• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk about airbag backpacks

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Slim no idea. I have been thinking about this already when I saw it, but didn't find any logical use for it, so I just stop bothering :) It's there and maybe one day I will figure out what to use it for, but for now, I didn't yet.

TS
B

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can't tell which way it's oriented, but my guess is that the loop is to hold either the handle of a shovel, or a folded up probe, to keep it out of the way. Could that be it?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That would be my guess
I can't tell which way it's oriented, but my guess is that the loop is to hold either the handle of a shovel, or a folded up probe, to keep it out of the way. Could that be it?

or possibly routing for a hydration tube?

Or clip some biners on and store all your pocket weasels in your pack rather than your pockets?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. This is inside the main compartmen, not the safety gear compartment, which has dedicated sleeves for shovel shaft and probe (and which are labeled with an icon).
It would also be way to wide.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That would be my guess

or possibly routing for a hydration tube?

Or clip some biners on and store all your pocket weasels in your pack rather than your pockets?
Defintely not hydration hose, it’s big enough to fit your fist, heavy webbing doubled up , and there is no exit or internal clip or sleeve for the bladder or hose.

it does indeed look like a gear loop for climbing gear, but why I would need one on the inside of my pack, I can not imagine. I have seen crag climbing packs that had something like that: rows of internal gear loops, then the pack opens up like a suitcase, and your rack is all laid out there nicely organized, but this is only one, plus your other gear would tangle with climbing hardwear clipped to that loop.

Last edited:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@SBrown , @Primoz or @jmeb or anyone else who has knowledge of the Scott packs, can you tell me what this loop inside the pack is supposed to be used for?
I think it’s to hold a bottle.
D355C890-F498-4F65-902F-1235C31E553B.jpeg
But what do I know, I’m just some guy on the Internet.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Drahtguy Kevin , that was one I had considered too, since my Osprey ski pack has a sleeve for a bottle.
does it work for you?

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Drahtguy Kevin , that was one I had considered too, since my Osprey ski pack has a sleeve for a bottle.
does it work for you?
Yes, when I use it. Mostly I carry a collapsible water container. I also attached a small carabiner to that loop and have a small bag of necessities attached that I can yank out without having to dig in the pack.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I have been using a BCA float 32 since 3/4 years. Currently on hold as I have to concentrate on skiing onpiste technique and race (technique and training) which is more than plenty...
I like the size. Good enough to contain the compressed air bottle, spare underwear and socks, spare goggles/sunglasses, spaee gloves emergency kit, skins, probe and shovel, collapsable 2lt water bladder or a one liter water bottle, a small thermo bottle with hot tea, food, a multitool and duct tape, topo map, compass, beacon spare batteries...

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hydration tube is in my mind total no go with Scott/Alpride backpack (and most likely any other one except ABS). All these backpack inflate from top of the backpack, so having hydration tube over that part of the backpack (and there's (almost) no other way to get it to your shoulder strap) would make issues if airbag would need to inflate. There is actually one way, but it's too complicated to use it regularly. You can move activation handle from left to right so there's hole and chance to route tube to strap without activation handle, but as I wrote, it's just too complicated to use it daily, so I just use excuse to drink to get some rest, as I need to take backpack down, get bottle out drink and put everything back in. I'm not racing, so extra 10min for all the drinks combined on 5h tour won't kill anyone :) For racing, I guess airbag is not optimal backpack anyway :)

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
The BCA Float has the passage for the hydration tube in the shoulder strap, and passes "underneath" all the airbag stuff...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And my Mammut PAS(protection) has the airbag in the top of the pack and in the shoulder straps, it has an opening for the hose on the side(next to where the shoulder strap attaches to the pack), and then small loops on the side of the shoulder strap to route it along.

However, due to freezing, I don’t use a hydration system (very often) while skiing.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@SBrown , @Primoz or @jmeb or anyone else who has knowledge of the Scott packs, can you tell me what this loop inside the pack is supposed to be used for?

View attachment 157152

Just got out of a hut in BC for a week. We had 3 of these packs (two 40s and a 30). Between 8 skiers and two guides we had zero obvious guesses except the potential for organization. Guide used it to clip his rope to.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Maybe to hang the pack with all compartments open for drying.
That’s what I’d use it for :huh:
1643549931214.jpeg

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Or maybe they planned to put it on outside on bottom, as proper attachment for ice axes, but then some genius decided they will rather invent something really awesome, and they went with that (which noone tested enough to see there's not a slightest chance it would work and it normally takes less then 10m to lose both ice axes) into production, but were left with some extra loops, so they put them inside for people to wonder what the hell they are for :roflmao:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Primoz , well that answers how that ice ax carry works. Indeed strange, it’s not like there aren’t any existing systems for mountaineering axes or technical ice tools that work well.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As my previous post made clear, we have switched to electronic packs for easier air travel in the US.
So, our Mammut compressed air packs are up for sale.

IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1151.JPG

James

Out There
Instructor
Do North America and Europe use different canisters? You’d have to have both if you’re skiing both regions?

Sponsor

Staff online