• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LEKI Trigger S Safety System

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I have a bad shoulder so the LEKI Trigger S Safety System looked really nice. I saw a few videos of the safety system releasing pretty easily but not so much that I'd loose them on a lift. I purchased and they arrived today and it's a really nice pole & grip. But the safety aspect doesn't work on either pole. We had 2 of us pulling on the pole and strap and it took 400 pounds of guys everything we had to get it to release and we both went flying when it did. The way it is I would completely dislocate a shoulder before it would release.

Does anyone know if there's an adjustment someplace I'm not finding? Or are both my grips defective? I bought them online so I can't really just stop back in the shop.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m giving your thread a bump since I’m interested in the answer myself. I bought mine after injuring a wrist - and of course never had a bad incident since, so I have no idea if they work. But I experienced the same when trying to get them to release- since I didn’t have another guy I just pulled on them myself and couldn’t get them to snap out. I wonder if there’s a velocity parameter involved, and they only respond with a fast tug, as opposed to steady pull?
It sure is nice to click in easily though, for what it’s worth :)

TS
David

David

Skier
I’m giving your thread a bump since I’m interested in the answer myself. I bought mine after injuring a wrist - and of course never had a bad incident since, so I have no idea if they work. But I experienced the same when trying to get them to release- since I didn’t have another guy I just pulled on them myself and couldn’t get them to snap out. I wonder if there’s a velocity parameter involved, and they only respond with a fast tug, as opposed to steady pull?
It sure is nice to click in easily though, for what it’s worth :)
Yah, in a video ad from Gliech (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) the female skier she pulls it out rather easily. I have Goode carbon piles with a releasable strap that works really slick too that I may go back to if the LEKI doesn't.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I've taken a few falls with them and they released every time exceot once when my whole mitten came off with the pole and strap.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had several falls where my pole got caught on something and it released properly. Curiously, I often have trouble getting them to release at the bottom of the hill even when I am pushing the little button. I assume that mass and acceleration have an influence on releasing.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The release system works nicely on my poles. I think that they take a little breaking in by attaching and releasing the straps before they work perfectly smoothly. Note that the little white ring on the strap starts of round, like an o-ring, but after just a little use is 'deformed' into a shape that more accurately fits the pole's retention system.

James

Out There
Instructor
Good to know another reason not to be held hostage by their proprietary system of bondage wear.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've taken a few falls with them and they released every time exceot once when my whole mitten came off with the pole and strap.

This

I have had several falls where my pole got caught on something and it released properly. Curiously, I often have trouble getting them to release at the bottom of the hill even when I am pushing the little button. I assume that mass and acceleration have an influence on releasing.

And this.

Ski bindings are kinda the same way, right?

Anyway, I think it pays to think of the system as a convenience with safety as a by-product.

TS
David

David

Skier
This

And this.

Ski bindings are kinda the same way, right?

Anyway, I think it pays to think of the system as a convenience with safety as a by-product.
On a good day I can ride our midwest lifts 75 or more times so I don't bother taking my straps off. This grip for me is pure safety. Goode has had a similar release since the early 90's. I may have to stick with them...

TS
David

David

Skier
I found a video where a LEKI rep said and showed the grips are designed to only need 8 foot pounds of pressure for the strap to release. He did it with his thumb. Seriously am I missing something?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Might I just ask, while this is a wonderful thing, relying on a device like this as back up to is good, bur do you wear your straps correctly?

If not you, could increase the release force as you are pulling it into the top of the pole while turning the strap into a noose around your wrist.

Remember in from underneath grab pole and strap, NOT through and grab only pole.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Might I just ask, while this is a wonderful thing, relying on a device like this as back up to is good, bur do you wear your straps correctly?

If not you, could increase the release force as you are pulling it into the top of the pole while turning the strap into a noose around your wrist.

Remember in from underneath grab pole and strap, NOT through and grab only pole.

The LEKI "strap" that comes with the pole is not the usual pole strap that we are accustomed to. It is more of a harness that fits over your hand/wrist. It fits over the glove.

LEKI Strap 01.png
LEKI Strap 02.jpg

LEKI Strap 03.jpg

LEKI also sell gloves with the attachment ring sewn into the purlicue area of the glove. Eliminating the requirement of the harness.

LEKI Glove.png

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You may not have first hand exposure to the Trigger S straps. They're like XC race straps, wraparound with Velcro, yadda yadda. I don't think you CAN put them on wrong.

Edit: parallel post with Grump

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Note that Grump's "green shirt" photo shows the LEKI XC strap and pole, which are slightly different from the alpine setup.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I found a video where a LEKI rep said and showed the grips are designed to only need 8 foot pounds of pressure for the strap to release. He did it with his thumb. Seriously am I missing something?

It's possible your grips are defective. More likely your test doesn't replicate on-slope conditions, as binder points out. Video notwithstanding, you don't want poles releasing at the drop of a hat, believe me.

I'm not sure I can twist out of my bindings, just standing there in the lift corral, but they definitely come off when they need to.

I totally don't have religion about these poles. I like them. Lots of people don't. If you don't, don't waste your time trying to make them fit a mental model.

TS
David

David

Skier

Yes I wear them correctly and my Goode pole straps release as designed. These won't release pulling up (as they do when you push the button) with 2 of us pulling.

TS
David

David

Skier
TS
David

David

Skier
It's possible your grips are defective. More likely your test doesn't replicate on-slope conditions, as binder points out. Video notwithstanding, you don't want poles releasing at the drop of a hat, believe me.

I'm not sure I can twist out of my bindings, just standing there in the lift corral, but they definitely come off when they need to.

I totally don't have religion about these poles. I like them. Lots of people don't. If you don't, don't waste your time trying to make them fit a mental model.

I do like the poles so far. But with a bad shoulder I want to make sure they are working correctly before I risk further injury.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid