• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any suggestions for a less expensive alternatives?
How much less? I like Green Spot, which is around $60 at the NH Outlet, so not much cheaper than Redbreast 12 (I think that is around $70). Perhaps Jameson Black Barrel (step up from standard) at around $35. Recently had a bottle of Writer's Tears as well (around $40). That was pretty decent.

Abubob

Booting up
Skier
Redbreast is around $60ish. KNAPPOGUE CASTLE #12 is really good too and around $45
Steps down would be Jameson, Bushmill.
Redbreast in NH is about $80. I'll give Knappogue a try. I knew a guy that wouldn't drink anything other than Jameson. Of course he was Irish ... and from Boston so I figured he was just ... stuck.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had a birthday recently and treated myself to a dram (or two) from the reserved-for-special-occasions row on the shelf.
When it’s empty, you should fill it back up with Wild Turkey, serve it to guests, and snicker when they ooh and aah and describe it as the best whiskey they’ve ever had. ogwink

(And I suppose if you like those guests, you should have a second, authentic bottle for them to taste after you reveal the joke)

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just put Weller in it. Almost the same formula.
Almost. As in they come from the same mashbill. After that, a number of changes happen in barreling, aging, bottling, etc. But yes, they are more similar than dissimilar. The recipe for "poor man's Pappy" involves mixing Weller 12, Weller 107, and Weller Special Reserve. Ironically, though, none of those Weller bottles are particularly available or affordable either.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Almost. As in they come from the same mashbill. After that, a number of changes happen in barreling, aging, bottling, etc. But yes, they are more similar than dissimilar. The recipe for "poor man's Pappy" involves mixing Weller 12, Weller 107, and Weller Special Reserve. Ironically, though, none of those Weller bottles are particularly available or affordable either.
I've read it's only the Weller 12 and 107. I have both bottles but haven't made a poor man yet.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've read it's only the Weller 12 and 107. I have both bottles but haven't made a poor man yet.
You may be right. Perhaps worth trying for one glass. But I think the 12 is plenty good enough on its own (haven't tried the 107).

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You may be right. Perhaps worth trying for one glass. But I think the 12 is plenty good enough on its own (haven't tried the 107).
Both are good enough on their own, which is why I haven't bothered with the PMP. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

I've had PVW 20 year. My thought was that it was pretty good but no where near worth the hype or the secondary price tag.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've had PVW 20 year. My thought was that it was pretty good but no where near worth the hype or the secondary price tag.
Absolutely agree. I've had the 10, 12, and 15. I didn't particularly care for the 12, but the other two were great. Just not worth the exorbitant secondary markup, to me anyway. If I could find a bottle anywhere close to retail, I'd happily add one to my collection. But when I start venturing into the indulgence, not-drinking-this-everyday price range, I've been more interested in some of the small batch offerings from Whistlepig.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Correct Poor Man's Pappy is 12 and OWA (107). The only think WSR should be mixed with is coke.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Absolutely agree. I've had the 10, 12, and 15. I didn't particularly care for the 12, but the other two were great. Just not worth the exorbitant secondary markup, to me anyway. If I could find a bottle anywhere close to retail, I'd happily add one to my collection. But when I start venturing into the indulgence, not-drinking-this-everyday price range, I've been more interested in some of the small batch offerings from Whistlepig.
I paid retail for my Pappy. Besides that 15 I have a 20 and a 12, all retail. I’m on good terms with my LLS.

If we want to get all nerdy, that bottle in the pic is from 2009, the last year they used all Stitzel-Weller juice. Special occasion stuff.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I paid retail for my Pappy. Besides that 15 I have a 20 and a 12, all retail. I’m on good terms with my LLS.

If we want to get all nerdy, that bottle in the pic is from 2009, the last year they used all Stitzel-Weller juice. Special occasion stuff.
You're a lucky man. I'd pay retail all day long for those bottles, just not secondary.

Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
You're a luck man. I'd pay retail all day long for those bottles, just not secondary.
I second that. I've seen the 15 in a few shops here in NYC, but for the price they want, I could buy two new pairs of Stocklis and still have some left over for drinks in the lodge.