• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lemond Zurich, 1999, very little use....Trying to gauge interest and maybe value?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you do an ebay search for Lemond Zurich and check "Completed items" you'll see what others have s old for. Some went for less than list (accepted best offer) but recent sales are as follows: $799, $550, 695, 695, 535 , 695, 550 and a frame for $319

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
If you do an ebay search for Lemond Zurich and check "Completed items" you'll see what others have s old for. Some went for less than list (accepted best offer) but recent sales are as follows: $799, $550, 695, 695, 535 , 695, 550 and a frame for $319

Thanks, Newf. I just began to check those out. In discussing it with MSJr., he suggested a whole bunch of options and then said......to be honest, anybody looking for a bike like that WILL be on eBay, and with great pictures and a solid description, you might do just as well there.

Of course, I would love to have somebody here seriously interested. Funny how things work out. I put a lot of money into it, and BOOM, a few months later, having not ridden the new and improved bike....out of the road game!

Love this frame in white.....always have.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mule, it could be a lot worse. You could have a doctor say “oooo you really should not be on a chair lift”

One thing I have seen in the vintage gear market is that the cherry condition stuff set aside for some reason draws a serious premium.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Mule, it could be a lot worse. You could have a doctor say “oooo you really should not be on a chair lift”

One thing I have seen in the vintage gear market is that the cherry condition stuff set aside for some reason draws a serious premium.

This is true. I have a very simple set up that I devised to wear when riding a chair. My doc was pretty impressed, and I have had a bunch of patrollers take pics of it, ask questions, etc, I'm good with that, and knock on wood, zero issues.

I've also had, luckily, NO issues on a boat, on the water. I'm well equipped there. Though I hope to never use it. Doing different "jobs" on
a sailboat these days. And having had a lifetime of experience there as well.....I'm OK. Not like some "must do" thing!!!!

I think that we might have pulled the plug on road biking around this point in time, anyways. So, it's not a big "loss" to us. At our age, Janet had a lot more fun in eventually acquiring an ebike. So...all good. Thanks.

The only thing that is sort of sad is that I put a lot into setting this Zurich up. I bought in new in 1999, and barely rode it, as the triple {included} was not my thing. When our son said to me: "I think you might really like a compact for riding at......", he gave me a bunch of advice, sourced a lot of parts along with me, and the net result is what you see in the pics. Bike looks great and, IMO, is really well set up.

I think that you either know these bikes, and are a fan, or you aren't. My son and I are huge fans. Steel is real. And 853 is great.

We'll see. I'll likely be heading to eBay, but if somebody here wants to consider a reasonable offer, that would be great.

I'm looking at the used road bike market right now, and t seems like a lot of people are making very crappy purchases in the $1500-2500 range. So at half of that bottom number, or so.......

Guess we'll see. I need to pull all of the details together, clean it up perfectly, take great pics and post....

Thanks all. And no, it's not a $150 bike! Haha.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Muleski, do you have an indoor setup? The bike would be perfect for Zwifting or one of the many indoor alternatives since it fits you well. It could keep you riding safely for fitness—just an idea.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
@Muleski, do you have an indoor setup? The bike would be perfect for Zwifting or one of the many indoor alternatives since it fits you well. It could keep you riding safely for fitness—just an idea.

I don't. I have not contemplated it. I'm 67, and over the years, I have "ridden" an awful lot indoors. Starting with rollers in the 1970's. Have had a lot of trainers. And we are doing some really serious downsizing {which is great!}. We'll have a few homes...but all small. Like 1600 SF and smaller. So the indoor riding will be confined to a Lemond Revmaster, and a Peleton. If my wife loves her Peloton, those might become the "weapon of choice." We'll see. I was on a Revmaster, on our deck, overlooking the ocean the other day. Decent workout for an old guy.

I know it sounds strange, but this is not a huge loss to me. It just isn't. It ends for everybody at some point. I've always planned to ski for a LOT longer than I would ride.

My dad rode until he was about 70, other than in the neighborhood, which continued. That then stopped. He skied a LOT longer.....

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I disagree strongly on all the comments about it being 'out dated' or could be easily updated with 'new' this and that.
It's value is that it is what it was made to be and has NOT been made into either of those things.
If folks want a 'new' bike and all that comes with that then that's what they will buy. Not ruin a great bike from an earlier era.

Cycling so mirrors many people view on skiing equipment. Marketing driven, must update! They need to sell you something else. I ride bike regularly from the 70's, 80's and 90's. They are every bit as much fun as anything made today. They are simply different. Same as skiing. For me it is about having FUN and enjoying the mechanical differences. They are time capsules and I love riding them.

My most recent 'new' bike (they built in'87) I've recently acquired.
87 FAT Chance 1.jpg

She will likely get ridden for this years D2R2 ride. She's a wonderful bike.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Bill, that IS a great bike. An absolute classic. Way back when, I had a close friend who worked almost next to their factory. We were frequent visitors. I have two, and my son does as well. Those, I can ride. Perfect for trails, etc ....Congrats on that acquisition. Like the colors.....

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Bill, that IS a great bike. An absolute classic. Way back when, I had a close friend who worked almost next to their factory. We were frequent visitors. I have two, and my son does as well. Those, I can ride. Perfect for trails, etc ....Congrats on that acquisition. Like the colors.....

Chris Chance builds some great bikes. He learned the basics down in CT with Witcomb USA, with Peter Weigle and Richard Sachs. If you didn't know, Chris is back in the bike business after many years doing other things. Now in Medford, OR.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't. I have not contemplated it. I'm 67, and over the years, I have "ridden" an awful lot indoors. Starting with rollers in the 1970's. Have had a lot of trainers. And we are doing some really serious downsizing {which is great!}. We'll have a few homes...but all small. Like 1600 SF and smaller. So the indoor riding will be confined to a Lemond Revmaster, and a Peleton. If my wife loves her Peloton, those might become the "weapon of choice." We'll see. I was on a Revmaster, on our deck, overlooking the ocean the other day. Decent workout for an old guy.

I know it sounds strange, but this is not a huge loss to me. It just isn't. It ends for everybody at some point. I've always planned to ski for a LOT longer than I would ride.

My dad rode until he was about 70, other than in the neighborhood, which continued. That then stopped. He skied a LOT longer.....
You are well covered for indoor cycling with the Revmaster and Peloton. Nice, keep riding!

Just an FYI, if you ever wanted to do the Zwift thing or the like, all you'd need is power meter pedals to throw on either indoor cycle.

My dad rode outside until around 79. He should have stopped sooner but loved it. Got hit by cars three times after 70. Never his fault, but he lacked situational awareness to watch for cars turning into him. Fortunately just concussions each time, but they took their toll. Unfortunately, he now has balance issues and subsequent falls as a result. He's doing pretty well for 86 because he stayed so active. Probably wouldn't be around otherwise.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I disagree strongly on all the comments about it being 'out dated' or could be easily updated with 'new' this and that.
It's value is that it is what it was made to be and has NOT been made into either of those things.

I seems there is a fine line and dangerous period when things are not yet vintage and lose value. I have a steel road bike, a Condor custom made for me in England in 1981 or so, which has gone from an all Campy 5 speed to a 6,7,8,9, and now 10 speed Japanese mix. I've ridden it alot, and enjoyed it through the "upgrades", but now would like to see it in its former glory. I can't feel too bad though, at the time I was upgrading it I could have picked up a genuine 7-11 Merckx team bike for $495 from a retired pro.

The Fat Chance bike is a good one. I spent a summer in New Hampshire after racing several years in Colorado. I showed up with a chip on my shoulder and a team issue Bridgestone MB-1, thinking I was from the center of the MTB universe. Had my ass kicked ride after ride by local enthusiasts, all riding Wicked Fats.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Muleski
I’m sorry to hear you are out of the road biking game, but I well understand the hazards of road riding on increasingly crowded roads. I am glad to hear you can do other outdoor activities with minimal risk. Your LeMond is beautiful, and for somebody, a keeper. You may recall my quest to rebuild my beloved Serotta, and I LOVE my “new” ride. For the right person, your LeMond could well become somebody’s new love. :)

Steel is real and very special.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Steel is real and very special.

Yep. It sure is, to a lot of experienced riders. I recall your bringing back your bike, and commented on your posts. Great stuff. I have owned a lot of steel bikes over the years. Including some really special ones. A couple team bikes that make their way to me via Ben Serotta, among them. Turns out that I have almost the exact same frame size as one of his "customers."

I've been getting a lot of advice and messages about the Zurich. Nobody here has stepped forward to say "I want that bike!" or to start a conversation, but the predominant comments are pretty consistent and ALL positive. The Zurich was a great value when new, and almost every component that I have replaced is upgraded to DuraAce from Ultegra, as well as new and unused. The wheelset is better. These Rolf red wheels looked pretty neat....and well, they looked pretty neat! It has unused Ultegra pedals.

The message theme has been "DO NOT give that bike away!" I don't intend to. I have had a couple of very serious rider friends weigh in. One has two Zurichs as his rain bikes. He would buy this in a heartbeat, but he needs a bigger frame. He told me that his newest bike is a steel Independent Fabrication SSR. He paid $4K for the frame and fork. He really likes the bike, "but to be 100% honest, the Zurich fits me just as well, maybe better and it rides incredibly well and is just easy on my body, this has me thinking about them...." He owns at least a dozen steel road bikes.

I would love to be able to sell to to somebody who will appreciate it. I put a lot into setting this one up with the compact gruppo and the other new components. Did it right. A friend who ran our LBS until the business tanked {two years ago.....what timing} told me yesterday, while chatting at the dump, that he hoped I'd find a buyer....but an option would be to break it down, sell the frame and fork, and then all of the components. He would hold firm on a healthy price for the frame. White....no paint issues. Looks new. As mush or more than some here may think the entire bike is worth.

We'll see.

I'm also very OK with no longer riding on the road. I spent seven years of my youth living in Switzerland. After we moved back to the USA, a couple of years before I started to drive, my dad drilled it into me that nobody in the states paid any attention to a cyclist...or a motor cyclist. Just not on their radar to be aware of, and respectful of. That sunk in with me. I had one motor cycle accident when a woman T-boned me, pulling out of her driveway. Enough...done with that. And at this point, a car-bike accident could be really painful or worse. Haha! I've had a lot of crashes on bikes....but no collisions.

The good news is that we can do a lot of things....including riding other than on the road, on a road bike the way they are meant to be ridden! Once the market and supply changes {if and when} my wife and I may get ebikes. Adult kids are pushing that one. My wife has NO interest in every riding on the road again. None. And actually, our kids, who are lifelong pretty serious cyclists spend almost no time on the road. Probably ride 5 days a week.....not on the road any more.

So, all OK.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been getting a lot of advice and messages about the Zurich. Nobody here has stepped forward to say "I want that bike!" or to start a conversation, but the predominant comments are pretty consistent and ALL positive. The Zurich was a great value when new, and almost every component that I have replaced is upgraded to DuraAce from Ultegra, as well as new and unused. The wheelset is better. These Rolf red wheels looked pretty neat....and well, they looked pretty neat! It has unused Ultegra pedals.

The message theme has been "DO NOT give that bike away!" I don't intend to. I have had a couple of very serious rider friends weigh in. One has two Zurichs as his rain bikes. He would buy this in a heartbeat, but he needs a bigger frame.

I love Lemond steel frames. I rode a 2000 Tourmalet until the frame broke (still have the frame, getting it fixed is outside the "mad money" budget given it'll need both a dropout and a seatstay tube replaced). My size on a Lemond of that era is a 59 (thus why I didn't say anything about buying yours). The same geometry in the early-to-mid 2000s Jamis Eclipse is a 61cm frame (I have a 2006 Eclipse that replaced the Lemond - its frame is a mix of Reynolds 853 steel and high-modulus carbon).

The non-series compact crank you have is the newer Hollowtech BB type - i.e. the external bearing version rather than the Octalink of old. It's a nice crank that'll never have a shortage of new chainrings (standard 110mm BCD stuff). You certainly put a lot of thought and love into the bike.

I'm sure you'll find a good buyer. This bike is a perfect steel setup for those who appreciate the finer things. It's a clean frame and can handle the most modern 11 and 12-speed stuff without issues. The threaded steerer and 1" fork are not a big issue - there's still quite a following for both. And the recommendation of The Pro's Closet isn't a bad one if you can't find a buyer on eBay or the Pacelines forum. You won't net as much from TPC but they only sell good stuff and they do it quite well.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Thanks for the post, @Rudi Riet.

I have really loved the Lemond 853's.....obviously. My road biking days....on the road....are gone. And that's OK. I have two older all Campy steelies that I am going to keep for now. I actually "went for a ride" this morning, on my trainer, on the deck of our house overlooking the ocean. Not the same, but OK!

I dunno.....there is something about this frame geometry and the 853 that just works for me. And for my son. He's a coach, and he has four....three built up, one in reserve. So this one is moving on.

I bought this, with the triple, and barely rode it. When compacts became a thing, or shortly thereafter, I decided to change the crank to a 50/34, which as you note involved a new bottom bracket. I have a 12-25 cassette on it, and also have a 12-23 brand new in a box. I also upgraded the F&R derailleurs, to DuraAce, and decided to replace the headset with a new DuraAce. Also recabled the bike {Jagwire kevlar}, added new Ultegra pedals, a couple of King cage Ti bottle cages, a Thomson seat post, collar and a NOS Selle Italia Turbomatic 2 saddle. I thing bought some Nitto bars, and a Nitto Pearl 90mm stem {for those reading, those are real high quality Japanese made}.

Last, I removed the awful Rolf wheels. Terrible wheels in our experience. I also bought a new Mavic Aksium wheelset, and mounted 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires. Which seem perfect. Bike has been inside, always.

As I mentioned earlier, I have barely ridden it.....I honestly can't recall if it was three miles, five, or eight!

I agree on the comments on the stem, and fork. Have never had issues on these bikes. At all. I will say that the Nitto stuff is nice....and should be at the price.

Thanks again, I did put a lot of thought and care into the conversion. It's really well sorted out and it's darn near perfect, or will be after I clean it up a bit!

I think I may put an abbreviated post on here...to see if anybody in this community is interested. It could take all sorts of drivetrain combinations.....correct. I'll sell it with the original triple crank, BB, and F7R derailleurs, included....and the extra cassette.

I mentioned it to the guy who owns our LBS. He said: "Lemme think, but I can sell that frame in that size and color...let alone the condition...for $500 anyway of this week and next." Maybe he's making me feel good!

Steel IS real!

Cheers!

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
It’s listed in Ron’s Garage Sale in the PugCycle forums........

Would love to see a Pugger/Talker end up with it.

Great ride.....classic!

Sponsor

Staff online