• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Le Hockey

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bizarre game last night. Starts with a goalie helmet off goal (not sure why play wasn't stopped) and ends with a likely 6 men on the ice score in overtime (again not sure how refs missed that).
My son says that both sides were caught changing and both had too many men on the ice. Tampa actually had 7 skaters at the same moment.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My son says that both sides were caught changing and both had too many men on the ice. Tampa actually had 7 skaters at the same moment.
Correct. But I think there is discretion on how it affects the play. Refs either missed it or thought it didn't affect the play

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Yeah, but Tampa's 7 were changing "legally", i.e., when the old skater was within 5 ft of the bench. Kadri came on the ice when the player he was changing for was NOWHERE NEAR the bench.

Again, this happens all the time, but, when the player fresh off the bench joins the rush and scores in SCF OT ... it hits different.

Edit: Refs miss too many men calls all the time. Almost every change on the fly is pretty borderline, and a line change can be chaos anyway. If we want refs to more closely monitor that, we're going to have to be okay with them missing more hooks/trips/cross-checks/interference calls, etc. I'm sure we'll see some sort of "we're going to call more of these in the preseason and first 20 games of the year" next year, when the NHL picks its random points of emphasis, that disappears down the stretch of the regular season and completely disappears come playoffs

scott43

Skier
Yeah, but Tampa's 7 were changing "legally", i.e., when the old skater was within 5 ft of the bench. Kadri came on the ice when the player he was changing for was NOWHERE NEAR the bench.

Again, this happens all the time, but, when the player fresh off the bench joins the rush and scores in SCF OT ... it hits different.
At the end of the day it don't matter. Calls go both ways.
On to game 5.

James

Out There
Instructor
Tampa was more tired in the end. Though CO had one shift that went over 3 min and they entered walking dead mode.

As to the too many men/line change, if that was video reviewed it would probably solve the prob. But then half the goals would be called back and it would take forever. Still, they would learn to not cheat so much.
It would be like getting replay to show being offside by 1 inch on replay. As happened in game 3.

Baseball used to have the double play where the fielder “was in the vicinity” of second base, and didn't actually touch it. Replay stopped all that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Good point. Was it Chase Utley who broke someone’s leg?
That and Buster Posey getting mowed down at home changed those two.
Now, how to get rid of whiny entitled pitcher culture who get all rialed up over ridiculous things like a bat flip. Oohhh…he disrespected me! Joke.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Couldn't the # "on ice" be monitored electronically? :huh:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll let you guys argue the "too many men on the ice" ruling. I'll just say..that was a win that was a champion's statement last night. (I'm not a fan of either team..I'm a Caps fan). To weather the early storm and energy of the Bolts and their crowd and go through a period where they got very few shots off..was impressive. The gradually built their intensity and aggression and started to pile up shots on goal through P3 and OT...it seemed like the math alone was going to lead to them winning the game. They ended up only -2 on shots on goal for the game. Impressive win...seems like they are on the path to the Cup.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If we want to get technical.. It was legal until Walrus got a piece of the puck on the way in to the top of the net.. Once TBL player touched the puck it was illegal as well..

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good point. Was it Chase Utley who broke someone’s leg?
That and Buster Posey getting mowed down at home changed those two.
Now, how to get rid of whiny entitled pitcher culture who get all rialed up over ridiculous things like a bat flip. Oohhh…he disrespected me! Joke.
It was Utley..and, yes,....pitchers are babies. Pitch better and no one will show you up. SMH

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll let you guys argue the "too many men on the ice" ruling. I'll just say..that was a win that was a champion's statement last night. (I'm not a fan of either team..I'm a Caps fan). To weather the early storm and energy of the Bolts and their crowd and go through a period where they got very few shots off..was impressive. The gradually built their intensity and aggression and started to pile up shots on goal through P3 and OT...it seemed like the math alone was going to lead to them winning the game. They ended up only -2 on shots on goal for the game. Impressive win...seems like they are on the path to the Cup.
It was exactly as simple as everyone said. Tampa has to stay out of the box to win. They didn't and they lost.

James

Out There
Instructor
Who will be the team to not follow the playoff beard superstition?
At least coaches don't have to do it or it would be Gandalf vs Merlin.

scott43

Skier
probably TOR, but it'll be impossible to tell
You mean snot mop??? :roflmao:
1656007487474.png