• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Although not ideal from a lesson perspective my wife and my self will be do a road trip style holiday next month with some friends. We're flying into Salt Lake from Australia and are on the Mountain Collective so we'll be doing a couple of days each at Alta, Snowbird, Jackson and Big Sky before catching a plane to Aspen. We fly out of there. This trip is not just about skiing because our friends, while skiers, aren't as avid as we are and we'll be doing tourist stuff in between the skiing. I want to get some lessons for my wife who has never has a lesson in her life (nor have I) but she is quite capable as she can get around most of the mountain including off trail. Although we spend plenty of time on steeper parts of the mountain and in variable snow conditions I have no doubt that technically we are not good skiers at all. A couple of questions -

1. What should she ask for when in a lesson knowing the instructor will only have a couple of lessons with her? Her main objective is to gain confidence at higher speeds (so she can keep up with the kids when we're skiing together). She would also like some tips on how to turn correctly without relying on sliding the back part of the ski too much.
I don't want an instructor to pull her skiing technique apart so that she regresses.

2. Are we best to forget about lessons until we next ski for a longer period in one place?

We find that our skiing advances a bit if we spend time on the hill with accomplished skiers. Our days in Jackson just happen to correspond with The Gathering so we may even tag along to a group there.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Although not ideal from a lesson perspective my wife and my self will be do a road trip style holiday next month with some friends. We're flying into Salt Lake from Australia and are on the Mountain Collective so we'll be doing a couple of days each at Alta, Snowbird, Jackson and Big Sky before catching a plane to Aspen. We fly out of there. This trip is not just about skiing because our friends, while skiers, aren't as avid as we are and we'll be doing tourist stuff in between the skiing. I want to get some lessons for my wife who has never has a lesson in her life (nor have I) but she is quite capable as she can get around most of the mountain including off trail. Although we spend plenty of time on steeper parts of the mountain and in variable snow conditions I have no doubt that technically we are not good skiers at all. A couple of questions -

1. What should she ask for when in a lesson knowing the instructor will only have a couple of lessons with her? Her main objective is to gain confidence at higher speeds (so she can keep up with the kids when we're skiing together). She would also like some tips on how to turn correctly without relying on sliding the back part of the ski too much.
I don't want an instructor to pull her skiing technique apart so that she regresses.

2. Are we best to forget about lessons until we next ski for a longer period in one place?

We find that our skiing advances a bit if we spend time on the hill with accomplished skiers. Our days in Jackson just happen to correspond with The Gathering so we may even tag along to a group there.
That's what she should tell the instructor. A good one will build on the skills that she already possesses vs. trying to rebuild her skiing.
Get the lesson early in the trip. You can ask on the board here for some instructor recommendations.

Question: Why don't you both take the lesson together? If you're planning on a private, you can have more than one person. Could be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for both of you.

TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's what she should tell the instructor. A good one will build on the skills that she already possesses vs. trying to rebuild her skiing.
Get the lesson early in the trip. You can ask on the board here for some instructor recommendations.

Question: Why don't you both take the lesson together? If you're planning on a private, you can have more than one person. Could be a lot of fun and a great learning experience for both of you.

Thanks. We may just both take a lesson together I guess. If a group lesson I assumed we may be put into different groups.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Honestly, just tell the instructor what terrain you are comfortable on and then let them do the rest. Personally, I'm gonna have a pretty good idea of what I need to do as you skate to the lift, and an even better idea after you ski the first twenty feet. I'm gonna let you do a full run before we get into it. I don't think you need to come into this with a plan. Just let the pro be the pro.

Also, what AmyPJ said - you might as well join in. I'm sure there is plenty you could work on and it's probably the same stuff she needs to work on.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Note that you say you don’t want your skiing to regress, which is understandable.

However, any new movement will feel awkward and “wrong” until you adjust to it and rediscover balance. You will feel like you’re skiing “worse”.

I realize you’re on vacation, but if you want your lesson dollars to be effective, you must accept that your skiing will feel “off” for a while afterwards. If it doesn’t, you’re skiing the same way you did before.

TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Honestly, just tell the instructor what terrain you are comfortable on and then let them do the rest. Personally, I'm gonna have a pretty good idea of what I need to do as you skate to the lift, and an even better idea after you ski the first twenty feet. I'm gonna let you do a full run before we get into it. I don't think you need to come into this with a plan. Just let the pro be the pro.

Also, what AmyPJ said - you might as well join in. I'm sure there is plenty you could work on and it's probably the same stuff she needs to work on.

Oh I absolutely know I have plenty to work on!

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMHO:

Things that are hard to change in a short series of lessons:

1. Stance width.

2. Gross flexion and extension pattern.

Things that it's realistic to seek to improve in a short series of lessons:

1. Initiating turns with an assertive, complete release. This is really, really fundamental.

2. Learning to balance fully on the outside ski, and move with it through the turn.

Somewhere between those extremes:

1. Improving upper-lower body separation.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't taken lessons in years and had developed the mindset that at my age, I'm not going to improve much anyway. Then I was skiing with an acquaintance who is an L3 instructor. We dropped into some bumps and I am a really terrible bump skier. She gave me just a nugget of information that completely changed my approach to bumps and my ability to ski bumps. That is the reason I am going to ski week in Taos. A nugget is enough sometimes to get you to the next level. And, next season, if possible - I will be heading to Keystone for a day to take full day private with her.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven't taken lessons in years and had developed the mindset that at my age, I'm not going to improve much anyway. Then I was skiing with an acquaintance who is an L3 instructor. We dropped into some bumps and I am a really terrible bump skier. She gave me just a nugget of information that completely changed my approach to bumps and my ability to ski bumps. That is the reason I am going to ski week in Taos. A nugget is enough sometimes to get you to the next level. And, next season, if possible - I will be heading to Keystone for a day to take full day private with her.

You’re never too old to learn imo, especially when it comes to skiing. Many improvements are very subtle in my experience, yet have a huge effect if you allow and practice it.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
You’re never too old to learn imo, especially when it comes to skiing. Many improvements are very subtle in my experience, yet have a huge effect if you allow and practice it.
I skied very little last season because I was tied to an oxygen concentrator until we could leave Breckenridge, but in the 11 seasons before (age 67-78), my skiing improved significantly, and I skied well enough in 1975 to earn a PSIA level 3 certification.

You really are never too old to improve.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Without seeing your wife ski, I don't think anyone can give you sound advice. That being said, you can reach a better decision point by assessing where your wife balances on her skis. Without proper training, the natural tendency is to focus balance through the heel as we do when standing still. This creates a very inefficient focus for effective development of skills specifically, pressure management along the length of the ski and edging (angulation). IMO this is the reality for a majority the recreational skiers I observe on the slopes and yet, they will all have fond memories of great skiing adventures to look back on.

So if your wife is skiing in the "Back Seat" then you need to have an instructor that understands how to get her to "retrain" and focus her dynamic balance movement patterns to the middle of the foot (through the arch) between the ball of her big toe and the front of the heel. For such a short distance, it can be a significant challenge for many.

If your wife is already center balanced, then the potential for enhanced development of edging, pressure management and rotary skills is substantial which will provide improved ski performance and confidence. So in this case I would seek an instructor that comes from the skill building perspective.

Sounds like a great itinerary, Enjoy!

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Note that you say you don’t want your skiing to regress, which is understandable.

However, any new movement will feel awkward and “wrong” until you adjust to it and rediscover balance. You will feel like you’re skiing “worse”.

I realize you’re on vacation, but if you want your lesson dollars to be effective, you must accept that your skiing will feel “off” for a while afterwards. If it doesn’t, you’re skiing the same way you did before.

Totally agree with this. I also agree that sometimes a little nugget or a small nuanced change can make a big difference. BUT . . . Unless you first resolve in your minds the tension you have set up between 1) wanting to improve, and 2) being worried that change will make you regress, I think I would hold off on spending money on lessons and just enjoy the vacation.

If you do go with lessons - let the pro be the pro and try to be truly open to the changes he or she may suggest.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Two tips - Alta has a really good ski school, IMHO.

Tip 1: If you are quite close in ability level/skill - you'll likely end up together in a weekday afternoon group lesson. If you're far apart in skill level they might try to separate you, but I'm sure if they're not too busy you can ask to stay together.

Tip 2: The afternoon off-trail workshop, especially on weekdays - has a high potential to just be you two and an instructor - who will of course want to go touring off-piste blacks, but - they're still instructors. I love these, you get a whole lot for the money.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid