• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lesser of Two Evils: Protein Powder or Ground Turkey?

Which is more like actual food? Protein powder or ground turkey?

• Protein Powder

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Ground Turkey

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is an ostensibly lovely cavatelli rustica made with ground turkey. "Edible" is about the best I can say for it, despite the good shrooms, the fistful of garden herbs, and more sprinkled on top.

I think the thing is you can't substitute it for beef or pork. (What I did here. Bad.) Instead you build a dish around it that has poultry-level intensity. Think lighter-colored sauces with gentler flavors.

1655597474887.png

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I hate ground turkey. Herself loves it for health reasons. Pink slime. And it's gamey. Even in chili it's tough to hide the flavour. The burgers are awful. Beef is so superior.

Having said all that, I'm sure turkey will keep you alive longer... :roflmao:

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok so .... getting fed up with making the same dinner all the time and well kind of as a cruel joke b/c my family hates turkey (long story - don't get sick with the stomach flu when you are cooking thanksgiving dinner) I made this meatloaf. And you know what? they actually enjoyed eating it and it was pretty tasty!!! I did add a bit more quinoa than the recipe called for. It does get a little weird cooking, but just follow everything in the recipe and it will come out just fine.

I have since made it with bison which was even better ;)

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I find turkey mush is better when you add something to break it up. I've started sauteing peppers and mushrooms to add into the goop to soften it up. Helps a lot

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Time and place for ground turkey, for sure. It isn't a straight up sub for beef or pork. But it can stand up to stronger flavours. Chili with white beans. Or in a curry with chickpeas or lentils and cauliflower. Not ground, but the entire family loved the garlic turkey sausage from Central Fresh Market in Kitchener, ON. If you think the cavatelli warrants a redo, perhaps add a healthy dose of minced garlic to the ground turkey before cooking to give it a little more of a leg to stand on.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
turkey bacon /end discussion

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly what is your beef with the ground turkey in your dish? Is it the texture of the ground turkey, the taste of the turkey, the lack of certain flavors in the dish or a combination/all of the above?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think the thing is you can't substitute it for beef or pork. (What I did here. Bad.) Instead you build a dish around it that has poultry-level intensity. Think lighter-colored sauces with gentler flavors.

*Sups pea protein - thickened bean & fennel stew*

O ya?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am fine with ground turkey but don't put it in burgers, meatloaf, stuffed cabbage or other recipes that were meant for beef and tell me it's the same, it's not.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Has OP done a minestra marita with ground turkey yet? protein powders definitely work for minestra di noci, even if all I have is pecans.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am fine with ground turkey but don't put it in burgers, meatloaf, stuffed cabbage or other recipes that were meant for beef and tell me it's the same, it's not.
…or ground pork.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I, unfortunately, am not allowed beef due to health reasons so I've found ground turkey to be useful, but it certainly is turkey, not beef and needs to be used appropriately. When used in the right situations it is quite yummy.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I, unfortunately, am not allowed beef due to health reasons so I've found ground turkey to be useful, but it certainly is turkey, not beef and needs to be used appropriately. When used in the right situations it is quite yummy.
It is a reasonable substitute when seasoned and cooked properly.