• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Let’s Talk about guests!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In my view, half a day of skiing together is not a big commitment for one person to ski easier terrain because in exchange you are socializing. Other people can have different rules for their guests, but if someone says they want to do a ski weekend with me and stays at my place, I hold them to skiing with me for half a day.

I get the hanging out in the evening part. The guests that led me to imposing this rule spent no time with me over 2 nights and 2 ski days, even in the evening. It was a very off-putting experience and not something I want to happen again. So, everyone here is on notice. :)
Jennifer, did they even call you by your correct name? ;)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ This is 100% reasonable IMO. Since I am more in the scrappy intermediate category, I don’t hold anyone to skiing with me. I do expect them to ski with Bob so he can go places more fun than when he skis with me. However, it’s rare that I can’t find a run to shadow them and meet at the lift.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jennifer, did they even call you by your correct name? ;)

Now that you mention it.... ;)

ETA: I once had scrappy intermediate friends who came in from out of town. My expectations for the day were (1) ski with them wherever they were comfortable and (2) have a hot toddy at the Ritz. We were at the Ritz by 10:30am. Hahahah.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Generally I expect at least one in the party of guests to have some household chore capability and the thoughtfulness to offer to do something around the house at some point during the stay. You don't have to cook, but you should have some idea of what chores or entertainment function you are actually good at. Please don't offer help for something you are terrible at... like the time my BIL volunteered to help cook, but is incapable of peeling an apple... know your limits :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
The guests that led me to imposing this rule spent no time with me over 2 nights and 2 ski days, even in the evening.
Well that’s pretty odd for sure.

How about driveways in snow and guests getting stuck? Anyone have guests blame you?
Fortunately, we’ve never had a guest expect us to get them out, or get all mad at their predicament.

We used to have this issue with one side a ditch, and the driveway having a slight curve plus it’s a hill. It’s very deceptive and if you back out, you’ll likely end up in the ditch. Everyone was warned. They all think since they made it up the long hill for the street, they’ve got it.

One time at night during a snowstorm, some random mini van showed up, google had brought them there. “No, really, we’re not staying in your rental, it’s probably down the street.”

So he backed out, and of course got stuck. Since there were kids involved, I drove them to the house down the street, then brought dad back to wait for the tow truck. It’s not a long driveway. The tough part is maybe 20 yards.
I think that was the start of the 4 tow weekend. One guest got stuck twice, once on the way in, despite having been there before. She managed ok for the weekend until leaving. Just upon exiting and turning, she was distracted by eating her bagel and drove off the road across the street getting stuck. That was a first. At least she laughed about it.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Now that you mention it.... ;)

ETA: I once had scrappy intermediate friends who came in from out of town. My expectations for the day were (1) ski with them wherever they were comfortable and (2) have a hot toddy at the Ritz. We were at the Ritz by 10:30am. Hahahah.
Oh no. That is not me. I ski until I am done for the day and THEN hot toddy. I am nowhere near confident enough to drink while skiing!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh no. That is not me. I ski until I am done for the day and THEN hot toddy. I am nowhere near confident enough to drink while skiing!
I assumed that at 10:30 AM, they WERE done for the day...

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love guests who do not expect me to entertain them.

I am happy to offer a bed (no breakfast) I do not make breakfast but you are welcome to use my kitchen and cook whatever.

I want people to feel comfortable and enjoy themselves. Like Susan, I may or may not be there.

I have had several visits from people on this site and everyone has been super.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Actually, my rules are easy anymore. I don't invite anyone over except my daughter and her intended ever since COVID..

• But if you invite yourself, then feel free to serve yourself.
  • Don't do the dishes as then I'll feel like I have to help you and I don't want to do the dishes right now, I'll do them tomorrow.
  • The dogs live here and they shed big time, deal with it.
  • Make sure you don't let them out. We have an airlock system, utilize it. I shouldn't have to keep running over to close the inner door. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
  • There's actually a sign in my foyer about removing your shoes. There are nice thick socks in a basket on the bench. My husband will say it's okay. It's not.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll add another thing that @Stephen learned this past winter when he was staying with us and I had to take @Philpug to the emergency room for his heart issue.
Stephen had taken our car to Northstar to ski while we were doing other things. I sent him a text saying that I was taking Phil to ER and to entertain himself when he was done skiing. He arrived home in the VW and was greated with excitement from Gypsy, went to his room to take a nap and Gypsy must have forgotten he was there because she was not happy with him being there after he woke up and tried to come out of the room. I guess she was pretty intimidating, which is a bit odd because she and Stephen had been getting along great.
He texted @Andy Mink to come over and get her attention so he could come out of the room. :roflmao:

So, if you're a guest in our house you may want to take some dog treats to your room with you juuuuuust in case you need to make friends with her.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, my rules are easy anymore. I don't invite anyone over except my daughter and her intended ever since COVID..

• But if you invite yourself, then feel free to serve yourself.
  • Don't do the dishes as then I'll feel like I have to help you and I don't want to do the dishes right now, I'll do them tomorrow.
  • The dogs live here and they shed big time, deal with it.
  • Make sure you don't let them out. We have an airlock system, utilize it. I shouldn't have to keep running over to close the inner door. THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
  • There's actually a sign in my foyer about removing your shoes. There are nice thick socks in a basket on the bench. My husband will say it's okay. It's not.
None of this surprises me. Your are scary.