the NHL the last couple of decades.

Two opinions from a "not really an expert in the game anymore" guy:

1. For today's level of athleticism, the ice is too small or 5 guys are too many. Nothing better than a 4 on 4 power play!

2. Make the nets bigger so the typical score is 11-8. Watch the money roll in to the NHL as US viewership especially goes through the roof.

scott43

Skier
I don't think they will.. They only recently got everyone on the 200x85 thing... There were some 185x85 rinks around until the last couple of decades. And hockey people are curmudgeonly. Records and all that. I play on Olympic ice from time to time and you do notice the extra space..but honestly, there is a contingent that likes the smaller rink, faster decisions, more contact. So it'll be an uphill battle I think.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Yeah I think the rink should be bigger.
Go to Olympic width but also make it longer. How much longer and where to put the extra length could be a lot of debate.

View attachment 169351
View attachment 169352 www.sportsfeelgoodstories.com/hockey-rink-dimensions-size-diagram/
except that Beijing and the next 3 IIHF worlds (Finland [2022], Russia* [2023], Czechia [2024]) were/will be played on NHL-sized ice. So we're seeing the opposite, an overall reduction in ice size.

*Russia has been stripped of hosting in 2023 but idk that a replacement host has been named