• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lesser of Two Evils: Protein Powder or Ground Turkey?

Which is more like actual food? Protein powder or ground turkey?

• Protein Powder

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Ground Turkey

Votes: 16 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stuffed (red) peppers with bulgur wheat and Italian turkey sausage (instead of ground turkey or beef) are delicious. The bulgur wheat hides the texture issues of the turkey well. Friends don't let friends eat cooked green peppers. Too bitter!

I use a meatball/meatloaf mix of beef, pork, and veal for my meatballs and Bolognese-type sauces , but my wife insists on using ground turkey with the beef instead of pork and veal for her meatloaf. A little lighter in texture and flavor. She also insists on making a white chili with ground turkey that I eat to be polite, but it's not chili.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I wonder what Suomi and Sverige have to say about that, not to mention Osterreich, Deutschland, Espana, Ellada, Magyarorszag, etc. etc.

Does it matter?

They're all adopting Anglo words, expressions and idiom at a rate that's going to leave them without a proper language in ~50 years, just various Anglodialectic forms, similar to the various Indian English dialects.

In other words, I suppose it matters in a political reveal sense - any expressed reaction is evidence that a nationalist identity party is in power.

Friends don't let friends eat cooked green peppers. Too bitter!

Bitter is the gateway to adult taste :) https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-more-likely-tolerate-leafy-greens-180970081/

Coffee, hoppy beers, tonic all prove it. Disclaimer: yes, I grew up eating cooked green peppers.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I wonder what Suomi and Sverige have to say about that, not to mention Osterreich, Deutschland, Espana, Ellada, Magyarorszag, etc. etc.
Turkey went to the UN looking for a name change in English. So it’s official.
Unofficially, we won’t be able to pronounce the new name for 5-10 years. It would’ve helped if they did it back when we were going to convert to the metric system. Because that went over well.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I never expected that protein powder would get any actual votes. The fact that it has cracks me up.
Wondering ... if there was a Food Quirks thread, would you feel like the most well-rounded poster or like you'd found your people?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does it matter?

They're all adopting Anglo words, expressions and idiom at a rate that's going to leave them without a proper language in ~50 years, just various Anglodialectic forms, similar to the various Indian English dialects.

In other words, I suppose it matters in a political reveal sense - any expressed reaction is evidence that a nationalist identity party is in power.

"Indian" English is too ...... English; I prefer Babu English.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
"Indian" English is too ...... English; I prefer Babu English.

Heh. That would make it easier in a lot of ways. No English person would use the word 'trap' to mean "puzzle" or "challenge", for example.

And that's not even going into accent/pitch/enunciation differences. If you saw 'RRR' on Netflix - did the speech of the supposedly-English-colonial characters sound remotely English? Not to these ears.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like to crisp it up and use it as a granola substitute.

Really, I hardly ever buy ground turkey. Our friends left some in our freezer in Maine after staying there. I brought it home and made chili; it came out pretty good. Now I have made turkey chili a few times.

To confess, my mother used to buy the protein powder at the natural food store. I have always liked the weird chocolate malty flavor of powdered milk and whey. Vanilla - no way! Where did the imojis go when I need them?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is an ostensibly lovely cavatelli rustica made with ground turkey. "Edible" is about the best I can say for it, despite the good shrooms, the fistful of garden herbs, and more sprinkled on top.

I think the thing is you can't substitute it for beef or pork. (What I did here. Bad.) Instead you build a dish around it that has poultry-level intensity. Think lighter-colored sauces with gentler flavors.

View attachment 171546

Looks like that would be nice with some squid or scallops instead of turkey.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I did add a bit more quinoa than the recipe called for.
You know there is something wrong when "more quinoa" fixes it.

That said, I have a good recipe for turkey chili where ground turkey really is the right ground meat to use. But be aware there is good ground turkey as well as bad. Ground breast meat is the way to go. Ground miscellaneous is not...

And agree with all others saying that direct swap of ground turkey for something else (been pork etc) is typically no bueno.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My grandmother, lifelong Texan, was a very traditional Southern cook. My grandfather had some normal health issues, mostly heart and hip. He wasn't obese or anything, but when he was in his early 80s, the doctors suggested that he try to eat a slightly lower-fat diet to help out with cholesterol and wear on the hip. My mom gave Grandmother some ideas to help with this, including substituting ground turkey in recipes that called for ground beef. After a few weeks, Mom asked how it was going, and Grandmother replied, "Fine. The turkey's a little dry, though, so I have been adding lard." :huh::roflmao:I think after that, it was like, Oh whatever, he's in his 80s, enjoy the last few years and eat whatever you want.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Heh. That would make it easier in a lot of ways. No English person would use the word 'trap' to mean "puzzle" or "challenge", for example.

And that's not even going into accent/pitch/enunciation differences. If you saw 'RRR' on Netflix - did the speech of the supposedly-English-colonial characters sound remotely English? Not to these ears.
It's a constant battle getting Indian colleagues to write English English in reports etc e.g. write a single sentence describing something clearly rather than a whole paragraph waffling. These are usually very bright kids but naturally Indian English comes out like it's been written by maiden aunt sometime around the reign of Queen Victoria. Our own fault for having an Empire. At least youse guys had the decency to take West Country Quaker dialect and run with it, spellings and all, mixing in a bit of Irish, Dutch, Polish, Italian, Spanish and French.

Sponsor

Staff online