• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm almost out of Templeton Rye. Now contemplating replacing with another Rye. Anyone have a suggestion for something smoother, more accessible and maybe local to SFBA or Tahoe? I'm not into heavy peat and would like to support local if possible. I'm going to guess a tasting bar is a no go right now.

Edit: Should have searched a little before asking here. Looks like.quite a few to choose from.
Pikesville happens to be probably one of my favorite Ryes. I'm also a big lover of High West Double Rye. Both are readily attainable expressions.

FWIW. Many of your "local" Ryes will be sourced from MGP.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW. Many of your "local" Ryes will be sourced from MGP.
I don't know how much control "distilleries" that source from MGP have. Maybe MGP sells different streams at different price points. There seems to be a wide range in style and quality for end products that start with MGP juice.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know how much control "distilleries" that source from MGP have. Maybe MGP sells different streams at different price points. There seems to be a wide range in style and quality for end products that start with MGP juice.
They have a number of mash bills they offer, more than I even realized. I've noticed the trend for MGP sourced juice is younger and younger. I suspect the "well" is going to run dry evenutally. The question then becomes how many of these start-ups can produce a quality product of their own? I know I have not heard much in the way of positive reviews of Boone County and Blaum Brothers distillates.

In related news MGP inked a deal to acquire Luxco this week.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
[dons extra curmudgeon hat]

This is what happens when you have "brands" - i.e., when you have packaging whose labels tell you nothing real about the origins of the product. In the wine world - well, in MY wine world, anyway - this is precisely what differentiates an actual wine from a wine-shaped beverage. It's not that the wine-shaped beverage can't be nice to drink. It certainly can. It's just that it's not fundamentally interesting because it doesn't tell you anything about the farmer who grew the grapes or about the earth they grew on or about the history of the vineyard or the weather that year or ... etc. You might as well put it in a black-and-white can labeled "wine."

[back to habitual single curmudgeon hat]

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
6693BD5E-16AC-43D3-A962-1CCBB2BE1743.jpeg
Tonight’s selection. I’m terrible with picking out flavors but I definitely get notes of toffee and of course lots of oak.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

This is what happens when you have "brands" - i.e., when you have packaging whose labels tell you nothing real about the origins of the product. In the wine world - well, in MY wine world, anyway - this is precisely what differentiates an actual wine from a wine-shaped beverage. It's not that the wine-shaped beverage can't be nice to drink. It certainly can. It's just that it's not fundamentally interesting because it doesn't tell you anything about the farmer who grew the grapes or about the earth they grew on or about the history of the vineyard or the weather that year or ... etc. You might as well put it in a black-and-white can labeled "wine."

Piling on/drifting: and how about some physical/chemical characteristics, besides just minimal alcohol content???

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Has anyone tried this, a friend shared it with me and said it was good, but I am not familiar with it.
1611945100657.png

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Close enough?
generic_red_wine_label-rf16553014bc841618a712f92027e1e88_khoi6_704.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes. It has been a while so I don't quite remember the flavor but it was definitely on the sweeter side. It was good enough I went through a few bottles before I tried something I liked better.
Thanks

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Aw, c’mon Tony, tell us how you really feel!

Sponsor