• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Let’s Talk about guests!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To complement the discussion about guest rooms... Opening your home to guests is very generous and accommodating. While you are making your homes and guests rooms more appealing to those of us who take advantage of you travel: you must have some thoughts about how you would like guests to act while in your home. Short of a wholesale remodel of your home, what type of behavior do you like to see when guests are staying at your home? Feel free to post horror stories or tales of exemplary behavior.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh boy!!
I've really only had two guests that wore out their welcome with us, neither of whom participate on SkiTalk.

I'm sure I'll add some things as we go along but a couple initial thoughts.

• Make yourself at home. I won't wait on you so please feel free to figure out where the coffee cups are, and make sure you know where the whiskey is. In fact, bring me some whiskey. :rocks:
  • I probably won't buy special food for you, but I'm happy to accommodate anything you want special in my fridge or cupboards. Meanwhile, if we have something in our fridge or cupboard, assume that its there to be consumed and help yourself.
  • If we're driving you around or letting you borrow a vehicle, please fill it up with gas.
  • If you want to use the hot tub and you brought a bathingsuit please let me wash it in vinegar to help maintain hot tub chemistry.
  • If you don't like dog hair, you probably shouldn't plan on staying with us.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
  • If you're vegetarian, don't ask if there is a vegan portion of our grill. There is not!

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would never have thought about the bathing suit/hot tub thing. It does make sense. Good thing I am not crazy about hot tubs, because I am painfully shy around naked people. Except for myself of course.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Please don't make me stop at a ski shop at the bottom of the canyon so you can get a $5 discount on your day ticket. You are already saving thousands on lodging, food, rental car, demo skis, etc. Let's just get up there. Oh, and get up early enough that we can actually get a parking spot.

If you put a core shot in the skis I loaned you, at least offer to have it fixed.

Please don't take your food into the living room to eat.

Don't wear a tie-dye shirt to bed. Those stains didn't come out.

Try to let us know ahead of time how much activity you can muster, Mrs. Silverback is pretty high energy and will have reservations to fill all the downtime and more if you let her. If you like to just hang out and read, that's fine but easier to accommodate if we know ahead of time.

Mostly, we like having people stay with us.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Feel free to post ... tales of exemplary behavior.

Odd weather one year resulted in a 4-5" layer of ice on the driveway. A guest and his teenage son went out and broke it up. They even found the tools by themselves. I didn't know they did it until it was done.

Snow shoveling of any kind is always a nice gesture.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Help yourself to anything.

2. Let me know if you use the last of anything -- or close to the last of the TP in your bathroom.

3. Most of our guests mix up a batch of margaritas around 6:30 or so. We'd like you to know that we don't mind this a bit! :ogbiggrin:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If the garbage can in your room needs emptying, do it.
If I am mowing the lawn it would be appreciated if you asked, 'is there anything I can do to help'. Will probably say no, but it is nice to be asked.
If you drink all of our beer or liquor you are welcome to but some more.

If you are a long term guest, don't complain about my field of work. It is putting food in your stomach. (Yes there is a story here I choose not to share)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please don't make me stop at a ski shop at the bottom of the canyon so you can get a $5 discount on your day ticket. You are already saving thousands on lodging, food, rental car, demo skis, etc. Let's just get up there. Oh, and get up early enough that we can actually get a parking spot.

If you put a core shot in the skis I loaned you, at least offer to have it fixed.

Please don't take your food into the living room to eat.

Don't wear a tie-dye shirt to bed. Those stains didn't come out.

Try to let us know ahead of time how much activity you can muster, Mrs. Silverback is pretty high energy and will have reservations to fill all the downtime and more if you let her. If you like to just hang out and read, that's fine but easier to accommodate if we know ahead of time.

Mostly, we like having people stay with us.
I don't mind someone eating in the living room, in fact we often eat in the living room.
I do mind when somene leaves dishes or food wrappers in the guest bedroom.

If you are a long term guest, don't complain about my field of work. It is putting food in your stomach. (Yes there is a story here I choose not to share)
We had something similar happen with someone. He was invited to leave.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fun subject.

Don't walk all over the house with dirty shoes.

Helping to clear the table after dinner or cleanup after a party is a nice gesture.

Throw in a few bucks for the cleaners (we don't use a service in our primary residence). Or cover the bill at a restaurant (my favorite).

Share food and drink. Not necessary if packing lunch for skiing but still welcome.....

Don't fall asleep on the couch before 8 pm. Its just annoying to hear you snore while I am watching the game.

If your feet or body reek please get clean.

VERY IMPORTANT If you are tempted to get in a lovers spat or nag, do it on your own time.

Do carry a few logs of wood inside

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have some friends from the east who frequently fly in for a week or so. When we pick them up at the airport, the first stop we make is the liquor store. The second stop is usually Costco. We eat and drink well while they are here. :D

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have some friends from the east who frequently fly in for a week or so. When we pick them up at the airport, the first stop we make is the liquor store. The second stop is usually Costco. We eat and drink well while they are here. :D
Not true, Costco is on the way to the liquor store. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online