• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Legislative Decree n. 40: Liability Insurance and Alcohol Testing on Italian Slopes

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Pro tip: I used Google Translate to get the English version from these links.

Alcohol testing on ski slopes has been in force since 2022

The Legislative Decree n. 40 of 28 February 2021 introduces, starting from 1 January 2022, the alcohol test on Italian ski slopes. Article 31 of the Legislative Decree briefly equates the provision to alcohol testing for drivers of motor vehicles.

From January compulsory insurance for skiing in Italy

The Legislative Decree n. 40 of February 28, 2021, concerning safety measures in winter sports, article 30 introduced the obligation, starting from January 1, 2022, of third party liability insurance to access the ski slopes.

A lot of the comments say they'll stop skiing in Italy because of these new rules.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It says the ski area must offer to sell the insurance when it sells a ticket. I wonder what the cost is?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Talk is cheap.. I didn't stop playing hockey because I can't have beer in the dressing room anymore..
For certain, people can say anything on the internet. You just dress quicker and head to the brewery, right?

:beercheer:

The responses about not skiing in Italy were on the article on insurance. I mentioned the responses because I was surprised that people would stop skiing because of mandated insurance. They didn't say if it was the principle or the cost, as I recall.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
So it's not just alcohol, it's any intoxicating substance. From my experiences here in Maine and Colorado half the skiers would fail just on marijuana alone, lol. I'll start off by saying I don't think skiers should be drunk or high, but I really don't like the idea of too much government intrusion on our personal lives. It will be interesting to see if they only use this if there is an accident or if someone is over the top intoxicated. As for the insurance, I wonder how much this will cost?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We legalized weed here and now every third car you drive by, someone's burning while driving. LIke..it's still illegal to have open alcohol in a car, where we have very accurate road-side breathalyzers, but you can pretty much smoke weed while driving with no testing to check for intoxication. I suppose they'll catch up one day..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't imagine Italians being over litigious so unfortunately there must have been a compelling reason for this. On the same level, this could be used more as a deterrent or to provide a lawful investigation into bad skier on skier crashes.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I don't imagine Italians being over litigious so unfortunately there must have been a compelling reason for this. On the same level, this could be used more as a deterrent or to provide a lawful investigation into bad skier on skier crashes.
That's what really caught my attention. I'm not for excessive oversight but when you tell your dog to bark, you want to make sure he also has the teeth to back it up.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Caesar tried to enact the same law in 44 BC and it didn't emd well for him.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

You're joking surely. Italy has some of the strongest "law" on skiing offpiste, liability for avalanches etc etc. First with helmet laws etc

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well there's one thing to consider. There's Italy, and then there's South Tyrol. Most of skiing is in South Tyrol though (all Dolomites etc. is there). When it comes to laws and regulations this is something to consider. While such regulations would be something to laugh about and disregard it before breakfast already in Italy, things are much different in South Tyrol where they go by German standards. These two new rules are not only or even main concern, as everything is influenced by this. Laws in Italy are written so that even when you disregard them easily, they still have some influence on the end no matter how easy you take them. So they make much stricter laws, so at least 10% of that is respected and things sort of operate. It works ok elsewhere, but when you then put so strict rules to place, where they follow every single rule letter by letter you get real real problem. And that's where most of us are skiing when we are skiing in Italy. So taking it so easily is not really an option. Down south of Italy sure no big deal, in South Tyrol it's not going to be so easy.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is not the first time this has happened, they lowered the limit on RF exposure which caused the Vatican to have to reduce its Papal broadcast to 8hrs a day, until it moved its transmitters to a private island of the coast of of Italy.

This is what happens people complain excessively and politicians have a stupid knee jerk reaction, just to please the voters. Just remember you get what you ask for.

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
Reality check. This law is because some people (mostly not italians) get blind drunk and wreck stuff and/or hurt other people whilst on ski trips. This law gives the police and easy way to prosecute them.
They have no iterest in harassing you for having 2 litres of wine at lunch and making your way slowly and incompetently around the hill looking for coffee to try and staibilize your ski down off the hill.

Having seen a large russian pinball down a slope, nocking people all over the place. All they could do is deport the guy!

As for insurance, I guess it will be like in france 2-3€ per day, available with your lift pass.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
So the insurance that you can add with the pass is ok?
I’m mystified why non-Euro people don’t get it. Last I looked in Switzerland it was 270 ChF just for a sled to show up. On piste. God knows the off piste issue. Insurance was 4ChF I think? Maybe less.

Maybe people in Europe have other coverage because many don’t get insurance.

Weren’t two guides in Italy prosecuted for the death of a client in an avy just last year?

Sponsor

Staff online