• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are those who would react as "Aaaaaargh! She's put ice in a single malt scotch!!!! How will she appreciate the bouquet?". Such people would recommend merely a touch of water to "open it up". I am acquainted with at least one such person whose first name is "Rob".
You'll have to teach me how to drink properly.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I saw the Islay Mist but balked because I was skeptical that it would be good at that price point. I'll have to give it a try.
I chuckled when I saw the price and figured “why not” and gave it a go. When I tried it, I thought it tasted almost like a blended Laphroaig. I then actually read the back label and saw it’s actually Laphroaig in there!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are those who would react as "Aaaaaargh! She's put ice in a single malt scotch!!!! How will she appreciate the bouquet?". Such people would recommend merely a touch of water to "open it up". I am acquainted with at least one such person whose first name is "Rob".
I like my bourbon and Scotch with a cube or two. I do stay away from water because, well, ice is water. When @Philpug, @Tricia, @AKMINK, and I did a Scotch class at Total Wine they did explain how a bit of water can open up the bouquet and the flavor profile.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like my bourbon and Scotch with a cube or two. I do stay away from water because, well, ice is water. When @Philpug, @Tricia, @AKMINK, and I did a Scotch class at Total Wine they did explain how a bit of water can open up the bouquet and the flavor profile.
But, but, but ... ice is FROZEN water, which will obviously reduce the temperature of the scotch, thereby preventing the volatile compounds evaporating and the drinker breathing in the full bouquet - and given that a truism of the Universe is that seemingly at the time amusing BS is then shared between all said drinkers (you have to be there :ogbiggrin:), why would one give up on that???? I do admit though that I am with @Ogg in that I tend to drink scotch in the winter months. But hey, this is a skiing forum where our favorite sport is a winter one and I'd therefore expect that the gatherings of skitalkers - complete with potential imbibing - would take place in wintry conditions!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not bad, not bad at all. A little bite at the front then softening to carmely, smooth finish. 20211015_191736.jpg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Quarter Cask is definitely a bit nicer as is the 25yr old which is getting into big $ though. Love Islay Scotch and usually have a decent selection of them. Caol ILa and Lagavulin are my favs.
Islay Mist is an 8 year old blend with Speyside and Islay(Laphroaig) whiskies that is an insane deal at $33 CAN/$25 US. Not as strong character as Laphroaig so a nice “daily driver” Scotch. Lol
My local discounter is having a BOGO for $1 sale on selected items so I stopped in to get some wine but I also grabbed a bottle of Islay Mist for $20:geek:. It is an amazing buy, IMO. I can definitely taste the Laphroaig in the blend. Thanks for the recommendation.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My local discounter is having a BOGO for $1 sale on selected items so I stopped in to get some wine but I also grabbed a bottle of Islay Mist for $20:geek:. It is an amazing buy, IMO. I can definitely taste the Laphroaig in the blend. Thanks for the recommendation.
That’s a great deal!

I think the very first time I bought it was the time I saw this older couple with an overflowing cart at the liquor store buying for party with list in hand. I heard his wife say in a loud voice as I was standing near the Scotch section “We just need an IS-LAY Scotch and we are done”. They grabbed Islay Mist as it was right in the name and then I was curious to try it. Haha

Always announce that “I’m going to pour some IS-LAY Mist” as I grab it out of the cabinet to myself. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgot to mention --also keep an eye out for Bunnahabhain, which I believe exports to NA in bulk. It's an Islay, but unpeated, so it's stylistically a Lowland
I'm on it! 20211019_164050.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
View attachment 145947

2 on the left, ski tuning payment. Stillhouse, gift from the Pugs. Taste good in Wisconsin too. Thanks
Nice selection. I have never seen the Stillhouse around here and when I search for local distributors I only find restaurants I'm unikely to go to. I may have to order a bottle online unless there's an upcoming "skitalk edition" that I should be looking out for. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice selection. I have never seen the Stillhouse around here and when I search for local distributors I only find restaurants I'm unikely to go to. I may have to order a bottle online unless there's an upcoming "skitalk edition" that I should be looking out for. :roflmao:
I like that it comes in a single serving flask.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s a great deal!

I think the very first time I bought it was the time I saw this older couple with an overflowing cart at the liquor store buying for party with list in hand. I heard his wife say in a loud voice as I was standing near the Scotch section “We just need an IS-LAY Scotch and we are done”. They grabbed Islay Mist as it was right in the name and then I was curious to try it. Haha

Always announce that “I’m going to pour some IS-LAY Mist” as I grab it out of the cabinet to myself. :roflmao: