• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
If you want a good but not too pretentious scotch...
I wouldn’t mind being a little bit pretentious. I mean, I live in SoCal: home of Botox, spray-tan, and the 3-year Mercedes lease. None of which I have, well... maybe the occasional spray tan.

Fun fact: a proviso was included in my rental agreement for a ski chalet a few years back holding me responsible for cleaning fees and damage caused by fake tanning products. Apparently spray tan is a big no-no in the hot tub.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I wouldn’t mind being a little bit pretentious. I mean, I live in SoCal: home of Botox, spray-tan, and the 3-year Mercedes lease. None of which I have, well... maybe the occasional spray tan.

Fun fact: a proviso was included in my rental agreement for a ski chalet a few years back holding me responsible for cleaning fees and damage caused by fake tanning products. Apparently spray tan is a big no-no in the hot tub.
Well if pretentious is what you want JW Green Label instead of the Black Label, but it may be a little more difficult to find. If the Green Label is not good enough you can get the Blue Label.

dave-o

Booting up
Skier
Need advice for a whisky: I know very little of whiskey/bourbon/Scotch but am often sent to the market whilst on ski trips with little guidance from the whisky drinkers in my group. What would you recommend as a safe bet everyone enjoys and is mass-produced enough to be commonly found in stores across the Rockies/Sierras? Something expensive enough so I don’t look like a miser, yet good value so I’m not wasting too much money on something I will likely not drink. Oh the stress of choosing bottle. Thank you :)

Had a think about this... I'm no expert...but I don't think whisk(e)y aficionados would grumble at these...
Bourbon, I'm liking Woodford, Makersmark (orig) and Jack D legacy edition 2.
Single malt scotch, Glenfiddich 12 year, Highland Park Viking honour 12 year.
Blended scotch, as Uncle A says JW black or green.

All are mellow, smooove, won't break the bank and will keep for ages!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had a think about this... I'm no expert...but I don't think whisk(e)y aficionados would grumble at these...
Bourbon, I'm liking Woodford, Makersmark (orig) and Jack D legacy edition 2.
Single malt scotch, Glenfiddich 12 year, Highland Park Viking honour 12 year.
Blended scotch, as Uncle A says JW black or green.

All are mellow, smooove, won't break the bank and will keep for ages!
It’s funny because Maker’s mark was the first bourbon I tried and it actually put me off bourbon for a while until I tried some other ones and realized that’s not what they all taste like. :huh:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It’s funny because Maker’s mark was the first bourbon I tried and it actually put me off bourbon for a while until I tried some other ones and realized that’s not what they all taste like. :huh:
Didn't Makers Mark get in trouble a few years ago for putting the wrong bourbon in their premium bottles?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I haven't had a scotch a while and was in the mood for the past coulpe of nights. Normally we have a bottle of the Kirkland 1.75L ($37.99) in the house but I guess we were out. Then I found a bottle of McCallan 12 Year old in the cabinet. Boy that did the job and satisfied the craving.
Need advice for a whisky: I know very little of whiskey/bourbon/Scotch but am often sent to the market whilst on ski trips with little guidance from the whisky drinkers in my group. What would you recommend as a safe bet everyone enjoys and is mass-produced enough to be commonly found in stores across the Rockies/Sierras? Something expensive enough so I don’t look like a miser, yet good value so I’m not wasting too much money on something I will likely not drink. Oh the stress of choosing bottle. Thank you :)
The McCallan is good, and not so strong a character that it will put some folks off.
Glenlivet also works.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re-gifting from another thread. Tried to quote it, but got messed up finding it with search and then posting in the wrong thread. (and I haven't even had a scotch!)
OTE]

nice ... I needed something like this even if it's off or overly subjective. Just need to target ones I've had .. if I like or dislike and have basis for trying others

that's one thing with more expensive stuff, I fret buying something I just won't palette ...

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah I've bought a couple of relatively expensive bottles that have been major disappointments. There are also quite a few that I thought were good but not necessarily worth the cost. On the rare occasions I'm at a bar with a good top shelf selection I'll splurge if they have something I've wanted to try.

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
@François Pugh The flavor profile map is very cool and I can superimpose a map of Colorado and choose our tipple based on the location of the mountian.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier

Oh no! Funny how individual tastes can be eh? I quite like Makers Mark. But then I like most bourbons and whiskeys. I've had some awful rums and tequilas which nearly put me off for life though :geek:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just cracked open this bottle that picked up today. Just a bit better than the standard Breckenridge at about the same cost. My local discounter usually comes through with their selections(I even liked the maker's mark select they picked).
IMG_1097.jpg

Robertito

Getting on the lift
Skier
Discovered that at 67, I lurve Scotch madly. Wish this had happened 30 years ago.

In grouped order of descending preference of what I have purchased/tasted since early 2019—

Tier 1—
Unpeated/lightly peated
Bunnahabhain 18 (bought 2 more in a near-panic— seems to be gone from Chicago market)
Springbank 12 Cask Strength (also bought 2 more, not to be found)
Mortlach 16

Peated
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength batches 010 and 011
Compass Box No Name

Tier 2—
unpeated
Highland Park 18
Springbank 10
Clynelish 14
Glencadam 15

peated

Longrow Peated Campbeltown NAS
Ardbeg 10
Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength
Compass Box No Name 2 (a hint of cloyingness compared to the original above)

Tier 3—
unpeated
Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14
Balvenie Doublewood 12

On a good day, I can see any of the Tier 2 items graduating to Tier 1. The Tier 3 bottles never threaten advancement, and the Tier 1 gems never fail to impress.

Additionally, I now have some difficulty consuming bourbon (usually Four Roses Single Barrel) and rum (Zafra) outside of cocktails, and am glad I own very little of these. Pikesville rye is still a treat, though.

dave-o

Booting up
Skier
Robertito, surprised at the low scores for the Balvenies, any particular reason?

Sponsor