• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
More of a Bourbon guy.

good cheaper Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig Small Batch. Easily found and all nice and smooth neat.
I tend to lean toward bourbon as well, but sometimes I get the urge to drink some scotch.
Tonight I'm enjoying this.
1633242B-026E-4B80-844D-62332B6A9DE0.JPG

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do like Glenlivet as well but prefer Auchentoshan.
Love Auchentoshan. One of my favorites, but not easy to find around here. Only available at two liquor stores that I'm aware of.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you like big and smoky with some iodine you'll love Ardbeg 10. It's a beast. Its nose can be off-putting to many (that's the iodine/medicinal smell) but on the palate it is very balanced. It's not a beginner scotch.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Apicem-AZ

Booting up
Skier
On the topic of Ardbeg smoke, I just received a bottle of Ardbeg Scorch (not the limited edition version) and thoroughly enjoyed that first sample. The mention of a dragon roaming Warehouse 3 on Islay seems apt.

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Love Auchentoshan. One of my favorites, but not easy to find around here. Only available at two liquor stores that I'm aware of.
So, if you're into the lowlands then you might want to try Glenkinchie - as part of the Johnnie Walker empire it's slightly more likely to make it to your neck of the woods than the less well travelled Auchentoshan.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, if you're into the lowlands then you might want to try Glenkinchie - as part of the Johnnie Walker empire it's slightly more likely to make it to your neck of the woods than the less well travelled Auchentoshan.
Thanks I'll look for it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Weird a ton of people say that but I am not a fan of larceny and Knob Creek is ok.

I do like Eagle Rare when I can find it. Actually a bowling alley locally has it all the time lol, and Monarch Mountain does to, for the record.
Eagle Rare is quite good and is readily available around here but the price has gone up substantially.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Eagle Rare is quite good and is readily available around here but the price has gone up substantially.
Eagle Rare is a favorite of mine but is quite Rare to find around here.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tend to lean toward bourbon as well, but sometimes I get the urge to drink some scotch.
Tonight I'm enjoying this.
View attachment 145041
There are those who would react as "Aaaaaargh! She's put ice in a single malt scotch!!!! How will she appreciate the bouquet?". Such people would recommend merely a touch of water to "open it up". I am acquainted with at least one such person whose first name is "Rob".

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
She had it on a flight of single malts so I was not sure about the age OR price!
The 10 year is one of their “lesser” offerings. They have a blend that is a bit cheaper and still tastes pretty good. The price climbs pretty quickly with their higher end stuff. If I’m going more expensive I’d probably go with Lagavulin 16 year.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
There are those who would react as "Aaaaaargh! She's put ice in a single malt scotch!!!! How will she appreciate the bouquet?". Such people would recommend merely a touch of water to "open it up". I am acquainted with at least one such person whose first name is "Rob".
A single cube in a relatively heavy pour might be acceptable, in warm weather but I usually don’t drink scotch in the summer.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bought this for my wife for a birthday, but it is a little too smokey for her. She had raved about a Laphroaig, but it turned out to be a older smoother bottle.
Quarter Cask is definitely a bit nicer as is the 25yr old which is getting into big $ though. Love Islay Scotch and usually have a decent selection of them. Caol ILa and Lagavulin are my favs.
Islay Mist is an 8 year old blend with Speyside and Islay(Laphroaig) whiskies that is an insane deal at $33 CAN/$25 US. Not as strong character as Laphroaig so a nice “daily driver” Scotch. Lol

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Quarter Cask is definitely a bit nicer as is the 25yr old which is getting into big $ though. Love Islay Scotch and usually have a decent selection of them. Caol ILa and Lagavulin are my favs.
Islay Mist is an 8 year old blend with Speyside and Islay(Laphroaig) whiskies that is an insane deal at $33 CAN/$25 US. Not as strong character as Laphroaig so a nice “daily driver” Scotch. Lol
I saw the Islay Mist but balked because I was skeptical that it would be good at that price point. I'll have to give it a try.

Sponsor

Staff online