• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While we were in NH for the ski demos we picked up a bottle of Mad River bourbon. It was pretty good but still not my absolute favorite.
I like their rye. Don't remember their bourbon, but I'm not a bourbon fan in general.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Someone get me a bottle of this. I really need to know what it tastes like!
20210517_145854.jpg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Someone get me a bottle of this. I really need to know what it tastes like!
View attachment 134112
Double whoa! The Wall St Journal had an article today about people not recognizing their co-workers with their masks off - could that person taking the picture be what the real @Andy Mink looks like, without goggles, helmet and orange trousers ('cos I've only seen him in the aforesaid)???

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Double whoa! The Wall St Journal had an article today about people not recognizing their co-workers with their masks off - could that person taking the picture be what the real @Andy Mink looks like, without goggles, helmet and orange trousers ('cos I've only seen him in the aforesaid)???
Yep, no masks required in Costco in Tucson.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Damn! Every time this thread pops up; I start drinking one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer. You peeps are a bad influence on me. Excuse me while I go get some more scotch.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A nice, balanced sip. A little on the sweet side with some caramel.
20210608_200310.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another very good Kirkland product. I had had a wee sip when I got home and found it very smooth with just enough smoke to give it some pop. Not in the same league as Ardbeg but for those who like a bit of peat and smoke it's definitely a good choice. Oh, and <$40.
20210615_151628.jpg 20210615_151641.jpg 20210615_151654.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another very good Kirkland product. I had had a wee sip when I got home and found it very smooth with just enough smoke to give it some pop. Not in the same league as Ardbeg but for those who like a bit of peat and smoke it's definitely a good choice. Oh, and <$40.
View attachment 135892 View attachment 135893 View attachment 135894
That was tasty.
Today I'm feeling a little scratchy after a dusty, pollen riddled ride so I'm soothing my throat with this.
I can't seem to find Eagle Rare around here anymore, but I picked up this bottle when I was picking up my bike in San Diego a few weeks ago.
11F8FDA2-6883-4546-8A7B-A7F9615BCE68.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the whiskeys I really want to try is Whistle Pig, but I have never taken the plunge to buy a bottle. Always revert back to the old stand bys

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
One of the whiskeys I really want to try is Whistle Pig, but I have never taken the plunge to buy a bottle. Always revert back to the old stand bys
The one bottle of Whistle Pig I bought was less than impressive. I don't recall which one but I might have posted it earlier in this thread.
Eagle Rare is still available around here but the price has gone up significantly most places. It's not the bargain it used to be.

View attachment 135892 View attachment 135893 View attachment 135894
I wonder who makes it for them. Unfortunately NY has stupid liquor laws so I can't get liquor at Costco or wine at Trader Joe's(except at one store in NYC :rolleyes:).

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That was tasty.
Today I'm feeling a little scratchy after a dusty, pollen riddled ride so I'm soothing my throat with this.
I can't seem to find Eagle Rare around here anymore, but I picked up this bottle when I was picking up my bike in San Diego a few weeks ago.
View attachment 135895
That bottle is going faster than the bike!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder who makes it for them.
One guess I saw is Caol Ila. I've never had it so I don't know. Whoever it is has to be able to produce a metric s-ton of the stuff! Alexander Murray seems to be the main supplier but they get the goods from all over.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That bottle is going faster than the bike!
I only had one sip. The other glasses were the other Kirkland bottle, which is also good, but much more casual. That reminds me....I owe you a bottle of scotch.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The one bottle of Whistle Pig I bought was less than impressive. I don't recall which one but I might have posted it earlier in this thread.

They've recently released several some "mid-point" whiskeys e.g. Piggyback and Farmstock, which I was not impressed with. The foundational 10 year old is delicious, if pricey. Haven't tried the 12, 15, 0r 18 year olds, as anything older than around 10 years all starts to taste the same to my brutalized taste buds.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are lots of different Whistle Pigs. Some are quite good, and others are, well, let's just say disappointing. The first year "farmstock" was pretty bad.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are lots of different Whistle Pigs. Some are quite good, and others are, well, let's just say disappointing. The first year "farmstock" was pretty bad.
Which is your favorite?

Sponsor

Staff online