• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's Play a U.S. Game Again - "Find The TDF" ... :(

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It was flawless watching the Giro on GCN w/ Orla, Adam, Dan and Robbie. Wifey and I LOVED their pre show dance warmups on the Insty (Instagram) ! HILARIOUS outtakes! They covered cycling angles and drama that Phil, Bob, Chris and Christian are careful not to touch, or just don't have time to cover. Sean Kelly brings it every time w/ the announcing along w/ his partner whose name escapes me.

Looking for the elusive NBC full TDF broadcast (not the Peacock Streaming version) No detailed schedule announcements on USA or CNBC outside of NBC guiding the viewer to their Streaming service. It's crickets on that. For pple in most areas I'm guessing that a VPN is an option for Euro coverage. For those of us living outside mainstream highspeed internet service, it's not really an option.

My plan: I'm going to wait until the last possible minute to check the schedules of USA and CNBC coverage before possibly defaulting to the Peacock network. I know, I'm whining over $5 but, w/ my DIsh Network I can DVR the TDF and watch fast motion until I get to interesting moments. W/ Streaming, there is no fast motion option, only skipping fwd which means possibly missing moments and scenes of interest like the street art, town performances, agri art and other stuff... yes and crashes!

I kept GCN for this month bec they are scheduled post daily race, to do their excellent " extended highlights" version of the TDF even here in the U.S. They expertly edit the race for you and show anything and everything of interest along w/ commentary. I've yet to verify this so we'll see. Our most successful process for the Giro 2022 was; watch the live show w/ Orla and crew, then watch the extended highlights, then go back to the Orla crew for the end of race summary. That ends up taking up about 2 hrs per night, rather than the requisite 6 -7 hrs per day needed to watch everything. In the morning during yoga before work, I listen to "The Move" podcast (or youtube) w/ Lance, Johan Bruyneel, Hincapie and crew, then "JB2" w/ Johan and JB, then also "La Movida" in Spanish w/ Johan, Victor Hugo Pena and crew for cycling from a Latino perspective. Regardless of how anyone feels about Lance, their shows and honest commentary is groundbreaking and transformative for the sport of cycling.

Only a week or so to go so Have fun!

Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For shiznits and giggles here's the quiver;

=The 80's Trek steel salvage my total rebuild to make it rideable. Big thanks to PowderCoat Bob out of Burlington, VT for the metallic sparkle paint job. Also just upgraded over last 3 days tires to Panaracer Gravelkings and bottm brkt/chainring to Hollowtech II w/ Sora. I wanted to keep it original but the old parts were trashed and wanted more modern 3x front chainring shifting options for these damn hills. Word of advice, hardest part of the entire rebuild was figuring out NOT to use the spacers when using Hollowtech II mtn btm brkt on a road bike w/ 68mm btm brkt shell! Damn that was confusing until I found it on an obscure Shimano PDF. Perfect shifting alignment now!

- "The Beast" : Reynolds 853 29er Hardtail equipped as my commuter.

- Rocky Mtn ETS X 70 All clean and pretty (for once!) w/ Mtn tires removed Gravel Kings installed and ready for VT Lamoille Valley rail trail madness....

- Wifey's Bianchi rebuild - She's in Love! Awaiting Gravel King's w/ today's UPS.

Attachments

• 20220621_133623.jpg
    20220621_133623.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220621_132905.jpg
    20220621_132905.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220621_133013.jpg
    20220621_133013.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220621_132648.jpg
    20220621_132648.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Needs more stuff on the bars.
On the 853:

Phone - " Hi Honey! What's for dinner? Huh!?!? :huh: ...I'm cooking tonight?!?!?... Pizza!!!!! "
Computer - "I gotta get home fast!" or Temp reading - "OMG, it's F'n freezing out here! Gotta pedal faster to warm up!"
Bell - " Get the F' out my way!"
Mirror - " Damn this girl is comn' up on me fast! She's lighting up the trail! "
Headlight Connector - Not present. That gets attached in the fall. "I can see the light!... Sh&$%!! Is that a cow in the road or a moose!?!?"
Flashing red and white attachment lights on each shock tube - " SEE ME and get off your F'n PHONE!!!!! " LMAO
Helmet Headlight - "What are those eyes looking back at me out in that field? Time to pedal faster!" Pick one __ Catamount/VT Mtn Lion __ Bobcat __ Bear __ Coyote __ Deer __ Moose __ Evil Woods Clown
:beercheer: :bikewheelie:

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This thread has made me realise that I haven't owned a Bianchi in this century. Hmmm.

How does the wife like the aero clip pedals? Herself never could get the hang of hers, especially on uphill starts - I switched her Raleigh to MKS quills.

I will also note that these things can also act as inner thumb rests, if spaced properly :D

1655915052123.png

Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This thread has made me realise that I haven't owned a Bianchi in this century. Hmmm.

How does the wife like the aero clip pedals? Herself never could get the hang of hers, especially on uphill starts - I switched her Raleigh to MKS quills.

I will also note that these things can also act as inner thumb rests, if spaced properly :D

View attachment 171846
Hmmm Nice accessory! What's the brand on those?

Wifey LOVES the styling of her pedals! She says they fit her bike shoes no issues. If she didn't like those, they'd be on my bike!!! LOL W/ that 3x chainring, uphill starts are much less of an issue for her. Also Vermont is straight up or straight down so LOTS of uphill start practice. Just mounted her 700c x 28 Gravel King SK's last night. I wanted to go wider but not an option on those older frames w/o bending them. Not worth it when we have other bikes we can use. Her other bike is a vintage Miyata XC. Her Mom used to work for housing, up at my alma mater Dartmouth. The students would leave bikes of all kinds and the employees were allowed to take their pick. That's how we got the Bianchi, Trek and Miyata. They were just sitting in her basement gathering dust!

Know where I can find another set of these? My favs for all kinds of riding but now they are Ghost!!!!!!! GRRRRR!

Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Alp Enduro II Cycling Shoe​

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How does the wife like the aero clip pedals?

Wifey LOVES the styling of her pedals! She says they fit her bike shoes no issues. If she didn't like those, they'd be on my bike!!! LOL W/ that 3x chainring, uphill starts are much less of an issue for her.

Confused. Based on the photo I figured she was using it as a trainer, lying on her back in the family room or whatever. No uphill starts there!

EDIT: I do think you need some tomato red bar tape to go with the pedal straps.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any comments on the "Rock, Paper, Scissors" stage in the Slovenia tour? I wonder if @Primoz got to watch it live? Wifey and I are starting to research Slovenia for our next Euro trip! :beercheer:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hmmm Nice accessory! What's the brand on those?

Wifey LOVES the styling of her pedals! She says they fit her bike shoes no issues. If she didn't like those, they'd be on my bike!!! LOL W/ that 3x chainring, uphill starts are much less of an issue for her.

I'm impressed that you even found her a set of groove cleats.

EDIT: I do think you need some tomato red bar tape to go with the pedal straps.

You don't like the thought of a red-trimmed chrome frame pump to go on that pump peg?

The steel Elite Ciussi bottle cages with the red buttons would also look good on that frame.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Sepp Kuss’s parents are neighbors. I’ll find out what thirst game plan is. I know that they get up at some crazy hour every day during the Tour to watch.

I do like the coverage that is posted on YouTube (by NBC?). I get the highlights in 20 minutes.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Know where I can find another set of these? My favs for all kinds of riding but now they are Ghost!!!!!!! GRRRRR!

Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Alp Enduro II Cycling Shoe​

Great shoes. I've got one level racier version, and they cannot be killed.

Pearl seems to have moved out of that market space, from the shoes offered on their website.

Yo Momma Quote: Wifey and I are starting to research Slovenia for our next Euro trip! :beercheer:

Same. Friends guide over there and rave. Dolomites next summer for me, Slovenia or similar after that.

As far as TDF, sticking with whatever Dish offers -- looks like USA and CNBC? -- due to exactly what you pointed out: set it at 4x and wait for fireworks.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Yo Momma we currently cruising around Finland, and will be doing it for another 2-3 weeks, so Tour of Slovenia, was non-existing event for me :) So no idea what was happening or what should be happening on that race :)
But if you, or anyone else (@Tom K. ;) ) would need any info about Slovenia, let me know, and I will do my best to help with any questions you would have. I can't promise I would know every answer, but I will do my best :)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
For network coverage, looks like USA is the place to be, except for stages 12/13.
Peacock will almost certainly be better overall.

NBC-owned USA Network will cover the race live on TV, with the exception being stages 12 and 13 which will be tape delayed. NBC will also air stages 2 and 20. The NBC-owned Peacock online streaming service will be carrying the race live in the U.S. through the full 21 stages.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But if you, or anyone else (@Tom K. ;) ) would need any info about Slovenia, let me know, and I will do my best to help with any questions you would have. I can't promise I would know every answer, but I will do my best :)

Thanks. I've got one critical question: What is the best time for you to show me around on road or mountain bikes?! :ogbiggrin:

I'd happily cover your meals and espressos........:geek:

On a more serious note, does anybody have any leads for FREE websites to read up on the TDF? Both Velonews and Cycling News have gone the pay route. I've got no beef with their decision to do so, but I really am not into reading about bike racing except during July......

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. I've got one critical question: What is the best time for you to show me around on road or mountain bikes?! :ogbiggrin:

I'd happily cover your meals and espressos........:geek:

On a more serious note, does anybody have any leads for FREE websites to read up on the TDF? Both Velonews and Cycling News have gone the pay route. I've got no beef with their decision to do so, but I really am not into reading about bike racing except during July......
The Move podcasts and here for the best read: https://inrng.com/

I learned about this site from a comment by George Hincapie. In depth, thorough coverage that is better than both Velo & Cycling News.

Sponsor

Staff online