• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's see your Pole Quiver.. (Ummm no pun intended)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So, I started with setting aside some older poles that sort of match my retro skis then got carried away because I can't walk away from a $5.00 pair of poles at the thrift shop. I now have different poles for almost every pair of skis in my quiver. Some are for function, breakaway straps on poles for skiing trees, shorter poles that go with my bump skis. Most are just similar colors to particular skis in the quiver..

Up until last season I used the same pair of poles for everything since 1982. They're still in great shape too. Got some carbons for $5.00 and moved to those last season. Then, well... full on GEEK!

Ski Poles.jpg

How many do you have, and use?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
- Liljedahl bamboo compact basket
- Scott S4
- Scott T2 carbon w. LEKI Deep Powder baskets
- Kazama SL
- Swix SG
- Swix classic
- Swix skate

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Some Kermas that the kids got at a garage sale.
My original Barrecrafters, sans one basket.
My current Scotts with old grips. The only ones I actually use.
The survivor of the Scotts that donated the grips after its companion broke.

pole quiver.JPG

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I have about 15 pairs mostly from Ski Patrol ski swaps. Most were about $5. Most I ever spent, even
for new was $20.

One problem was few normal length ones showed up - They were 4 to 8 inches too long..
One night I sat down with a pipe cutter and a large bench vise and cut them all down to my length.

Trick: dunk the grips in hot water a few minutes and the grips turn soft and slide right off !

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice. I need one of those racks. I do have some shop ski racks, though. ;)

The problem continues to be where to put them, though.
I have my poles hanging on the tips of the skis they best match up with.. Skis are tucked away in various corners of the house... 6 pairs sub 85mm (main quiver) stashed behind a corner cabinet in the kitchen, 2 pairs of fatter skis and tele rig in the bedroom closet, 3 retro pairs in the corner of the living room by the front door behind the coat rack sort of displayed but in an inconspicuous way.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
pole quiver.jpg

This is what I found behind the furnace after my husband passed away....Don't know why they were there. Anyways the good stuff went to a group called Teens on Edge that a friend is running..

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pole quiver? Really? Well, okay, I'll play:
E1893630-BED5-4E65-9AC6-8A83AD5D2C06_zpscxenwwdq.jpg

L to R: Scott beaters for work, some Icelantic freebies I picked up when a shop closed down that might be useful some day, DPS Nori everyday touring, Whippets for scary touring and a BD Traverse for when I think I only need 1 Whippet, BD carbons that I got when the next ones, Kerma Carbons, seemed to disappear, the Kerma Carbons that I finally found in a friend's rack, and some old Chouinards that I keep for sentimental reasons.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Added a pair of Scott Classics that came with a $9.99 pair of Ten Eighty's from Goodwill Sunday.
WP_20160605_001.jpg

Weird that these bindings are on a plate, Dynastar plate. Skis are barely used with only a couple dings behind the heels from stomping them off. Bindings look more worn so perhaps the original mount was removed, plate and Pivot 10s added on plate due to mounting point hole conflicts. But hey, ten bucks.. Makes a nice loaner pair even if I never ski them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^that is a nice find, polewise. Does it say T2 on the shaft? The CF layup on those was actually better than the later tapered-shaft units.

And the plate is not terrifically surprising; back around '00 we were skiing fatter skis with up to 10mm plates; and we were also trying to avoid walking out of the bindings on softer skis - a plate being a reliable workaround.

Goodwill here are being retarded - I mean $80 for ancient womens' Pilots? $60 for Line Pivogys?
Bwahahaha. No.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^that is a nice find, polewise. Does it say T2 on the shaft? The CF layup on those was actually better than the later tapered-shaft units.

And the plate is not terrifically surprising; back around '00 we were skiing fatter skis with up to 10mm plates; and we were also trying to avoid walking out of the bindings on softer skis - a plate being a reliable workaround.
No T-2 on the poles, just Scott Classic.. and some bs about innovation..

Plate may have been some lift to prevent the brake grabs landing switch on mushy snow.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
pole quiv.jpg

Pretty simple....

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also pretty simple. Two pair of Volkl Phantasticks, one green, the other blue. Shamora and I both use the same length of pole, so we can switch off or mix and match.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 20

Sponsor