• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's Hear It For The Old Skiers!

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Darrell was an inspiration to many. May he rest in peace. He skied and had a major stroke that evening while taking care of his daughter that is suffering from brain cancer. The story is sad, yet so loving. Maybe he just could not stand to see hid daughter leave before him. Who knows. All we know is he was much loved by many, and skied until his end.
Enjoy the video.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
My Dad is 92 this month. I had a custom wallet made with a quote from the song used in this video. Everytime I hear the song I think of my Father and all he has done for me. What a great video tribute! Thank you for posting that was too cool!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
My Dad is 92 this month. I had a custom wallet made with a quote from the song used in this video. Everytime I hear the song I think of my Father and all he has done for me. What a great video tribute! Thank you for posting that was too cool!
Glad you enjoyed it. Blessing to you and your father.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing! I remember when you posted earlier videos of Darrell, including his lazy boy maneuver sitting on the back of his skis while zooming down the hill at age 90. What a hoot! So it sounds like he was still skiing up until age 94, including earlier on the day of his death. We should all be so lucky. I found a little news report on him: https://centraloregondaily.com/▶-local-ski-legend-and-mt-bachelor-regular-dies-at-94/

Last edited:
TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Thanks for sharing! I remember when you posted earlier videos of Darrell, including his lazy boy maneuver sitting on the back of his skis will zooming down the hill at age 90. What a hoot! So it sounds like he was still skiing up at age 94, including earlier on the day of his death. We should all be so lucky. I found a little news report on him: https://centraloregondaily.com/▶️-local-ski-legend-and-mt-bachelor-regular-dies-at-94/
Yes, nice! They use a bit of my footy there!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a wiki photo of what Darrell did for a living earlier in his life :geek:

1024px-ChokerSetters.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Skiing till 94 wow that is something. We should all set goals for skiing. It is something I do in five year blocks. The photo I use for my icon is my daughter and I skiing on my 70th birthday. The next goal is to ski on my 75th birthday and that could happen by the end of this year.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Thanks for all the nice comments people.
Darrell was one hell of a guy.
Skied until his almost last day. He had the stroke the last day he skied, then died the next night I believe.
Most of us will be lucky to even live as long as he did.
Lots of folks will miss him at Bachelor for sure.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I had a patient in the past who was well into his 80s and skied every day, at least a couple of runs, and biked when the weather was nice. He came to me because his hernias were limiting his activities :) I repaired them for me but I will never forget what he told me. He said he skied with a group of older guys and based on his non scientific study came to a conclusion: For every day you skied you lived 1.5 days longer. So according to his theory if you skied every day you would never die! For all I know he is still going strong.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Love the stories of the lotto winners. Their numbers are small but the passion is huge. Dump my ashes in the snow at the top of the Canyon at Killington so I can hop on board for another run as my friends ski by. Many souls occupy my mountain and we get to ski with them everyday.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Love the stories of the lotto winners. Their numbers are small but the passion is huge. Dump my ashes in the snow at the top of the Canyon at Killington so I can hop on board for another run as my friends ski by. Many souls occupy my mountain and we get to ski with them everyday.
That is great, I use to say dump my ashes off at the top of the "A" lift at Hunter in NY. I have changed location from time to time but it has always been in the great outdoors.