• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Let’s Talk about guests!

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just catching up with this thread.

For us the Costco is directly next to the airport, and it has liquor making it nearly one stop shopping. But somehow we do end up at the liquor store after that for the greater beer selection.

My greatest challenge with guests is how often they want to go out to eat. It gets very expensive considering the regular parade of guests we get in the winter.

We always offer a vehicle to our guests. Rental cars are not really suitable for the roads in winter as they usually come without snow tires and chains, and are just generally no good in the snow. My rule with borrowing our cars is that you are not allowed to bring it back damaged to the point of needing repair. If you crash it, go finish it off so that it is totaled. I don't want to deal with repairs, but am happy to replace it with something shiny. With that said, our guests rarely accept the offer. Even those that get a rental car usually just end up taking the bus to the mountain.

James

Out There
Instructor
Don't complain. "The room's too cold" "The internet is too slow." "We need almond milk for our coffee." "This soap dries my skin and there's no conditioner in the shower." "We need bottled water in the bedroom." etc. My DH's cousin and spouse invited themselves to stay with us for a family event because they didn't want to pay for a hotel. We put them up instead of our kids, (who we put up in a hotel) and then they harangued us like we were a sleazy motel. These are pretty much direct quotes. Will never have them stay with us again!
That is something.
I coulda been a complainah!
Couple years ago we got an airbnb for a night on the way skiing. Somehow, maybe because we were sick of looking, three of us on a call didn’t notice that it was a sixth floor walkup. This was in Lyon, France.
When the person in contact asked if it was really six floors, they got back, “Yes. But don’t worry, my 80 year old mother does it all the time!”

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
My greatest challenge with guests is how often they want to go out to eat. It gets very expensive considering the regular parade of guests we get in the winter.
Wait... so they aren't taking you out for the meal to say thank you for hosting them?

I did just make sure my guest bath was fully stocked with shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial moisturizer, you name it. All unscented. And realized that there was no full length mirror or enough space to hang clothing in the guest room so took care of that. But that was for my parents. Parents got privilege. Mind you, there were still comments on the hand towels and other things. Sigh.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait... so they aren't taking you out for the meal to say thank you for hosting them?

I did just make sure my guest bath was fully stocked with shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facial moisturizer, you name it. All unscented. And realized that there was no full length mirror or enough space to hang clothing in the guest room so took care of that. But that was for my parents. Parents got privilege. Mind you, there were still comments on the hand towels and other things. Sigh.

I get use of a family member’s place in Eagle-Vail. When things are low I do a run for supplies. I regularly replace coffee/filters, shampoo/conditioner, food staples, food storage containers (these disappear so fast!), etc. When I find items that would be useful I buy them. I am so grateful for the use of the place, it’s the least I can do.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are staying at a cottage house in Denver for the OR show and found this note on the front table.

You KNOW that for every rule, there is something that happened to make them say it.
IMG_9805.jpeg

IMG_9806.jpeg

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are constantly amazed by guests. The latest was when a guest fried two electrical circuits trying to charge their Tesla. First in the garage and then plugging it into an outlet in the house.
WOW! How do they not know that?
So, do you have a sign that your home is not suitable for charging a Tesla?

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
we don't have "guests" except close friends and family and I never really consider them guests. They're friends or family :) we have 3 small kids and cats and dogs, I don't have many rules other than enjoy yourself.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And...flipping this around, we don't want to be guests, with occasional family exceptions.
That's us too. we have a couple close friends and family where we're all meshing pretty well, they can tolerate all that comes with us, otherwise we just hotel it. and even then, I vacuum and clean before we leave because of the dog hair. I don't like leaving that for the cleaning staff.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just catching up with this thread.

For us the Costco is directly next to the airport, and it has liquor making it nearly one stop shopping. But somehow we do end up at the liquor store after that for the greater beer selection.

We always offer a vehicle to our guests. Rental cars are not really suitable for the roads in winter as they usually come without snow tires and chains, and are just generally no good in the snow. My rule with borrowing our cars is that you are not allowed to bring it back damaged to the point of needing repair. If you crash it, go finish it off so that it is totaled. I don't want to deal with repairs, but am happy to replace it with something shiny. With that said, our guests rarely accept the offer. Even those that get a rental car usually just end up taking the bus to the mountain.
We have a few guests that come in and the first thing they say, "You will not have to take your wallet out while we are here".

As far as eating out, we have a few standard places we go with out guests, Mexican, Sushi and Chinese. We get asked where is a good steak house, we will say "Right here at Chez Ziggy", lets head to Costco get some steaks.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have a few guests that come in and the first thing they say, "You will not have to take your wallet out while we are here".

As far as eating out, we have a few standard places we go with out guests, Mexican, Sushi and Chinese. We get asked where is a good steak house, we will say "Right here at Chez Ziggy", lets head to Costco get some steaks.
Yeah, that's always been our philosophy. I actually don't stay with friends to save money as much as to catch up, hang out etc. So we just buy groceries/dinners/etc for them. I've found that hospitality comes around and pays off in the long run. We have plenty of places to stay in interesting locations thanks in part to not seeing our friends' homes as free hotels...and vice versa, offering our place as a free house sit when we're on vacation.

James

Out There
Instructor
Guests that think their little dogs are children, and expect you to treat them that way.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Guests that think their little dogs are children, and expect you to treat them that way.
Well, when you come to Chez Ziggy, if you don't want dog hair on your clothes, you should stay off the furniture. ;) But I get where you are coming from.

Sponsor

Staff online